Thread: new member and "express rifle" fan

Default new member and "express rifle" fan

Howdy all.
    Just wanted to say hello. I'm a new member and although you seem much more knowlagable than I, I'll do my best to add to the conversation more than detract from it. I'd also like to prewarn you that my computer skills/spelling is awful.
    Alitle about myself I'm a outdoor nut and new father my son is 4 months old. Right now I'm mostly a stay at home dad but I also biuld custum furniture and boats, mostly cannoes and kayaks. I'm orrigonally from the upper penninsual of Michigan and have worked as a flyfishing and kayaking guide in Michigan California and Alaska.
    As far as the shooting sports go I'm a single shot and double rifle fan. I'm totally bonkers over my T.C Contender and love the rugger no. 1. Although I'll never be able to aford one I also am a big fan of the firearms from Krieghoff, Merkel, and especailly J. Purdey and sons. I gess I have champain and caviar taste on a beer and watermelon budget.Thanks for your time.

Rick

Default Welcome...

Rick,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the little one. Make a shooter out of him.

I'm with you on the double rifles. I've had hold of many of them but never owned one. I do plan to change that if possible. I like the Ruger No.1's also and they are coming out with a 450/400 NE in one of those supposedly this year. That would be a poor mans double rifle I guess a...single rifle in a NE caliber.

You left out one of the best doubles of today, the Chapuis. Mighty fine working double. Of course about any of the old English makers guns would be ok.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy;

I'm already looking at diferent 1/2 scale .22's for my son Gunther, the cricket(I think it's a rugger) looks nice and there are several others I'm looking at.My wife and I had him out ice fishing at 4weeks old but I think I'll wait awhile before I take him to the range, it's the only place I dont take him with me and frankly Dad needs a break once in awhile. My Dad had me on the range when I was about 5, depending on Gunther's behavior at that age I'll probably do the same.

No.1 in 450/400 ne I'm sellin my bush car and getting one!!!!!
    I kinda look at my TC as a poormans express rifle in fact I'll be posting a new thread(dont konw if thats the rghit way too cal it) about plans I have to get a custom barrel.

TC guns rock. I am an Encore fan. The TC are tack drivers and are a hoot to shoot!

Default Welcome

There's a sense of romance and adventure associated with an EXPRESS style double that is sort of universal. Seems everyone wants one but our tastes and hunting styles really don't support the need for one. Can you imagine carrying a double up the side of a mountain sheep or goat hunting (at 10-14 lbs)? I myself always wanted a double 12 bore paradox express rifle.
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new young'un.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

BravO1

I have no desire too haul an "express" up the montian for sheep or goat I have a hard enough time getting my own big but up there, but a Krieghoff stlaking rifle in say 7mm ohhhh ya.

How about Moose or Grizz with a double in 375H&H or if your lucky enough to draw a permit for them bison!!!

I really feel that todays firearms have totally lost that sense of romance and adventure, I have a bolt action 300wm thats a great shooter but I hate it. There's no artistry to it no romance it's just cold hard technology.

And with all do respect to my felow hunters/shooters, many if not most of you are more knowlagable than I, I trully feel we've lostsight of the sport in hunting for favor of gadgets. Thats one of the reasons I love too hunt with my buddy Fritz. He's a flint lock shooter and dose'nt take anything into the feild that did'nt exisist in 1800, including his clothes. Untortunatly he's still in Michigan and I havent been able to hunt with him in years.

Thanks all for the congrats on my son. Gunther is a handfull allready and frustrating as hell at times but I'm glad he's here.It took 40 years for me too growup enough to become a dad. I just pray he is'nt as wild as I was. I still appolgise to my folks everytime I see them for what I put them through.

A Yooper eh?

If you can't afford a double then buy something close. Look around for a used ZKK-602 in .458 and have it opened up to .450 Watts. Then you can still shoot .458 Win and .458 Lott in it. If you are feeling adventurous, have it rechambered to .460 Weatherby.
    If you find one in .416 Rigby you are good to go, and for less than a grand to boot.
    If you want to become a member of the .500 club, have it rebarreled to .500 A-Square.

But then again, you can have CZ put you together a .505 Gibbs for $2500 and that is about as cool as a '69 ZL1 'Vette.

Ya dar Nitroman Thanks for the welcome I got a couple of things in the works that will hoppfully get me a little closer to my ideal gun. We'll see what happens.Sorry for my ignorance but ZKK-602??

Default Express yourself

The Ruger is a good start... interesting their new adds for the 9.3 and 400 Jeffrey talk as if a classic African caliber isn;t already in the line-up. Eleanor, my Ruger No.1 416 Rigby is as Africa as the 400. The .416 is a hard kicker...but so fun dropping those Norma cases into the chamber.

The ZKK-602 is the fore-runner to the CZ-500. I think the older ZKK is a much nicer looking animal. Especially the stock. It is dropped at the butt for offhand shooting and has a nice slender forearm that doesn't look (or feel), like a club.

I had my ZKK rechambered from .375 H&H to the .375 Weatherby about 3 months before Weatherby brought it back to production. I really wanted something different. Oh well.

Thanks guys
    Nitroman you want somthing dierent hu how about a 50bmg based on the ruger no.1 action? Saw one over at the gun show, kinda ugly, definatly not a express nor my cup of tea but really diferent.