Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM337 50+ Moose

Default DM337 50+ Moose

I drew the DM337 50+ or 4 point tine moose hunt Any info on this hunt or moose in the 13C area? Not asking for spot locations, just general ideas of good/decent spots in the area.. I've heard that moose are pretty slim in 13C... Is this correct? Also, is there any ATV access in that area? I plan on making a recon trip up there in July, but since it's a little over 4 hrs away from home I wont be able to make it out there much before my hunt. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, I would love to link up with a hunting partner for this hunt if anyone else how a tag in that area?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    I drew the DM337 50+ or 4 point tine moose hunt Any info on this hunt or moose in the 13C area? Not asking for spot locations, just general ideas of good/decent spots in the area.. I've heard that moose are pretty slim in 13C... Is this correct? Also, is there any ATV access in that area? I plan on making a recon trip up there in July, but since it's a little over 4 hrs away from home I wont be able to make it out there much before my hunt. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated! Also, I would love to link up with a hunting partner for this hunt if anyone else how a tag in that area?

Thanks in advance!
    You sure that's DM 337? I don't see any listing for that hunt. Could you mean DM 334? That is the only 13C moose hunt, but the permit appears to be "any bull" (no antler restrictions). The 50" 4 brow tine restriction is on just the regular tags that anyone can get. I do see DM 337 written in the same area, but no description on the "hunt opportunities".

Edit: Found it. Didn't realize the initial listing didn't include the non-resident hunts. It looks like there should be some ATV access in that area, but I haven't tried it myself so couldn't help you on that side.

Non-Resident Drawing tag for 13C, 50" or 4....

Holy smokes of all tags to draw you probably drew the unit with the hardest access. Search Christochina hunt and you will see. Good luck crossing the Gakona people do it but again good luck. The other route which you will read about is a 19 mile bog. I was talking to some guys at the Hub in GlennAllen and they were gassing up and there machines were covered in mud they had rangers, rzrs and an argo they had a moose. I asked them where they came out of they said christochena took them two days to get into there area they left a ranger back there supposedly they broke the tranny and a rear end. So good luck man you will earn your moose for sure. One last note they told me they shot the first moose the saw they had any bull tags.

Yes, non-res hunt.. I, unfortunately, will not have my Alaskan residency until about 3 months after Moose season has ended

Awesome... that's great news! haha.. Well, it looks like it'll be a tough one for me this year then.. at least i'll have a tough hunt to remember AK by while i'm over in Afghanistan hunting, as it appears, a much easier prey, mr. taliban..

Just because it's a Drawing Tag, doesn't mean it's a good Tag.

You will probably shoot a brownbear before you get a moose. We were down on the gakona last year we saw 3 brownies in 2 days never could close the deal on them. There is a thread from last yr about some guys did a recon on 4 wheeler no meat wagons, or camping gear and they gave up on that 19 mile stretch. If you go in better find some pals at least 2 more have **** good winches take dome extra parts for the wheelers. If you can pack in xtra cable for winches, better yet get synthetic rope for your winches. The guys I was talking too said the best thing for that area are rzr's or an Argo. But if all you have is a wheeler then that will have to do.

outdoor guy, good luck and stay safe over in Afghanistan, thank you for your service to our country.

Thanks akbone, and thank you for the support.

323- Unfortunately, I had to put in for this hunt due to my non-res status until the end of this year.. With that in mind, I wont be able to shoot any brownies this year.. Is there a decent population of black bear out there though?

I meant 3 not 33 oops. As far as balckbears we saw one and from what I have been told if you see a black bear in brown bear country or surrounded by a bunch of brown bears that is one tough black bear. Maybe a true bear expert can pipe in on this cause I'm far from being an expert.

I drew the 334 tag into the Chisto area last year along with another forum member here. I went into the area with him and a couple others from the Tok cutoff side, right there near Chistochina. It was tough, and definitely a big bog. We did a lot of walking through the bogs in fishing waders while pushing the atv's along. If you have something with tracks, you'll be better off. The downside (well, one of the downsides) is that it is about 8 miles (if I remember correctly - may be a little further) just to get through the Native corp land. There are some other ways to get in there from the Paxson side, but like others above said, that will require crossing the Gakona river (I'm pretty sure that's the one, may be the Gulkana). Very braided river and doable, but be careful. I know at least one guy last year had his atv swept downstream. We didn't find out about that access area until it was too late to give it a go. If I had to go again, I'd probably look for a larger atv than what I have, and go that route. Or try to find something with tracks to go in through Chisto. There was also a river there in Chisto - may have been the Chisto river but I don't recall right off hand. We had a guy with us that tried to take a jet boat up it. This one was also really braided and although he got several miles in, he didn't get in far enough to get off Native land. If the water was a lot higher, maybe. Good luck.

