Thread: DB244 and DG344 information

Default DB244 and DG344 information

I've never posted before, but I've been a member for a couple of years now. I do appreciate reading what everyone has to say! I was extremely lucky this year and pulled 4 tags (and I'm a lady who just started hunting a few years ago...so I'll attest that to beginners luck!). I'm wondering if anyone might share information on the DG344 (Nellie Juan Lake area) or the DB244 (Halibut Bay area) permits? The other two I won are covered as I've either hunted it before or there's already loads of information collected through research. I've already scheduled a flyover for DG344, but unfortunately have yet to talk with a person that has firsthand experience with the area. As far as Kodiak, I have a bit of info on Grant's Lagoon, but that's just a tiny portion of the unit I drew. Do know that I did my research before applying, I'm just looking for firsthand experience in either of these areas. Any information anyone is willing to share is greatly appreciated and I'll gladly pay it forward!

Snowbunny,

You don't have enough postings to get PM's so email me at randyrex907@gmail.com and I will offer some pointers that might help.

Randy

Thanks a lot Randy,

I just sent you an email...so here's to post No. 2!

Who are you flying in with? My wife and I hunted Nellie Juan Lake two years ago with Scenic Mountain Air out of Trail Lake (Moose Pass). We didn't take a goat, but figured a few things out. I'd be happy to share more later when I've got a few minutes.

Whoa,,, that's a new and untried angle... use the name "snowbunny" to ask hunt related questions....BRILLIANT!!! LOL....

Welcome and good luck on your hunts

Snowbunny, you might try to contact Joe Want, a forum member. He guided Halibut bay for years.

Thanks Brian. I corresponded with Sharksinthesalsa a few weeks ago and he mentioned you and your wife may have hunted that goat tag before. How was the terrain and weather? Did you spot any goats when you flew in? Scenic Mountain Air is the company we will be flying in with. I've also reserved a cabin for the first few nights we're there, but we do plan on hiking from there and setting up shop elsewhere.

I was going to go with CMLTOE, but I figured I'd let my maturity rule on the name I'll forever have.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Whoa,,, that's a new and untried angle... use the name "snowbunny" to ask hunt related questions....BRILLIANT!!! LOL....

Welcome and good luck on your hunts

Thanks Roland, I will definitely contact him with a list of questions. I met Joe last year during one of his bear skinning presentations. Extremely helpful and an absolute wonderful pleasure to listen to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Snowbunny, you might try to contact Joe Want, a forum member. He guided Halibut bay for years.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
    I was going to go with CMLTOE, but I figured I'd let my maturity rule on the name I'll forever have.
    Well ...it beats "mooseknuckle"!

Best of luck, sorry I dont have any useful info for ya!

A cabin? I assume you're flying in to Paradise Lakes, then? We hunted Nellie Juan Lake, and as far as I know there isn't a cabin there. Maybe there's one on the other end of the lake that I don't know about? Anyhow, we didn't spot any goats when we flew in because the clouds were quite low. We spotted some on two different ridges as soon as we were on the ground and the clouds lifted, though. One pair of goats would have been an easy hunt that day, but due to same-day-airborne rules we couldn't hunt them that evening. We went up there the next morning and never saw a trace of those goats again - they simply disappeared. As for the other group of goats we saw, we were turned back by a river that we weren't comfortable crossing. If I did that hunt again I would bring my packraft to get across it. It looked like a pretty straightforward approach if only we were on the other side of that river.

The terrain...well, it's goat terrain. Some of it is very managable, while some of it is very steep and dangerous. There was another goat that hung out above our camp, but there was simply no way to approach him without ropes and he would have likely fallen 2-3,000'.

The biggest reason we struck out was simply lack of time. We budgeted 5 days, but lost one day on both ends due to weather. We only had one real day of hunting, so not surprisingly it didn't work out. No regrets, though - it is a spectacular area. Make sure you have a black bear tag - there are lots of them in the area.

Hey that was my thought process when I came up w/ my name! you should have seen the childish ones I had in mind before I settled on a more "mature" handle.....

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

kxj66ni

Thanks Roland, I will definitely contact him with a list of questions. I met Joe last year during one of his bear skinning presentations. Extremely helpful and an absolute wonderful pleasure to listen to.
    My dad listened to his talk about sheep and bear about 30 years ago i went about 4 years ago and hope to take my boy and girl to his talk next spring if it is given. just as much information about hunting moose as caribou as about beaqrs.
    kxj66ni

snowbunny, I drew dg344 as well this year and hunted from the road, hauled out a nice 8 14/16 10 year old billie. we hunted the first glacier basin on the north side of the mountian form the road. if you havnt allready taken your animal there were at least 3 other billie's in there. its a pretty burly hike in from the road but its possible. good luck and hike safe

Congrats Rabbit...he's a beaut!! And the weather sure looks nice in the picture. Thanks for the heads up. I'm still trying to plan time off of work and school, but I'm pretty hellbent in making it happen. Luckily the season doesn't close till Oct. 15

Great goat, Rabbit. He's an old timer for sure!

Congrats on a successful hunt.
    Proud to be an American!

hey guys i drew dg344 this year and had a few questions for those that know the area. with the long season would you recommend early or late? schedule is pretty flexible except for haul road bow hunt aug 20-30. was planning on flying with scenic mt air to nellie juan lake and hunt from there but sounds like hiking in is doable. both hunters are in good shape and not worried about the hike but would flying in increase our hunting time and chances significantly? buddy would like to get a black bear or some ptarmigan after we bag a billy. will there be bears in the mountains or will they be down eating salmon? or maybe there's a salmon run in the nellie juan river? also would a fly rod be worth throwing in? thank you very much for any info and happy hunt planning guys and gals!