Thread: Any good recipes for moose soup(stew)?

Default Any good recipes for moose soup(stew)?

Just seeing if anyone has any knock out recipes for moose soup..Thanks

I usually take 2-3 lbs. of clean moose stew meat, and place it into about 3-5 qts of water. Add a couple tsp. of your preferred salt of choice, a couple tsp. freshly-ground black pepper, a couple of drops of tobasco sauce, a modest 'glug' of worchestershire sauce, your preferred amount of either fresh garlic (pressed) or granulated garlic, 4 or 5 bay leaves, one or two sweet onions chopped coarsely, and perhaps 5-8 beef boullion cubes (or even real boullion of similar equivalent). Boil/simmer until the meat is approaching a tender state.

I then add a couple TBSP of molasses, 2-3 TBSP of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, a can or two of tomato paste, a dash of either maple syrup or honey, and add cubed or other processed 'stew-size-chunks' of freshly cut potatoes (perhaps 8 or 10 spuds, depending on the size of the stew pot you're preparing), between 5 and 8 good, stout, firm sweet carrots, 5-8 stalks of fresh celery (both carrots and celery cut how ever you like them in your stew), if you like, another sweet onion, perhaps some fresh or frozen green beans, sweet corn kernels (I prefer white corn), and perhaps some green sweet peas.

Cook until it's well cooked on medium low heat.

Once you add the tomato paste the stew will be more prone to burning to the bottom of the stock pot, so you'll need to stir it more often than you might otherwise if you were simply bouiling the meat. For that reason, sometimes we wait until the stew's almost finished to add the tomato paste. If you like more of a minnestrone appearance or flavor, you can add an additional can of tomato paste, or even a 16 oz. can of tomatoe sauce or home-made tomato sauce in similar proportion.

Eat with home made buiscuits, toasted bread, etc.

A healthy meal in a bowl..

Edit: The above recipe feeds a family of five for several days, and can easily transition into a tasty shepherd's pie or...... ?

Edit #2: I nearly fogot to add that my wife prefers it when I -don't- thicken the stew. I prefer thickened stew. You can (if this is an issue in your home) divide the stew into halves while still hot, and for the one you wish to thicken, use either a small amount of milk or water, with either an appropriate amount of corn starch or flour (one or the other; your choice), and stir briskly as you stir the mixture into the stew, so as to get it diffused evenly, before it can set up into a chunky mess.

I have to admit that your inital question/request reminded me of a discussion I had with a Ukranian friend in the Yukon Territory a few years ago. I asked her if she could share with me her recipe for traditional Ukranian perogies. Perogies are a fairly basic, one-size-fits-all traditional cultural accompaniment to nearly any old meal in the Ukraine. She told me that my request was "similar to asking someone in the States to share their favorite recipe for toast." That it was -that- basic of a process to anyone who grew up in a Ukranian home.

In the case of moose stew, or stew in general, it seems that many folks who've spent any amount of real time cooking for others in their home,workplace, etc., simply have a group of ingredients they tend to throw together, often in some form of a particular order, until it becomes 'old hat.'