Good luck.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

One more post and you can receive PMs.. That may help you a bit Outdoorguy

It is the Gakona River you have to cross we were up by the glacier well about 10-15 miles from it anyhow. My buddy tried crossing it with a 700X2 and he got half way across and he backed out that river was running good. Didn't help that it had been raining prior to that. I have a ranger and I did not even attempt it. If you have access to a swamp buggy then crossing the Gakona will be no problem just ferry your wheelers acorss and take off. Once you cross the Gakona you are in your unit to hunt. But when you get to the river you are so close but yet so far from the objective. What unit are you in on Rich i'm in the MP battalion... One last note we talked to some guys that been hunting there for several yrs and they say they cross the Gakona all the time I suspect if you ventured further down the river you could find some places to cross. I really think havign a bigger wheeler pays off when it comes time to cross the river...

The quicksand areas are wicked and deceptive. Looks like the same river gravel you have been driving on for miles but sucks your wheeler down hard and fast. Would rather dig myself out of a bog than unsuction from the river bed.

Thing to watch with that and other glacial runoffs is changing water levels. Get halfway across..Picking every inch and crossing.. Look back and all of your escape trail is covered and gone. Bad feeling.

Thanks for all the help guys... I have a sports bike and I am planning on selling it and picking up an ATV this summer, but I have also been seriously looking at getting an ARGO.. But I'm gonna have to convince the wife about the cost on that one first, haha.. Well, all that aside, I'm torn now on which route to try... Are those 2 routes into the area the only way to get into the hunting area?

junkak, this should cut it for my PM posting.. PM away everyone if you got some "secret" help your willing to share with me!

323, I'm in PFAR on Rich

And again, thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah unfortunately a sport qaud won't cut it. Going out on limb here but I would of tried crossing it if I had ranger 6x6 I would of went down further and looked for some braids to cross. As far as I know thier are two ways into that area the one I'm talking about and the 19 mile adventure, but the 19 miles is just the 1st part I don't recall how much further you have to go after that. Now folks who have attempted this can get on here and add to it. But I heard that the 1st couple of miles of the trail is pretty decent giving you a very false impression of the trail then wham bam 19 miles of mud and hell. But they say once past that you big bog it is okay going. Where is Mod_Elan or Broncoformudv. Mod_Elan would be able to tell you some about this lovely trail LOL. Oh Bronco is up at DTA. Also there is supposed to be another way in but people don't talk about it much, some old timer in Glennallen knows about it but good luck with that. So people go with the trail from hell route due to the Gakona being iffy to cross. I could see crossing for a 1 day excursion but man it would suck to come back 5-7 days later and you are stuck on the other side. Either to the it raining bad and river has swelled or it get real warm and the glacier is melting off real good causing the river to run high or a combo of it raining for a few days and then it warms up. As I said before you will earn your moose and probably have one heck of story to tell!

One last note they way i'm talkign about is not easy either the bottom of that valley is one big mess as well.

If your talking about the trail that runs along the Christochina River it goes back at least 40 miles. At about mile 40 there is a huge gold mining operation at Daisy Creek.
    We hunted along this trail for years untill F&G screwed up the hunting by making it a 4 brow tine area. Prior to that we usually went 100% on moose. After they made it a 4 brow tine area we batted 0% and never once seen a 4 brow tine moose for three years then gave up.

DO NOT run this trail by yourself. First mudhole is a real pain, then free sailing for a couple of miles. Then its an absolute biotch till about mile 19. You have clay hills, swamps, bogs, you name it. When the trail was in good shape we would average about 2 miles an hour in Sept. If it was a rainy Sept double that. We ran Polaris 6 wheelers pulling small trailers.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If your talking about the trail that runs along the Christochina River it goes back at least 40 miles. At about mile 40 there is a huge gold mining operation at Daisy Creek.
    We hunted along this trail for years untill F&G screwed up the hunting by making it a 4 brow tine area. Prior to that we usually went 100% on moose. After they made it a 4 brow tine area we batted 0% and never once seen a 4 brow tine moose for three years then gave up.

DO NOT run this trail by yourself. First mudhole is a real pain, then free sailing for a couple of miles. Then its an absolute biotch till about mile 19. You have clay hills, swamps, bogs, you name it. When the trail was in good shape we would average about 2 miles an hour in Sept. If it was a rainy Sept double that. We ran Polaris 6 wheelers pulling small trailers.
    Sounds about right...rep to you Snowwolfe.

Yep snowwolfe hit it right on the nail. One reason I won't put in for that any bull tag okay I'm lying I would just for a good adventure I'm sure I would be cussing at about mile 3 but I have some buds who would go as well as they say misery enjoys company! Oh and a rep point to you as well Snowwolfe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast