Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Wreck at Birchwood Saturday

Default Rifle Wreck at Birchwood Saturday

Here is a picture of a darn nice Mauser custom rifle that got blown up Saturday at Birchwood Range. The shooter was hit by at least two pieces of the gun, but as I understand it, not seriously injured. Fortunately for everyone, no one else was hit.

Eye protection seems like an even better idea after seeing this expensive hand grenade explosion.

Best Regards,
    JimBlown Up Mauser 280 Rem 3-19-11 Left Side View 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well that is strange, receiver, bolt, and barrel look fine best as I can tell. Looks like a round in the magazine went off somehow. Glad nobody was badly injured there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well that is strange, receiver, bolt, and barrel look fine best as I can tell. Looks like a round in the magazine went off somehow. Glad nobody was badly injured there.
    Yeah, I was gonna say the same, something in the magazine ??
    Any idea what happened there ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The claw extractor is blown off the bolt, but I think you're right. I would sure think a round had to have fired in the magazine for that to happen.

Case rupture? Any successful shots that day before this one?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Case rupture? Any successful shots that day before this one?
    Mike
    I place the blame squarely on that cheap Tasco scope
    I don't have a Mauser handy to look at-do they vent the gas from a blown case into the magazine well?

I'd say that a round went off in the magazine! A hard foreign object got betwixt a primer and the back of the magazine well during recoil or something. Maybe a high primer but I doubt it.

The guys not only got a busted gun but I bet he developed a bad case of the flinchies as well!

His trigger hand probably tingles a bit also!

I don't believe a round went off in the magazine, although it deinitely looks like one could have. I heard second hand that the shot before this one loosened the primer enough to let it fall out on ejection. I don't know that to be true, but it sounded plausible to me. I have done enough reloading and shooting to stop with that load immediately after a loose primer, but I don't know the experience level or any of the other details surrounding this incident. I looked closely at the magazine, and there was at least one shell still in the magazine, and it wasn't ruptured or damaged, so I am pretty sure nothing went off in the magazine.
    Jim

Well, there goes the feeder and the control round feed... Scary - hope all is well with shooter and bystanders.

Mauser vent any gas that escapes into the bolt body into the left bolt raceway. Gas escaping from a ruptured case goes in all directions including the magazine well. The missing extractor is the key - it was a case failure from something - not a cartridge in the magazine getting touched off.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I place the blame squarely on that cheap Tasco scope
    I don't have a Mauser handy to look at-do they vent the gas from a blown case into the magazine well?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I rather doubt a round went off in the magazine. The extractor is blown off the bolt, which is a sign that the cartridge in the chamber ruptured, probably due to an overload, or the wrong caliber ctg. This will vent gas down into the box and cause it to bulge, blowing the pieces off the stock, and blowing the floorplate open and bending it in the fashion shown. You can see vaporized brass on the front of the bolt body in the phto, plus the bolt isn't open, telling me it is locked up in the closed position. All signs point toward VERY high chamber pressures. But only briefly. The rifle may be salvageable.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My eyes ain't what they were and I didnít catch that the extractor was gone, definitely case rupture in the chamber. Likely overpressure but could also have been excessive head space from wrong caliber, put the wrong bolt off another gun back in ths gun, or resized the ammo way too much.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I rather doubt a round went off in the magazine. The extractor is blown off the bolt, which is a sign that the cartridge in the chamber ruptured, probably due to an overload, or the wrong caliber ctg. This will vent gas down into the box and cause it to bulge, blowing the pieces off the stock, and blowing the floorplate open and bending it in the fashion shown. You can see vaporized brass on the front of the bolt body in the phto, plus the bolt isn't open, telling me it is locked up in the closed position. All signs point toward VERY high chamber pressures. But only briefly. The rifle may be salvageable.
    . I agree with this. And I know Gunbugs has seen several of these. Remember the 9.3x62 in the 358 Norma.......did in the Husky.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

This is why I shoot at a place that isn't a range. It's nice to 1. not pay a fee 2. get away from the yahoos who are responsible for these type of catastrophic failures that put other people at risk. That case rupture was caused by an over-load or over pressured cartridge......I don't care who say's otherwise. Grabbed the wrong powder off the bench, or got too greedy with garnishing as much velocity until the case head ruptured or completely blew off the case wall. Case ruptures tend to happen at the case head, and not always at the shoulder. Thousands of pounds of escaping gas pressure does funny things to plastic and sheetmetal. If it was wood, it could've been worse. Nothing like shards of sharp pieces of walnut flying at yah at 1000fps+ Screw rifle ranges.

Exactly MY thoughts!!!
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    This is why I shoot at a place that isn't a range. It's nice to 1. not pay a fee 2. get away from the yahoos who are responsible for these type of catastrophic failures that put other people at risk. That case rupture was caused by an over-load or over pressured cartridge......I don't care who say's otherwise. Grabbed the wrong powder off the bench, or got too greedy with garnishing as much velocity until the case head ruptured or completely blew off the case wall. Case ruptures tend to happen at the case head, and not always at the shoulder. Thousands of pounds of escaping gas pressure does funny things to plastic and sheetmetal. If it was wood, it could've been worse. Nothing like shards of sharp pieces of walnut flying at yah at 1000fps+ Screw rifle ranges.
    Isn't avoiding ranges for fear of exploding rifles a bit drastic?

NO- Only my personal opinion-- I grew up in a small town in Louisiana. Lots of places to not have a shot go off to my left or right unexpectedly, just when I am about to touch my on trigger. When I started my guide business in the 70's in Montana- It was the same. Moved here about 30 yrs ago and WOW!!! live in the bush or do what you do. no more space, guess it's just progress in motion.
    Goo

Well, it's too bad someone ruined a gun, accidentally or foolishly. Hard to know what happened. As for shooting at Birchwood, I like the range. If I had the luxury of having a nice chunk of land somewhere handy, I supposed I would use it for my shooting too. But I don't. And I live in Anchorage. So for me it's either Birchwood or Rabbit Creek. Birchwood is quicker for me to get to so I became a member there. Best thing to do is shoot when it's closed to the public. Then you get to shoot with a more serious group of shooters and avoid (most) yahoos.

Anyway, I like Birchwood because it beats driving for an hour to find somewhere else to eke out a small range. And when you do drive an hour somewhere to eke out a small range, so will a bunch of other dudes with ATVs!

Gus

With the exception of the month just prior to the moose opener I really like going to Birchwood. I enjoy seeing what others are shooting and their thoughts and experiences on guns, calibers, etc.

I live closer to Rabbit Creek and enjoy shooting down there. I usually go down a bit later in the day and miss part of the crowds yet still meet a lot of nice people and get to see a lot of different guns. I usually end up lending a hand to some less experienced shooter so there is a bit of personal satisfaction. Overall the social interaction is a big part of the experience.

I've never had a close call but I'm never the first guy down range either. I did touch off a .375 round once when I was on the outdoor benches and a few shooter on the covered range started down range with letting me know or me catching them in the corner of my eye. No danger to anyone but we all upped out attention a bit.

I've chatted a bit with the new range manager and he is going to make the range a bit more user friendly. Hopefully it will continue to be a great place to shoot for many more years.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    With the exception of the month just prior to the moose opener I really like going to Birchwood. I enjoy seeing what others are shooting and their thoughts and experiences on guns, calibers, etc.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast