Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Great Alaskan Sportsman Show

Default 2011 Great Alaskan Sportsman Show

They have the schedule up for 2011 now.

http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/

Looks like the usual stuff. It seems like they should freshen it up a little more on a year to year basis.

Personally I'll be looking for a new rifle. Does anyone remember if any vendors had good deals on rifles the last year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Personally I'll be looking for a new rifle. Does anyone remember if any vendors had good deals on rifles the last year or two?
    The Boondock Sporting Goods booth would be my first stop if looking for a rifle. They're inclined to offer some pretty screaming deals at the show.

freshen it up with what?! i quit going to the show several years ago..just wasn't worth the money to get in the door.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A few of the things that irritate me are the booths for vendors that don't seem to have anything to do with the outdoors. I understand having a few bank or credit union booths there to finance people buying a new boat or something. I could do without all the other junk. Keep it to fishing, hunting, building cabins, etc.

It seems like the exact same lineup every year on the seminars. Sure would be nice to see them change at least 25% of those every year. I work with a group that does a conference up here every year. They turn away good speakers if they have been here a few years in a row just for this reason.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Boondock Sporting Goods booth would be my first stop if looking for a rifle. They're inclined to offer some pretty screaming deals at the show.
    Right on...but don't plan on paying with plastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Right on...but don't plan on paying with plastic!!
    I have a lot of respect for them not taking plastic. In this day and age that is a big limiter on sales and they do it simply on principle.

Default events and seminars

Looks like the usual stuff. It seems like they should freshen it up a little more on a year to year basis.
    Though I like perusing the booths and BSing, the Events and Seminars are what I usually plan my trip around.

I notice their web site isn't finished. None of their links work to the Events and seminars other than the one general one to the whole PDF file of all events. Looks good though; there's a new one or two in there I think. And our local forum owner here has a different topic to speak on this year too.

Even after many years of buying guns from Boondocks; I forget the no plastic rule to this day. It makes me think more clearly when I count out the C-notes. It also helps sneaking the gun in and no paper trail to get me busted from the wife. (HA)

My wife told me last night we needed to add a second kayak to the family for this summer, so I'll likely be looking for something in that area.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    My wife told me last night we needed to add a second kayak to the family for this summer, so I'll likely be looking for something in that area.
    mokai man will probably be there again; I hear his are even faster this year!

I'll be going to the Sportmans show at the spots complex in Wasilla (I refuse to call it the Curtis Menard Sports Complex) this weekend

I'm disappointed ADF&G isn't presenting the rockfish seminar - unless I missed it. That was really interesting, helped me learn about and use what will hopefully be a very effective tool for releasing rockfish with some survivability. I did watch the canning seminar last year - I think it is good if you haven't canned before, but not very useful if you're experienced at canning. I always like watching the footage at Batin's "Underwater Secrets" seminar and Beath's "Trophy Halibut" seminar, though Beath is a bit of a salesman. I'm interested in what he has to say about keeping dogfish off your line!

Plus it's fun to see what new gadgets are there that I can't live without. Mostly, it's a rite of passage from winter into spring. Just lifts my spirits.

BTW, if you want the good deals at Boondock, go early (Thurs, no later than Fri). They go fast, and when the stock is gone, they DON'T bring any more in!

I always look forward to lucky times lotto squirrel never spent a dollar there never will.......but I stop and smile every year =)

Its worth going just for the free chew! I always run into people I want to talk to there and it's cheaper family entertainment than going to a movie so I'll be going again.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a lot of respect for them not taking plastic. In this day and age that is a big limiter on sales and they do it simply on principle.
    What "Principal" would that be?

Are they taking a stand against the 21st Century?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Actually, they do change from year to year. They get worse.

Somehow, the idea of paying people ($11.00) to advertise to me, gets less and less appealing each year.

As to the Rifle, there's a Gun Show at the Palmer fairgrounds this weekend.

There's probably, not gonna be very many rifles sold at the Sportsmans Show. There may be only 1 or 2 booths that sell rifles, if that many.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What "Principal" would that be?

Are they taking a stand against the 21st Century?

Smitty of the North
    The principle is simply that he won't allow anyone to go into high interest debt for a firearm, fishing pole or hunting gear. They will do layaway if you are interested and when you walk out of the shop with it your item is yours at the price you agreed to pay for it and not 20% more in revolving interest.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The principle is simply that he won't allow anyone to go into high interest debt for a firearm, fishing pole or hunting gear. They will do layaway if you are interested and when you walk out of the shop with it your item is yours at the price you agreed to pay for it and not 20% more in revolving interest.
    I agree its a nice thought and all, but isn't more up to the buyers responsibility not the seller on who is and isn't capable of paying for it?

Me thinks its has more to do with the 3% credit card fees the card companies charge the business than the "not doing out of the goodness of their hearts"

Went to the Sportsmans Show in Kansas City this past year. More $, more junk, and seminars well nothing of value. Parking well you pay more for that unless you are willing to walk a distance. From the shows I've been to in WA, NY and KS the Anchorage one is by far the best.

I'll attend one of these shows when they come up w/ a testosterone repellent. Wait, maybe thats what they had in mind when they invented the .44mag ...I do like some of the bimbos running around though. If I see the Mat-Su Blue Ribbon Sportsman booth I may have to pay them knuckleheads a visit and try to recoup some of my squandered tax dollars

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast