Thread: ReLoader 17

Default ReLoader 17

Went to the range today and shot 3 ladder workups with Reloader 17.

Reloader 17 sure does seem to preform well in a wide variety of calibers.

First 2 were in my Remington 700 Alaskan TI 300WSM, shooting 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and E-Tips.

Started with the E-Tips COAL 2.855

62 grains R-17 180 Grain E-Tip 2969 Velocity
    63 grains R-17 180 Grain E-Tip 3022 Velocity
    64 grains R-17 180 Grain E-Tip 3080 Velocity
    64.5 grains R-17 180 Grain E-Tip 3099 Velocity
    65 grains R-17 180 Grain E-Tip 3111 Velocity This load maxed out in my rifle and bolt was a little sticky

Next load was 180 grain Accubonds COAL 3.865

The last load workup was in my Sako 375H&H 270 Barnes TSX fb and Reloader 17
    Didn't load hot enough, will try again tomorrow and shoot some groups, but it showed promise.

70 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2294 Velocity
    70.5 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2290 Velocity
    71 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2295 Velocity
    71.5 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2314 Velocity
    72 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2341 Velocity
    72.5 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2355 Velocity
    73 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2382 Velocity
    73.5 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2411 Velocity
    74 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2417 Velocity
    74.5 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2424 Velocity
    75 grains R-17 270 Grain TSX fb 2439 Velocity
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-21-2011 at 18:03.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've had good results in a 243Win, 30-06, 300Win Mag and 375 Ruger with RL-17. I've wanted to do some testing with the 375H&H, I'll keep an eye on your results.

With the 375 Ruger I started at minimum H-4350 recommendations and came up with care. Typical results were about 60fps faster at all charges and accuracy was very good at 2690 - 2710 fps in the Ruger with 300gr TSX's, no 270's tested with RL-17 yet.

Your H&H should do well.

Dang it you guys. You got me so worked up on RL-17 that I had to finally get to work on the 5 pounds I've had for the last 5 months. Thanks Marshal for your earlier results post using it in 30-06. I went ahead and just did it for my 742 Rem Auto. Think it will be just fine for that gun, cept I stayed at the recommended 54.5 gr. charge that Alliant recommends for max load, only cuz I don't want my breach slamming back too hard and causing bodily injury to my gun..lol
    In a bolt or pump action I think you could up the anti a bit, but in an auto I think you need to be a bit careful.
    I went with the Barnes TTSX Boatails in 180 gr. Should work great for that gun I hope.

Anyway guys, thanks for all your good info and keep it coming! I'll let you know how my stuff shoots when the girly weather gets here and i venture outside again........lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Thanks Marshal for your earlier results post using it in 30-06. I went ahead and just did it for my 742 Rem Auto. Think it will be just fine for that gun, cept I stayed at the recommended 54.5 gr. charge that Alliant recommends for max load, only cuz I don't want my breach slamming back too hard and causing bodily injury to my gun..lol
    You had me worried that I may have put some bad stuff out there so I went back and looked up that post.

RL-17
    Nosler 180gr Accubond
    Win brass 2.484"
    CCI 200
    COL 3.295"
    .025" off the lands in this rifle

51.9gr 2542fps
    52.6gr 2596fps
    53.3gr 2653fps
    54.0gr 2691fps
    54.7gr 2732fps

Keep in mind these are my results under conditions in this rifle, location, atmospheric conditions etc., your results may/will be different.

At that time I did not have any RL-17 data so I was cross referencing similar powders, brass, bullets and primers to arrive at my starting load. I examined every case along the way and of course verified data with my trusty Chrony to decide on a stopping point. Glad to see that I stopped within .2gr of the experts with lab equipment.

The rifle that I was loading for was a Sears Win 70 clone with a 19.5 inch barrel. The short barrel no doubt made the extra charge without excess pressure possible.

I'll be trying some RL17 in my 300 RUM with GS HV 177 bullets. I tried it with the 180 E-Tips and it gave me the same 3400 fps with 85 gr as Retumbo did with 97.5 g so I went with the Retumbo. The GS bullets offer less resistance/pressure than other bullets so I'm expecting to fill the case a little more. I would like to see 90 gr or more.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    You had me worried that I may have put some bad stuff out there so I went back and looked up that post.
    RL-17
    Nosler 180gr Accubond
    Win brass 2.484"
    CCI 200
    COL 3.295"
    .025" off the lands in this rifle

51.9gr 2542fps
    52.6gr 2596fps
    53.3gr 2653fps
    54.0gr 2691fps
    54.7gr 2732fps

Keep in mind these are my results under conditions in this rifle, location, atmospheric conditions etc., your results may/will be different.

At that time I did not have any RL-17 data so I was cross referencing similar powders, brass, bullets and primers to arrive at my starting load. I examined every case along the way and of course verified data with my trusty Chrony to decide on a stopping point. Glad to see that I stopped within .2gr of the experts with lab equipment.

The rifle that I was loading for was a Sears Win 70 clone with a 19.5 inch barrel. The short barrel no doubt made the extra charge without excess pressure possible.
    Not to worry, I have Alliants new data book on RL-17 and they recommend 54.5 gr. for 180 gr. bullets. For just testing it out you did exceptional with your closeness in your tests. I'll trust your word anytime after seeing that data info from Alliant in comparison with yours. Thanks again Marshal.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

The first 2 targets are Reloader 17 and 180 Grain Nosler E-tips, shot with a 300WSM Remington 700 TI using virgin brass.

