Thread: Columbia river style anchor?

Default Columbia river style anchor?

Is there anywhere around here ... (AK) that sells any of these type of anchors?

Im thinking they would work good for our rocky / silty rivers and I like how they mount on the front of the bow in an anchor nest.

examples of the anchor and the nest...

http://www.promotionfishingproducts....tegory&path=35

Anybody? I dont have a welder, otherwise...I would probably just weld one up...
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I think they would work great. In fact I had my brother bring me up one from Portland. Its a galvanized one and I have never used it. I can't figure out how to mount it on my searunner with a step I have mounted also.

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Is there anywhere around here ... (AK) that sells any of these type of anchors?

Im thinking they would work good for our rocky / silty rivers and I like how they mount on the front of the bow in an anchor nest.

examples of the anchor and the nest...

http://www.promotionfishingproducts....tegory&path=35

Anybody? I dont have a welder, otherwise...I would probably just weld one up...
    Had problems downloading your link.

Are you looking for something like this?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Yep, something like that. How do you like that one? Does it work pretty good?

The shipping just kills the price. I have checked out the Leelock, Miller Marine, Promotion and a few others I have found.

Tomfishhunter...where are you located? Maybe we can work out a deal. How big is the one you have?

I don't know which rivers you run, but alot of the rivers up here have very hard silt packed bottoms (like a rough concrete sidewalk) and those types of anchors have been known to drag and not dig in, from what I've heard. The Columbia river and alot of others in Washington/Oregon don't really have that problem. Of course up here, it depends what river your running. The Deshka and lil Su would be fine, slower current, lots of gravel and soft spots. But most areas of the big Su, Yentna, and Talkeetna are pretty hard and it would possibly have trouble getting a bite. Those two little tips just drag along. They do look good though. I've been using a 26# susitna anchor for years with really good luck in all of the rivers mentioned (including a few others) up here. It even worked great in the Columbia and a few other rivers down there too. Just my .02...

What is this so called "susitna" anchor? Is it like the kenai river anchor?

What kind of boat are you running? How much chain?

Thanks

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I don't know which rivers you run, but alot of the rivers up here have very hard silt packed bottoms (like a rough concrete sidewalk) and those types of anchors have been known to drag and not dig in, from what I've heard. The Columbia river and alot of others in Washington/Oregon don't really have that problem. Of course up here, it depends what river your running. The Deshka and lil Su would be fine, slower current, lots of gravel and soft spots. But most areas of the big Su, Yentna, and Talkeetna are pretty hard and it would possibly have trouble getting a bite. Those two little tips just drag along. They do look good though. I've been using a 26# susitna anchor for years with really good luck in all of the rivers mentioned (including a few others) up here. It even worked great in the Columbia and a few other rivers down there too. Just my .02...
    I would have to disagree. Right now the lower Columbia River is flowing pretty hard and this anchor is hold where my Sue, yetna anchor is dragging. The lower Columbia is mostly a sand bottom.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Yep, something like that. How do you like that one? Does it work pretty good?

The shipping just kills the price. I have checked out the Leelock, Miller Marine, Promotion and a few others I have found.

Tomfishhunter...where are you located? Maybe we can work out a deal. How big is the one you have?
    Sent you a PM

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

C-bolt, sent you a pm. Than Tom

I currently have a 20' Wooldridge AK II w/ 140hp outboard jet. I run half of the boat length in chain, around 10', and then 75' of rope. I've used this on 4 boats (18' or 20' footers) without a problem. AMDS has susitna anchors and I think BnJ's (or whatever that place off of C st is called) does too. The susitna anchor (bare with me here on my description) is a single blade type that pivots from its base, and has a welded frame around it. The point of the blade is longer and wider than the anchor you are interested in and typically digs in really well. Like I said, from what I've heard, it's been used here and it works in some places and not that well in others. I used my Susitna anchor all over the place up here, and for 3 yrs, down on the middle/upper Columbia, Umpqua, Cowlitz, Rogue, Willamette, Sandy, and Clackamas rivers and never had an issue with it.

Also called Rocker style anchors. They have these at B and J's.

~AKBoatRDSC_0365.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoatR View Post
    Also called Rocker style anchors. They have these at B and J's.

~AKBoatRDSC_0365.jpg
    Yep that's it! Looks like you have a local source c-bolt!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

sweet, I didn't see them there before, but I must have missed it. Ill call in the morning, and see if they have the anchor nest/bow rollers too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I cant wait for the soft water....