Thread: Flying out of Kotz

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Flying out of Kotz

Hello all...It's been awhile since I've had the time to log onto the forum much less the time to fly. GOD HOW I MISS IT! I'm in the last six weeks of my graduate program. You can imagine the pressure to get my thesis research done. I was in Kotz for four days last week interviewing some people. I spent as much time as I could at the airport (which wasn't much). I flew out with Bering Air to Noatak in a Caravan. Beautiful flight...beautiful landings. It's been over two months since I've last flown and my heart aches to fly, like yearning for a lost lover. Does this make sense to anyone else? Or am I the only kook? I graduate April 30th and then I am committed to flying!!! My plans are to move to Kotz in July and continue flying. My only concern is having a plane to fly out of there. Any suggestions...ideas?

As far as I know, there are no airplane rentals or flight schools in Kotzebue. You might consider getting some people together there to form a flying club and buy a T-craft or other inexpensive airplane.

I know how you feel, AKDREAMER. I've been there and still turn my head up at a sound of a plane flying by. It sounds like you have about 3 months after you graduate, so I'd sugest you finish up you private here and then do what MONGUSE said - buy a plane or form/join a club in Kotz.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    I graduate April 30th and then I am committed to flying!!! My plans are to move to Kotz in July and continue flying. My only concern is having a plane to fly out of there. Any suggestions...ideas?

Start my own aeroclub...that's an idea.

Hello all...It's been awhile since I've had the time to log onto the forum much less the time to fly. GOD HOW I MISS IT! I'm in the last six weeks of my graduate program. You can imagine the pressure to get my thesis research done. I was in Kotz for four days last week interviewing some people. I spent as much time as I could at the airport (which wasn't much). I flew out with Bering Air to Noatak in a Caravan. Beautiful flight...beautiful landings. It's been over two months since I've last flown and my heart aches to fly, like yearning for a lost lover. Does this make sense to anyone else? Or am I the only kook? I graduate April 30th and then I am committed to flying!!! My plans are to move to Kotz in July and continue flying. My only concern is having a plane to fly out of there. Any suggestions...ideas?
    Did you solo yet?

Yes, I've been up, solo, several times now. I've never been so scared as I was on that first solo landing. The closer the RWY came, the sicker I felt! But I wrangled the emotions down and became the PIC. I did pretty good! On my third landing I ballooned a little, but nothing serious. It's been awhile since I've been up, so I will need to go up with my CFI before going alone again. It is such a great feeling, being up there alone. LOVE IT!!

I don't think I had any fear on my first solo, it was just the oddness of being in a plane alone.

The very best information regarding forming a flying club is found on this AOPA member site:
    http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/ac/flyingclubs/
    You may have to be an AOPA member to access this information, but it's all inclusive and if you decide to get serious about starting one, the information found at this AOPA website would be well worth the nominal fee to become an AOPA member.

Yes, I've been up, solo, several times now. I've never been so scared as I was on that first solo landing. The closer the RWY came, the sicker I felt! But I wrangled the emotions down and became the PIC. I did pretty good! On my third landing I ballooned a little, but nothing serious. It's been awhile since I've been up, so I will need to go up with my CFI before going alone again. It is such a great feeling, being up there alone. LOVE IT!!
    Except for the occasional fluke, ALL good landings follow good approaches.