These two were using Nosler 180 Grain Accubonds same rifle and brass.

Founding Member

Stid,

Nice work, I have not loaded for a WSM but I did do some work on my cousins 300WM. His throat was very long and this load had a huge jump. It loaded from the mag well with nice accuracy.

For comparison with charges and velocity using RL-17 the following load was best in his rifle.

RL-17 @ 68.7gr
    Win Brass 2.612
    Fed 215M
    Nosler 180gr Ballistic tip
    COL 3.320, .467 off
    Velocity 3026fps

Group .388"

I imagine an Accubond could be substituted without any concern. However the E-Tip would need new data.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7955.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	46978

I'm glad someone else has gotten the same results in the 300 WSM as I did with RL17. Someone called me a liar here when I said I got 3193 fps with 180 E-Tips. Good work. What distance were the targets? @ 200 yds they might settle down and go to sleep.

Just a word of caution, those E-Tips max out with much lower charges of powder than do other bullets of the same weight. I hit Max with them at 65 grains of R-17 and was able to shoot the Accubonds up to 68 grains before maxing out. Same everything only difference was bullet and I seated the E-tips .010 deeper. The E-Tips even come with a warning in the box to run them at mid level powder ranges.

Be safe all

Steve
    Founding Member

Great info/shooting Steve!

Here are my results.

I developed a 180 Gr E-Tip load for my Sako Finnlight with RL-17. My results were very similar to yours. I settled at 63 grains at 3050 FPS over the chrony. I tested up to 65 - with no apparent pressure problems, but my best accuracy was at 63 and I was plenty happy with the velocity.

Now, for the 375 H&H. I also shoot a Sako Kodiak and have been testing Nosler 260 Grain Accubonds with RL-17. Before my load testing was complete, I used my handloads at 75 grains to take a caribou last October. After further load development, I have settled on 77 grains (tested up to 78.5) of RL-17 for best accuracy. I'm using federal 215M primers and Remington brass. Unfortunately, my chrony battery was toast last time out - I'll send a few through next time out. Have I gained any velocity over RL-15? Only the chrony knows that answer... Accuracy has been better in my rifle using RL-17 instead of RL-15.

Yes, please all work safely and deliberately.

Good Luck with your 270 TSX project!

DS

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    Great info/shooting Steve!

Here are my results.

I developed a 180 Gr E-Tip load for my Sako Finnlight with RL-17. My results were very similar to yours. I settled at 63 grains at 3050 FPS over the chrony. I tested up to 65 - with no apparent pressure problems, but my best accuracy was at 63 and I was plenty happy with the velocity.

Now, for the 375 H&H. I also shoot a Sako Kodiak and have been testing Nosler 260 Grain Accubonds with RL-17. Before my load testing was complete, I used my handloads at 75 grains to take a caribou last October. After further load development, I have settled on 77 grains (tested up to 78.5) of RL-17 for best accuracy. I'm using federal 215M primers and Remington brass. Unfortunately, my chrony battery was toast last time out - I'll send a few through next time out. Have I gained any velocity over RL-15? Only the chrony knows that answer... Accuracy has been better in my rifle using RL-17 instead of RL-15.

Yes, please all work safely and deliberately.

Good Luck with your 270 TSX project!

DS
    DS,

What COAL were you using for those Noslers and your Kodiak???? I have a box of those and they are my next prodject.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
    Founding Member

Steve,

I crimped at the cannelure on the 260 Accubond.

I will check this evening on COAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    Steve,

I crimped at the cannelure on the 260 Accubond.

I will check this evening on COAL.

375H&H w/ 260 Accubond COAL= 3.585"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just a word of caution, those E-Tips max out with much lower charges of powder than do other bullets of the same weight. I hit Max with them at 65 grains of R-17 and was able to shoot the Accubonds up to 68 grains before maxing out. Same everything only difference was bullet and I seated the E-tips .010 deeper. The E-Tips even come with a warning in the box to run them at mid level powder ranges.

Be safe all

Steve
    Yup, I've known about the E-Tip warning since they came out and they shoot 3193 (avg) without pressure in my Sako 85 Finnlight in front of 67.5 gr of RL17. I didn't shoot any other 180's, but they actually shot faster than 168 TTXS pushed by 17 in the same rifle.

You be safe to bro... that's why we start low and work up.... right?

I might mention that I was one of the first users of E-Tips and RL17 (not always together) when they came out becasue I like trying out the new stuff. That being said, I've followed RL17 results a lot for the last few years and have come to the conclusion that it is a finicky powder. I've had quite a few folks in this forum and another ask me in PM's about my experiences with it and recommendations, and they quite often share with me their results as well. It gives a wide variety of results depending on primers, rifles, bullets, etc. For instance... one guy in another forum got about 3350 fps with 168 TTSX's in his 24" 300 WSM. I only got 3077 fps with the same 168 TTSX'x with 65.5 gr. Oddly enough, I got over 100 fps more velocity with the heavier and supposedly more prone to pressure E-Tips and used 2 more grains of powder. Very strange indeed. With 210 Bergers, I topped out at 65.5 gr @ 2935... on reloader's nest, I saw a max load of 61 gr and 2875. The velocity was somewhat close, but the charges were way different. Go figure.

When it comes to RL17, I have seen very few like results, but in general, it gives better than average velocities and sometimes incredible velocities.

Keep your eye on Hodgdon's Super Performance powder. It looks like another RL17 but more stable.