Thread: good taxidermist in anchorage?

Default good taxidermist in anchorage?

just wondering if anyone could recommend a good taxidermist in anchorage. i live in cordova and hoping to get my first black bear this spring. i would like to talk to the taxidermist beforehand and see how he prefers to receive the hide. i would like to have a rug made, if i get one. any other advice is appreciated. thanks

I would recommend two. Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. Dave does great work and I can send you a few pictures of the rug he did for me. 696-3611. There's also Knight's who does excellent work. These are the 2 I have personal experience with.

Another one in Eagle River is Action Anatomy-his stuff is awesome and Bob is a great guy. His number is 622-4616

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...tomy-Taxidermy
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Forgot to mention. Get with who ever you are going to use before hand and find out how to do the initial cuts. If you don't do it right, you wind up with what Russ Knight calls a "6 legged bear". It cause the taxidermist to have to do a lot more sewing to get it right. I have a diagram on where to do the cuts that I might be able to scan and send to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I would recommend two. Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. Dave does great work and I can send you a few pictures of the rug he did for me. 696-3611. There's also Knight's who does excellent work. These are the 2 I have personal experience with.
    Another very satisfied customer of Lone Wolf. I'm going to pick up my grizzly rug that he just finished for me. Pictures look awesome and the moose he did for me last year gets compliments from everyone who sees it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I highly recommend Mike Frazier (Fur and Feather taxi in Anchorage). He's done the last 5 of my mounts,and multiple friends mounts as well. As long as it doesn't interfer with me getting my sheep back this May, I say go there. Otherwise forget I mentioned him.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I highly recommend Mike Frazier (Fur and Feather taxi in Anchorage). He's done the last 5 of my mounts,and multiple friends mounts as well. As long as it doesn't interfer with me getting my sheep back this May, I say go there. Otherwise forget I mentioned him.
    Mike's bears are beautiful! He uses life-like mouth molds [tounge makes you want to touch it because it looks so rewal aqnd trhe teeth are lightly stained] and the lip coloring is accurate. He also did a moose for me and it looked very natural.

When this question, or like question comes up, people want a picture. So this is my daughter's wolf dave did. (Lone Wolf).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,
    That wolf is sharp!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    DITTO for Mike @ Fur & Feather. Just dropped a bear off to be rugged. He did my 'bou and wolf rug too. Don't have pics on this computer, but will see if I can find a few to put up for ya.

Mike's # is 344-8955

Another plug for Mike, his work is plastered all over my house and cabin. Very nice guy too!

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Yukon from Tall Tales taxidermy off Boniface did a real nice job on my sons bear last year. I'll be taking the one I shot this year to him. 907-338-5153Hunters Bear 2.jpgHunters Bear.jpg