Thread: I got me one!

Default I got me one!

Well after listening to all of you guys and the warm weather kicking in I had to do something. I found a 19' grumman and a new 2.5 merc 4 stroke for 1200.00. It's in great shape and only a couple of battle scratches. I'll have to wait to afford the HB but this will get me out on the water wetting a line.

I remember reading about one member spraying the inside with bed liner. Just wondering how that worked out and who did it.

Sid, I think that I remember you doing the bottom of yours but do you or anyone else have pictures of how you bolted the lift. Makes me a little nervious dilling holes in it.

For those of you that have larger motors on the back of yours, What sizes are you using and what do they weight?

Thanks for all of the help and inspiration.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Man, that's a great deal, Tom! Congratulations!

Congrats,
    It should compliment your Aire Traveler quite well. For dedicated subsistence traveling rivers accessible by road, the Grumman will help keep the price of salmon, moose meat, and caribou reasonable. It will also allow you to get away from the ATV crowds. Your Aire Traveler is plenty capable of fun trips and fly-out destinations while still capable of being motored with the proper frame. You're attempting to move up here right?

Thanks guys and the plan is to move as soon as the wife is done with school. I had a set back with my property. A neighbor let the back take back his 60 acres and they dumped it on the market for 125K so now selling my 30 is tough. I need the money to fund the move so we may build a house on it and then put it on the market. The old saying"spend money to make money" not sure really how to play this and it killing me.

I plan to continue the process and we'll get there one way or another but may be latter than sooner.

I will keep getting the things necessary to have when I get there for good. Right now I'll have to settle for making the trip once or twice a year. I'm going to try to get it registered tomarrow and take my daughter fishing thursday. It won't be Salmon or nice rainbows but the worse day fishing anywhere is better.........right?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Mariner. Just wonder if you ever used the Durabak on the bottom of your canoe and how it worked. Also, did you ever spray or do anything to the inside of your canoe and how it has worked out for you.

Thanks for the help and input.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

we "bounced" around the idea of spraying the smooth dura back.....but I decided not to. I figured out that my cross link 3 hulls of the Discovery Sport canoes were made of polyethylene, it naturally drug over everything with no damage. That's why I never used it. It turns out that duraback doesn't hold up well anyways. One forum member used the rough stuff with terrible results. Your best bet is to do what SID did.....with the aluminum c-channel. I'd also bolt a wear strip of UHMW inside each aluminum c-channel that extends a 1/2" past the c-channel with carriage bolts that were counter-sunk. That'd be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    For those of you that have larger motors on the back of yours, What sizes are you using and what do they weight?

Thanks for all of the help and inspiration.
    We typically run the old 9.9 or 15hp 2-strokes mounted on a lift. Probably pushes the boat around 12-14 mph fully loaded (I mean fully, not just up to/near the technical capacity). The motors weigh about 75 lbs. With the lifts and extension handles, we can run either sitting or standing depending on the need.

Default canoe

the frist question do you need a lift ? down in your part ofthe states the rivers are slow an clear, right now my canowe is snowed in about 2/3 weeks can get it out,
    if you are only running down south, try a transom extenation build up the transon about 5 to 7 inches with some good wood an bolt it on [caveration plate even with the bottom of canoe] an get a tiller extenation [long one] an try it out it works great, I did that for about 2 years in up state Maine when I was there, drop me a PM if I can help,

SID

If you're having motor problems you can send it to Juneau and I'll test it out for you. Those little things are expensive. My scanoe only cost $50.00.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I really like what you did sid. Do you have and pictures of the bolting on the inside. How long are the strips and can you tell me what the specs on the channel. Where would you look to find that kind of thing? What sealant/adhesive did you use?

Mariner - I think that I like the idea of adding the UHMW.

I'm going to have to figure out the transom situation and post some pictures. The short shaft looks to be the perfect length.

