Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone notice the sportfishing changes for Southcentral Alaska?

Default Anyone notice the sportfishing changes for Southcentral Alaska?

They are out on the fish and game website. Some big changes this year.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...hanges2011.pdf

should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?

some big changes but nothing that makes me cry....in fact im really happy with some of them

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    should cut back on the combat fishing on the russian. one fish per day?
    That's only for cohos (silvers) and only applicable to a pretty short stretch of river. By time silvers start rolling up the river, the combat crowds are long gone.

you can't release pike in the susitna river drainage now? What the hell?

Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Seriously this is not the answer to the pike problem... To control them we need BIG pike not a bunch of little teeny ones. And thats the added bonus of a pretty cool fishery.
    ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    ...once again I really question the wisdom of ADF&G's pike management.
    ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Does anyone know why bait is allowed on the Kasilof from Sept 1st-15th?

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Does anyone know why bait is allowed on the Kasilof from Sept 1st-15th?
    so people can use it to fish for silvers.

Break out the Tin Foil Hats!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ADF&G did not propose the rule I believe, its the BOF enacting a dumb proposal. Really not much ADF&G can do (about the reg or the pike) I for one would like to see trophy pike in redshirt lake, and its gonna take a while for that to happen. Killing every pike big enough to bite in there might not help, and certainly won't help the trout/salmon population
    Ok explain this one to me about the pike. Why is the new reg bad?

I like the part about not fishing from a boat right in front of the mouth of Willow Creek. Last season several boats I can only assume were guided fishing trips would come right in front of us, cast toward us, and tangle up lines with those fishing from the bank. When they weren't doing that, they were going by at warp 10 and sending tsunami style waves ashore to interupt everyone's fishing rythum.
    I have nothing against fishing guides. But I do have a problem with them using their equipment to impede other fishermen and women from catching fish to give thier clients more to fish for. That, folks, is unethical.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Ok explain this one to me about the pike. Why is the new reg bad?
    Good question. A dead pike can't eat salmon fry, so what's the problem? When a mosquito lands on me, I don't evaluate wheter it's male or female, I indiscriminately kill it (only female mosquitos can bite).

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Good question. A dead pike can't eat salmon fry, so what's the problem? When a mosquito lands on me, I don't evaluate wheter it's male or female, I indiscriminately kill it (only female mosquitos can bite).
    Some people I have said it wasn't a good idea, I don't understand why it isn't. If some one can explain, it would be nice. Because to me small, medium,or large they cause problems for salmon. just look what happened to Alexander Creek.

I don't think it is a bad idea either. But, I think what people are referring to is the fact that large pike tend to eat smaller pike. So, if you remove a large pike, you are just going to help the population of hammer handles (small pike). If you let a big pike go, he can get bigger and eat more pike. I think this is the general idea what people are referring to. It might have been a good idea to change the restriction to allow pike over 30" to be released.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I don't think it is a bad idea either. But, I think what people are referring to is the fact that large pike tend to eat smaller pike. So, if you remove a large pike, you are just going to help the population of hammer handles (small pike). If you let a big pike go, he can get bigger and eat more pike. I think this is the general idea what people are referring to. It might have been a good idea to change the restriction to allow pike over 30" to be released.
    Fair enough, but the larger pike should only be released if he promises to eat smaller pike only, and vows to never again eat a salmon...and he should put that in writing, otherwise, onto the fillet table he goes!!

so people can use it to fish for silvers.
    I'm still scratching my head on this one. Yeah, I know bait makes it easier for silvers but why just the 15 day period? Does it have to do with incidental steelhead? Still.....15 days?

I'm with tcman on this one. Saw reg proposals for the Anchor to shorten the bait period because of steelhead. Are there less steelhead in the Kasilof in September compared to the lower peninsula streams? Is it a later run?

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    I'm still scratching my head on this one. Yeah, I know bait makes it easier for silvers but why just the 15 day period? Does it have to do with incidental steelhead? Still.....15 days?

Well it might be, can't say for sure, hard to guess what goes threw their minds when they make these regs. I honeslty don't see what it matters they closed the hatchery down, yet make it so you can't take them out of the water?????? If they wanted them out of there so bad they should just make it catch and kill, then they wouldn't have to worry about them going up the Kenai. It might also have to do with resident trout as well.

Well it might be, can't say for sure, hard to guess what goes threw their minds when they make these regs. I honeslty don't see what it matters they closed the hatchery down, yet make it so you can't take them out of the water?????? If they wanted them out of there so bad they should just make it catch and kill, then they wouldn't have to worry about them going up the Kenai. It might also have to do with resident trout as well.
    In the past, bait was not allowed during that time period due to spawning kings.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast