Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new pool toy

Default Got a new pool toy

Well after it was all said and done it came out to $150 for the upgrade to the 2011 style boat over the 2008 one I had prior.

The new one is supposed to track better in flat water as well as do a bit better in whitewater (not that it matters all that much there as I won't be hitting big Class IV with this anyways )

Pretty excited to get this in the water, but not so much so that I am anxious for the snow to melt. Spring riding is here!!!

Nice I picked my wife up one (the yak) for christmas. I'm using the older model boat (the llama). I'm ready to get the boats out for some hiking and rafting trips this summer. The big one planned is a week in the Wrangells in July.

That looks very nice, you guys have fun this summer. Can't wait for the report.

Now I have raft envy... LOL

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

OK, so the changes look like a new deck design that should keep you drier, and an extension to the stern that should add flotation and tracking. Is that about it? And what's that inflatable thing above the lap area? Part of the new deck design?

I've always thought these should have more stern flotation. They look like they're about to do an ender after every drop. The pointed design looks like a good way to do it and ought to help with tracking, even if just a bit.

$150 seems like a more than reasonable price for the mods.

Darn nice boat, can I ask you what they cost as I'm looking for something similar for the wife and I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well after it was all said and done it came out to $150 for the upgrade to the 2011 style boat over the 2008 one I had prior.

The new one is supposed to track better in flat water as well as do a bit better in whitewater (not that it matters all that much there as I won't be hitting big Class IV with this anyways )

Pretty excited to get this in the water, but not so much so that I am anxious for the snow to melt. Spring riding is here!!!

Is it possible to carry a mid size dog and pack with a ram in this?They look very handy i could use one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcam View Post
    Is it possible to carry a mid size dog and pack with a ram in this?They look very handy i could use one of these.
    There are several pics floating around the forum that would make you drool when it comes to alpacka rafts and rams!

Quote Originally Posted by La Pine View Post
    Darn nice boat, can I ask you what they cost as I'm looking for something similar for the wife and I?
    Here you are sir, https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cf...3&ProductID=68 I nearly bought one of these last year to stow on the boat.

Interesting...what is the total weight capacity your new "pool toy" can carry?
    Would this be a water craft for wilderness adventures only? Or for possibly sheep hunts also?
    I don't imagine it would carry enough weight for anything larger than northern caribou. (???)
    Does AK Raft and Kayak sell these. Or are they available only at shows like the upcoming Anch Sportsmans Show?

The explorer would haul a dog and gear, I would be concerned about their claws. The Alpaca website shows two adults in an Explorer, I have had about 100lbs and myself in mine. They are very capable little water craft.

They even make a nice bed when flipped upside down.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The explorer would haul a dog and gear, I would be concerned about their claws. The Alpaca website shows two adults in an Explorer, I have had about 100lbs and myself in mine. They are very capable little water craft.

They even make a nice bed when flipped upside down.

Steve
    I will check out there website.I could put boots on the dog and perhaps have her carry the raft as well.I have a draw for Stone sheep here in BC and one option is a 157 mile drift in no more than class 2 hitting the drainages along the way.It is a 3 mile portage to launch so one of these would be great as i could carry it over a few ranges and relaunch here and there.

ramcam, You may want to check out FEATHERCRAFT. They are made in BC and have one 8' long, 2 chambers, and offer either the fabric that the ALPAKA is made of or a H/D option that is twice as thick and not much more weight.
    I sell them here in Alaska, and am very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    ramcam, You may want to check out FEATHERCRAFT. They are made in BC and have one 8' long, 2 chambers, and offer either the fabric that the ALPAKA is made of or a H/D option that is twice as thick and not much more weight.
    I sell them here in Alaska, and am very pleased.
    I live near Vancouver where they are made i will go and have a look.They are only open 4 days a week.No wonder they are kinda pricey 4 days a week and there shop is in some of the most expensive retail space in Canada.Sheeesh Probably get a better price from you LOL

No worries- FEATHERCRAFT is -by far- the world leader in expedition folding kayaks. This is a yacht tender for them and is something they have much experience with. They built ALPACA'S for Sherri before she moved the company to Colorado.
    You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-27-2011 at 14:47. Reason: commercial messages prohibited

WELL- I hope this is not an "infraction" just wanted to let anyone interested that FEATHERCRAFT is now making a self bailer pac-raft!! Hoping to have one at the sportsman show.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    WELL- I hope this is not an "infraction" just wanted to let anyone interested that FEATHERCRAFT is now making a self bailer pac-raft!! Hoping to have one at the sportsman show.
    Goo
    Curious as to how that works.Water in the boat goes out through the bottom keeping the floor dry looks to be an inflatable floor?

You bet-- thats the only way a real self-bailer will work. Waiting for the prototype!!
    Goo

Default Interesting

The extended stern will help on curlying waves and will help against back ending in holes, and should, over-all, help prevent as many back-enders as seen in the past. The odd part, however, is the stern has no rocker, and I wonder how the water will effect the boat during ferry angle attempts.

As far as a self- bailer goes, in one man crafts, they are super useful when there is no eddy service, or any other circumstance, where you may have to just jump out, or back into your boat, very simple. Another good point is, when punching through holes, a boat full of water, with momentum, pulls through holes quite well, and if it drains fast you are ready for the next task.
    At any rate, Alaska Lanche, you have an ugly, very packable, IK looking boat, that I bet gives you years of good times. Nice choice, see you on the river.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    The extended stern will help on curlying waves and will help against back ending in holes, and should, over-all, help prevent as many back-enders as seen in the past. The odd part, however, is the stern has no rocker, and I wonder how the water will effect the boat during ferry angle attempts.

As far as a self- bailer goes, in one man crafts, they are super useful when there is no eddy service, or any other circumstance, where you may have to just jump out, or back into your boat, very simple. Another good point is, when punching through holes, a boat full of water, with momentum, pulls through holes quite well, and if it drains fast you are ready for the next task.
    At any rate, Alaska Lanche, you have an ugly, very packable, IK looking boat, that I bet gives you years of good times. Nice choice, see you on the river.
    Mark

All good points Mark. Thanks. You got it right on the ugly part. Certainly not pleasing to the eye. But I have always been a form follows function guy so long as it works. Still gotta show me the ropes on Willow Creek this summer. We WILL make that happen.

Nice boat Luke, now put it away and get your work boots on...its time
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast