Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 325wsm

Default 325wsm

Hello all.

I'm very interested in the 325WSM as my next go-to mountain hunting rig.I've been checking out both the A-Bolt Ti & Kimber Montana,both look sweet IMO.

What are you boys running & what do you recommend for a serious reliable workhorse?

Any feeding issues withe either?Luv to hear all your comments.

Cheers,
    340 .

Default Same boat

I was looking at the same rifle when I first got up here, but every single gunshop I went too tried to talk me out of it. They said there were many feed issues being reported back to them and even some returns. The specs on the rifle look awesome, but the big fat case with the little neck I guess tends to expand a little too violently and there have been alot of Jams. Something I am not willing to worry about on a Grizz hunt. Not to mention ammo is extremely expensive and hard to find. I reload so that was not quite a deal breaker issue, but something to think about if you dont. I am going with the trusty .338 instead. Either of those rifles are killer though. I have the A-bolt in a .25-06 and have heard nothing but good about the Kimber!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I'm not a gun expert and don't keep up with all of the latest info on the new calibers...

That said, we had a factory gun rep come up for a Spring Brown Bear hunt during April 2004, he was sporting a new A-bolt chambered in the .325 short mag. At the time I don't think this gun & caliber were available to the public.To my knowledge this was the first Alaska Brown Bear shot with the .325 short mag, this was a real-life "test" for the new caliber. After harvesting his Bear we dug around and found the bullet, measured the penetration distance, took exact measurments of shot distance, angle of shot and made notes of bullet entry location, and so on.......Later I seen some stories published in some major gun & hunting magizines.

At any rate, practically speaking the .325 short mag did a fine job on the bear. In my opinion it seems to perform closely to the old-proven .338 win mag caliber, just marketed as something new to sell.

I have a Kimber Montana 325wsm. I didn't want the recoil of a 338 or a large heavy 26inch barrel rifle. I guess a guy could get a custom 338 built but I got my hands on the kimber and that was all it took. Do a search here and in the shooting forum on kimber 325 and you will get lots of info. Bottom line is I like it. My buddie and I each killed dall sheep with it last fall and I killed bull moose at 350 yds, 200gr accubond. Recovered the bullet, nice little mushroom 140 grains. It's light (7lbs 2oz with VXIII 2.5-8x36), weatherproof and has lottsa wallop. Felt recoil is less than my old ruger 06. Since it's light it has some muzzle jump noticable off the bench. No biggie when hunting. I did however have it magnaported this winter. Haven't shot it yet though. Going to load up some 220's for it.

Perry

The only WSM feed issues I have heard/read about were Kimbers,have not heard of a single A-bolt failing to feed a WSM case.

Mod,how does your 325WSM Montana feed & preform,up to scratch mate?

Keen to hear all your honest comments.

340 .

PS-I've just seen your post,thanks mod.

i've shot two remingtons with the .300 short mags and both jammed, one right after the other, i put them in their case and gave them back to my client and said good luck, alls it takes is one bad feed to kill my confidence in a rifle.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Have several Browning .338's-300 mags,358 Norma and all feed and shoot first time every time. The principle and publish data on the 325 look very appealing. Had a guy bring me his .325 as he could not get his to shoot well. Straight from the store to the range and too me.

For what its worth: Haven't needed a reason to buy new guns. Just happy with the old reliable stuff.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    The only WSM feed issues I have heard/read about were Kimbers,have not heard of a single A-bolt failing to feed a WSM case.

Mod,how does your 325WSM Montana feed & preform,up to scratch mate?

Keen to hear all your honest comments.

340 .

PS-I've just seen your post,thanks mod.
    No probs with mine. It was wet, muddy, dirty etc. for twelve days straight on my sheep hunt last year. Lots of rain. My buddies rem 700 338 jammed up on him when he got ready to shoot his ram. I handed him the kimber, he jacked one in and shot his ram. Mine shoots sub moa at 100yds with 200 gr
    accubond factory winchester loads. About 3 inches at 200yds is the best I can hold resting on pillows. Might have to put it in one of those cradles and try it sometime.

On the sheep hunt with all the alder crashing and rock bashing etc. I noticed a small hole in the stock right at the very front. About 1/16 of an inch. Upon further inspection I saw that it exposed a small cavity, like a bubble formed in the sotck during the moldiing process. I called Kimber, barely got the words out of my mouth and he said, no prob, send it back we'll put a new stock on it. Well, I used it on my moose hunt and then mailed the stock to Kimber and they sent me a new one.

I looked at the remington titanium 300short but they only hold two in the mag. The kimber holds three. Also the kimber is a crf. Not sure on the rem titanium

I'm happy.

Hmmm, interesting. Would like to hear from more 325 owners and any issues or success stories you have. I am not going to need to purchase a larger rifle until I get my residency next oct and can go after the big mean bears!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Kimber short mag

You might want to consider that the Kimber 8400's were built from the ground up to SPECIFICALLY accommadate the WSM line while the other manufactures instead opted to "retrofit" their existing short actions to work with the short mags. This could possibility be the etiology of the many feeding problems attributed to these rounds. I don't know the later for a fact...mere speculation on my part.

Default Kimbers and wsm

I have a kimber montana in 300 wsm and it not only shoots decent but it has never jammed on me yet. I also have a kimber 8400 (wood stock) in 325 wsm and also no jams. The controlled feed on these kimbers is just like the winchester model 70 with the claw extracter. No worries about jamming for me. I will say that I feel that kimber needs to step up the montana stock a litle bit. The product being used to make the stock is good quality but they seam to have a lot flaws in the synthetic stock department. I also had to send mine in but they did replace it quickly. I would buy one again if mine ever was lost or stolen.

Default .325 Wsm

I havent heard anything about feeding issues in any rifle that is chambered in the WSM's. They all use the same case based off of the 404 Jefferies. I would think if one fed bad they all would for the most part. As for A-bolt and Kimber they are both excellent rifles but my personal preference would be the Kimber. I do like the BOSS system but I'm not to hot on the actions of the browning rifles. As for the actual caliber of .325 I have heard nothing really bad and know guys that have taken bear with it and are extremely happy with the round. But in my opinion you dont really gain anything from it and could do better with a .338. I have owned a 300 WSM for the last three years and love the way it shoots. Dropped two moose this past season with one shot both. One from out to about 275 yards. For a mountain rifle I just bought a Kimber 84M montana in .308. It weighs in at 5 lbs and holds 4+1. We'll see how it does in the mountains. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Default Kimber

I have a Kimber Montana 300wsm and was not impressed with the quality control. I was getting jams after the round was fired. I had a good gunsmith "square the action" which resolved all issues. With that being said I love the way it shoots now and is my all around gun. I think any gun make now adays has issues out of the box. Not like they used to make.

Its not a 325WSM but I love mine, Kimber Montana 300WSM. No jams, feeds like butter and shoots lights out. The ergonomics of the stock make the recoil seem null and void. FWIW its definately the best rifle I have ever owned in feel, quality and accuracy combined.

Yes these Kimber Montana's certainly make allot of sense,being CRF & the closest thing we have now to the venerable Model 70 in a new factory sporter.

Must be more A-bolt users getting around.

340 .

PS-Another option I'm considering is the Montana 338Win Mag,with the longer case should be a completely different story.As they should just slip on in.
    Anyone experienced these gems?

I seem to remember Murphy commenting on the Kimber Montana 338. Could not find the post but seem to remember him saying that he would have prefered a little heavier barrel or something. Might want to shoot him a pm.

...found it...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=montana

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I seem to remember Murphy commenting on the Kimber Montana 338. Could not find the post but seem to remember him saying that he would have prefered a little heavier barrel or something. Might want to shoot him a pm.

...found it...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=montana

Thanks for that buddy .

Talking

I just bought a SS/Syn A-bolt and after reading this the first time just went out and cycled 40 rounds threw it.Didnt notice anything but this was in a controlled environment.Now to mount up the Talley Lightweight's and VX-II Ultralight..........those Goats in Eagle River better look out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    ....Talley Lightweight's....

Smile No problems here

I have a Kimber Montana 325. No problems whatsoever. It is a pleasure to pack and will put 3 bullets in a ragged hole at 100 yards. I'm shooting 200 grain accubonds at 2900 fps. I've only had the chance to take deer with it here in north idaho. The big mulie staggered about 20 feet before going down and the 8x9 whitetail dropped in his tracks at 351 yards. I was impressed. My rifle has also performed flawlessly in freezing snowy conditions in late november hunts. It is the first rifle I reach for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast