Thread: Going out of business????

Default Going out of business????

Heard from a guy at work that supposedly 30% of Kenai River guides and 40% of Valdez charters are not operating this year because of regulatory changes or slow fishing? Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Heard from a guy at work that supposedly 30% of Kenai River guides and 40% of Valdez charters are not operating this year because of regulatory changes or slow fishing? Any truth to this?
    I have no idea about Valdez but I can tell you that for a while now there has been a decline in number of guides on the Kenai, I think last year there was like 286?????? Which is down from 342 in 2002. For both the upper and lower Kenai and each year it seems they lose about 10 guides a year. But to answer your question yes there are some shutting down. And believe it or not there is a very few amount from out of state, last year there was only 16 for both the upper and lower river. But there are two reasons for the decline, one is the "lower" fish numbers and two, they were trying to limit the number of guides on the river in (2002) for two years, and keep it from over crowding.
    Now please keep in mind this is only what I have read and heard so it might not be 100% accurate but it is pretty close.

Kenai River guide numbers are down by about 100 from what they were three/four years ago. Lots of reasons I guess but I would not say that lower numbers of fish is one of the main reasons. Coho, sockeye, and rainbow fishing has been as steady as ever over this timeframe. King fishing has its ups & downs but the fact is that the first run has gone to bait four out of the last five years early so...

Economy, slot limit, Kenai being closed to king fishing last June (then reopened with BAIT but the damage had been done to clients plans), and the college class to name some of the main reasons behind what is going on with the guided industry on the Kenai.

Also, anyone can guide on the Kenai River as long as you meet the requirements such as having a Coast Guard license, insurance, and taking the week long college class.

Halibut guides around the Kenai Peninsula on the otherhand are now required to have "IFQ's" so the word is that as many as 30% of them are not going ot be able to guide for halibut any longer. Unless they purchase IFQ's from someone that qualified and recieved them for free I might add but that is another story for a different thread.

well the reds will always be strong...............because it is mang. for the comm guys not sport fishing........they wont let any thing happen to that run it's their bread and butter! Interesting point you bring up about the silvers and trout, they are going to start managing the silver runs now, I hope they mang. it for sport fishing instead of the comm guys. I hope they do stay strong along with the trout.

As for the class, I took it and it wasn't that bad or hard, there was a lot of good info passed in the class, but for guys who have worked the river for years on end I can see were it would be an inconvenience, or a waste of time. As for the requirements to be a guide there is a lot more to it then that, but those are the big things...........

Never said the class was bad or that it was hard to get a passing grade for those going thru it. What I said was that it is one reason that there are fewer guides now than there were three/four years ago. Now you have to "plan ahead" to become a Kenai River Guide and by looking at the wait list for this years class (over 25 potential guides on the list) not everyone is able to do this. If there was not a requirement to go through the college class those 25 folks on the wait list would be on the river this summer. Instead they will have to wait until there is either an opening or until next spring when another class is offered thus 25 less Kenai River Guides for 2011.

Never said that there were not more requirements to become a guide than those I listed as I simply did not feel the need as I thought that this thread was about "if & why there are fewer guides" not about what the requirements are.

What I meant by coho, rainbow, and sockeye fishing was that there are other options besides king fishing available on the Kenai.

I also disagree that the class is a waste of time for those that have worked the river for years. If nothing else it has provided a way to deal with social type of problems before they become regulations at the BOF level.

ice blue what type of social problems?

I'm not debating what you were saying, I was more or less pointing out there is more to what you were saying, so some one doesn't think that is all they need to do.

Ok I am sure I am going to get blasted for this about the class, but what I noticed and heard was that guys who have worked the river for a long time had problems with the instructors telling them one thing while they do the oppisite. To me it was like some of them would say you should all do this even though I don't type thing. For me the class was good and a lot of fun, I am glad I took it. But for the guys who have been doing this for 10 plus years I don't think it was worth their time based off the reactions from them, other then for them to be able to keep guiding on the river.

I dont know what problems your talking about..........I can only guess, but I am interested in hearing what the problems are. How they act on the river????????

In the past there was no way of dealing with a "social" type of problem except for additional restrictions to solve this problem at the BOF level. Example would be changing guide hours in May - July from 6am - 6pm to either 7am - 7pm or 8am - 4pm both of which were proposals before the BOF in 2008. Problem that these prosposal mentioned was that guides were impeding with the non guided angler prior to the 6am start time so they were asking that the hours to be changed. We asked the BOF to try and let us deal with this at the class instead of with a restriction. Prior to the class we had no way of trying to deal with these types of isues.

Another example is guides fishing for "silvers" the first part of August when they were actually targeting kings on both the Kasilof and the Kenai. BOF closed the area above the Sterling Highway on the Kasilof in 2008 for this reason and we have been talking to those in the class about not targeting kings in August on the Kenai in attempt to not get a section of the Kenai closed during this timeframe. Simply asking to allow to try and solve the problem this way before restricting the fishery. Also have had State Parks send out a cover letter with the stipulations addressing potential problems each year for those that have allready gone through the class.

There are and were a few long time guides that felt that the class was an inconvience. Wonder how they would feel if the lower Kenai was closed the first two weeks in August or if our hours were reduced because of the actions of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    In the past there was no way of dealing with a "social" type of problem except for additional restrictions to solve this problem at the BOF level. Example would be changing guide hours in May - July from 6am - 6pm to either 7am - 7pm or 8am - 4pm both of which were proposals before the BOF in 2008. Problem that these prosposal mentioned was that guides were impeding with the non guided angler prior to the 6am start time so they were asking that the hours to be changed. We asked the BOF to try and let us deal with this at the class instead of with a restriction. Prior to the class we had no way of trying to deal with these types of isues.

Another example is guides fishing for "silvers" the first part of August when they were actually targeting kings on both the Kasilof and the Kenai. BOF closed the area above the Sterling Highway on the Kasilof in 2008 for this reason and we have been talking to those in the class about not targeting kings in August on the Kenai in attempt to not get a section of the Kenai closed during this timeframe. Simply asking to allow to try and solve the problem this way before restricting the fishery. Also have had State Parks send out a cover letter with the stipulations addressing potential problems each year for those that have allready gone through the class.

There are and were a few long time guides that felt that the class was an inconvience. Wonder how they would feel if the lower Kenai was closed the first two weeks in August or if our hours were reduced because of the actions of a few.

Good points especially the guides fishing for "silvers" in the first 2 weeks in AUG up there. And I agree it sucks when every one gets punished for the actions of a few.