The rivers are slow but anything but clear. Plenty of rivers and lakes north that are rocky and I want to get it ready for alaska

How about the serial number on this is 181
    Semper Fi and God Bless

your canoe was made in 1981. I'd look in the phone book for a metal fabrication shop or steel shop. Up here, whenever I need some metal to build something, I go to Alaska Steel. Whenever I need UHMW cut to my specs......I go to Signature Plastics. I'd assume you might have shops down there too.

tboehm,
    I don't know about canoes, but recall some comments about them being tippy.
    There were comments about the stern here: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eighter-Canoes
    Maybe others here know or know better. Good luck.

They maybe a little LEECH but we took it out thursday for the first time and it ran great. No LEAKS! I will say that I do want something bigger than the 2.5 hp. It scooted along nicely though. The wind was blowing hard and the fishing didn't work out but the maiden voyage was a success.

Semper Fi and God Bless

Default great pictures tboehm

Thanks, that looks like a fine canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    tboehm,
    I don't know about canoes, but recall some comments about them being tippy.
    Note how wide tboehm's canoe is (see the tapemeasure). His is looking pretty stable in the pics.

My 19' Scott Albany canoe is over a foot wider in the middle, and my transom over twice the width; that and the flat bottom is how I get away with running a 125# motor on the back, and still its not tippy at all. I've even sat on top of the outboard before, when I needed the prop to get more bite.

I've had mine in 3 foot plus waves to traverse a 9 mile stretch, and never once did I think I was going over. Never once did I stop bailing though. A tiller in one hand, and a cut out plastic milk jug (with the handle still intact) in the other.

it looks like you got to have a good trip with your MISS. just remember that the Grummen is not a big water canoe waves it don't like, the rig you got will do a lot for you use it for the season an make up your mine what you want to do, you can get your money back anytime you want. looking at the area you showed you don't need much more that you have except a larger motor an built up, transom about 4 inchs to raze the motor a bit, if you go larger motor you will not be able to trol with it [to fast ] you will have to drag something to slow the canoe down you do need a tiller extenation get a long one
    non flex [ I like ] you can cut it if needbe

a while back you asked about the inside of my canoe I don't have any all I did was use very short bolts [ aircraft ] with logking nuts fint thread an locking , an drilled only into the ribs not into the rivits it will take a little planing but it can be dun [don't think you need it] SID

That's a good looking ride, man! Congratulations.

On a moose hunt, 2008, I saw a guy cruising Salchaket Slough in a square back canoe...standing with extended tiller in one hand and the other on his AR (type rifle) slung around his neck. I admire efficiency in the woods and thought - that dude has figured something out. Not that much invested in the whole package (compared to the air boats and jet boats running then). The square back ran quietly through the water but seemed big enough for the Tanana crossing and the hauling needed if he got a moose (maybe 2 trips?). Little motor, little gas. Lots to like there.

Looks like a beautiful day for your outing there.
    Best of luck with yours, tboehm.

After looking at your photos some more ,I think you should wear the life jackets all the time not just having them, wear them it wont hurt an get ti vest type it will be easyer to wear it also has some pockets

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I admire efficiency in the woods and thought - ... The square back ran quietly through the water
    Yes, I've run mine (4 stroke) so quietly that a cabin owner about fell off his own dock one morning - when he finally noticed me I was about 50 yards away only. I wanted to let him know I was there, but I was hunting, so quiet I was.

And yeah, Sid, I never leave the shore (neither do my passengers) without wearing a PFD. You get used to wearing it, like a seat belt, so its no bother after you're in the habit.

I will concede that you guy are right about the vests and normally I do wear them but at this time all I had was those orange things and they lack coolness Seriously, thats what i had to be legal and I plan on getting proper vests. Also while no solid reason, I will state that our waters are not nearly as dangerious as those in alaska.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Yes, comfy (and cool) vests are a real blessing. And they'll help keep you warm and dry some too. Good plan. And again, thanks for the great pictures.