Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thigh holsters for revolvers

Question Thigh holsters for revolvers

I see alot of information about thigh holsters for semi-autos, but nothing for revolvers. Am I missing something? Do they exist? If so, could someone please elaborate where I could start looking and/or possibly find one. I've been doing some recent backpack hunting and the waist holsters don't cut it due to the packs padded waist belt. I'm not that big of a fan of the cross-draw style at all. The center chest style are fine when not wearing a pack, but still seem clumsy for me. So the leg approach would seem less cumbersome and relatively easier to access. Thanks for any information..

Try Uncle Mikes or Black Hawk. Kydex with nylon straps.

Ace Case Manufacturing has a nylon unit for revolvers

Bianchi UM84? with a drop adapter

Thank you gentlemen... I will look into all of them.

If Blackhawk makes a SERPA for your model you would just have to purchase the leg platform for it. If you're into leather, you could get a cowboy style. Or, if you're into craft time, get some Kydex/leather and make your own. I know a lot of people avoid leather if it will constantly be in a "moist" environment.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My thoughts are that they're only suitable for so-called "Tactical" usage, and that most often, indicates an Automatic handgun, rather than a revolver. There are probably, "Tactical" reasons for having a gun down there on your leg.

It's true that they would be out of the way of a backpack, but in actual use, hunting, hiking etc, they would be dragging through the brush.

Your movement would be restricted, and if the holster wasn't totally closed, you'd spend a lot of time, pickin the leaves and twigs out of it. Also, it would be harder to keep your gun dry.

I'm bettin you'd find a chest holster, or a bandoleer holster, or a high hip holster, MUCH more practical.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've been there and done that! That thing tied around your thigh isn't very user friendly when your high stepping and climbing over stuff!

I gave it try while deer hunting in Missouri...by day 2 I had it back up on my hip where it belonged!

They probably help some combat ops guys that are loaded down with vests, gear etc. because it lowers the gun and a hip holster would ride to high with all the gear. I did see a real good looking one for a revolver in a magazine one time but it was under a dress on a good looking leg....

I bought a blackhawk drop leg platform and just screwed a nylon uncle mikes holster to it works just fine for me
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

My job takes me wherever the military goes and the only guys seen wearing a thigh rig are the static security guys and PSD guys. They tell me that thigh rigs are terrible for "green ops" (long jaunts through the badlands). The constant movement makes for raw legs; these troops will generally use a chest rig attached to their body armor, I'm working with some very high-speed guys now and this is (pretty much) the standard.

My last deployment had me with the Marines; I've seen a few of these guys leave for patrol with thigh rigs only to return with them flopping on the leg (loosened to relieve the chafing).

Check-out the below links for solidly constructed leather chest rigs, both are designed for backpackers, bow hunters, rifle hunters and such:
    http://www.7xleather.com/chest_holster
    http://www.shop.diamonddcustomleather.com/main.sc

Both vendors have outstanding reviews for construction and customer service. I have a 7x on order, but can't give 1st hand info just yet. Thanx. . . Dave

P.S. On the other hand; if you buy a thigh rig and don't like it, you have an immediate excuse to buy something else. Now thats a plan.

I've got to concur.... a thigh holster may be the stuff for military applications but some photos I've seen show a lot of M9s stuffed into a center mag pocket on a LBE type vest- which gives some idea of how big a PITA wearing a thigh holster is in real life.

I can't imagine bushwacking through alders with three pounds of steel strapped to one leg, or sidehilling in the mountains dragging one along.

I have used a paddle type hip holster- mounted to my pack belt when I'm wearing a pack, mounted to my pants belt when I'm not. Easy solution but I generally prefer a chest holster now when I'm in the boonies.

Thanks fellas. Lots of great input to consider. I'll shall continue shopping around and looking at ALL of my options. Much appreciated..

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got to concur.... a thigh holster may be the stuff for military applications but some photos I've seen show a lot of M9s stuffed into a center mag pocket on a LBE type vest- which gives some idea of how big a PITA wearing a thigh holster is in real life.

I can't imagine bushwacking through alders with three pounds of steel strapped to one leg, or sidehilling in the mountains dragging one along.
    I agree, and if you're packin something reely beeg, and heavy, beeger than a 44 Mag. something, like a 454, 480, 460, or 475, you're probably better off dragging it behind you on a sled than in a holster anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

as a swat team member ( entry team ) we carried a low drop "thigh" holster, but the reason was to allow for rapel gear or similar equipment. the weapon IS more exposed, and as a first purchase hunting rig, my vote goes to the chest holster.like this excellent model from diamond d leather from wasilla. the guide's choice. check out their website!
    happy trails.
    jh

I agree with PHRR... They will work with you to insure you get the correct holster for your revolver... and the holsters are of top quality.../John

I wear mine when I am out on my horse or just a stroll because a belt holster is usually covered up with a coat or With my bibs on there is no place for just a belt holster and the thigh rig secures the weapon very well in my opinion
    I think daves in eagle river unless he finally decided to get outa the bowl
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

If your going for looks, a thigh holster is the way to go, I use a chest holster and it is pretty smooth, more so than from the hip.

Thigh holsters are terrible if you have to walk anywhere. They chafe and get quite uncomfortable.

I'd suggest either a chest holster, a pouch holster (like one of the fanny pack styles) securely attached to your pack hip belt, or a Kifaru gunbearer for a light shotgun or carbine. I've been very happy with my Kifaru and find it easier to carry a 3 lb shotgun in the Kifaru or 5 lb carbine than a 2 lb revolver in my chest holster.

I've been checking out the chest holsters mainly because of the experiences that you "subject matter experts" have had regarding the thigh holster. I was mainly looking for convenience and even though a thigh rig definately has its place, it appears that a thigh rig would be more hassle than what it's worth for what I want to do. So, with that said, the Diamond D chest holster seems to be a standout and so far, I like it the most from what I've checked out. Fellas, thanx a bunch for all of your input, it hasn't been taken lightly and I appreciate ALL of your responses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast