Thread: Scope going bad? Questions about groups opening up

Default Scope going bad? Questions about groups opening up

Hello, put my 375 ruger away during the winter shooting crazy little groups. Sub moa for sure. Over the winter I finished the project and duracoated it and the stock. Ended up taking a little material out of stock to get barrel back free floated.

Anyway picked it back up weeks ago and wanted to try some new loads. Long story short somehow I can't get it back to shooing. Even loads I worked up last fall are all opening up. Nothing terrible but the neighborhood of 2-3 inches at 100 yards. And its extremely variable. One group will go high right. Next group low.

Gun has around 200 rounds through it, shooting a 300 grain hord DGX

Came home today and removed the 2.5-8 VX3 off and put a nikon monarch on it. Mounts were all rock solid. First thing I checked.

It will be a week before I can shoot again. But wanted to get any opinions

Right now going to try a different scope. Then try some tip pressure at the forearm.

Any other thoughts? Something else to try,,,, never had a scope go bad but want to eliminate it I guess

Thanks
    Last edited by youngtrout; 03-20-2011 at 22:27. Reason: Info

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Came home today and removed the 2.5-8 VX3 off and put a nikon monarch on it. Mounts were all rock solid. First thing I checked.

It will be a week before I can shoot again. But wanted to get any opinions

Right now going to try a different scope. Then try some tip pressure at the forearm.

Any other thoughts? Something else to try,,,, never had a scope go bad but want to eliminate it I guess

Thanks
    Lots of things could be the culprit, but I'd check any and all possible screws to make certain they are tight. I'd also check the stock and make certain nothing is broken or otherwise out of sorts.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Lots of things could be the culprit, but I'd check any and all possible screws to make certain they are tight. I'd also check the stock and make certain nothing is broken or otherwise out of sorts.
    I agree with 1Cor... When I had a scope go bad the groups went frikin' crazy, every shot all over the paper if I could even hit the paper from one shot to the next. So it sounds more to me like something else is loose if its the groups that are moving around. And IMO a little pressure on the forearm shouldn't make that kind of difference either especially with a free floated barrel unless the stock is really cramed into the barrel, but even then the groups should be reasonably consistant just not where you might want them...

might give the barrel a good scrubbing, I've found wipe out works the best for me. wild west guns had it last time I checked

Thanks. I think I have a decent cleaning routine. Basically shooters choice to get the powder fouling, montana copperX for the copper. I've been cleaning every 20 or so rounds. I did a couple wipe out sessions last night which did get a little more blue out.

Something else I was thinking about. I don't think I had the barrel free floated first time around. I was getting it together kind of quick for a moose hunt so I'd have time at the range before heading out. Stock was a old factory stock so had to hog out the channel. So instead of putting 3-4 pieces of blue tape then bedding it, I think I just had release agent.

Anyway, with the additon of paint to action, I'm going to go ahead and re-bed the action, thinking I may not be getting full contact. Basically just take a little out and skim coat it really.

Finally, factory trigger had a little too much creep for me, so I'm stacking the deck and pulled my rifle basix out of a different gun,,, the best trigger I have. I want to take the gun out for a spring bear trip, so trying to get it lined out, and I'm running out of time

Thanks guys for the input

Any difference in the ambient temperature? Some powders will produce larger groups at colder temperature.

Lots of variables to consider.

Shooting reloader 15 and playing around with some RL17. Kind of off subject but both powders are getting the same result. But I will say that the RL17 is giving me better recorded velocities,,,,about 150fps over the RL15. That said you pay a lot for that 150fps. Recoil is much stiffer. Basically 8-9 grains difference in charges, I'll take the RL15 over the few FPS and recoil any day.

I'll load up some IMR loads too, did load workup in 50-65 degree days, looking at 20-25 right now

Is there any of that Durocoat protruding into the muzzle area?

Vern,,I used a earplug to plug the barrel, and just avoided the chamber area,,,,but for good measure I'll run some acetone patches down it, followed back with some lube,,, I'll let you know,,,,,,just trying to narrow stuff down.

In the end if I get it back to snuff I most likely won't know the exact cause,,,since I'm attacking so many angles

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Is there any of that Durocoat protruding into the muzzle area?
    I was thinking the same thing. Even worse, did they ding your crown?

You might check the mounts first before replacing the scope.

Several post all over the internet of guys talking about how there Ruger went to crap after they yanked them out of the stocks and free floated them, hoping that would help the accuracy. From what I heard Ruger torques the crap out of the screws. So you probably want to call Ruger or talk to a gunsmith that will have the torque specs for the action screws.

I had a 4 power scope onmy 22 LR, it was an old scope we found on a trail and it was super good, then eentually teh 1 inch groups went to 2, then 5 now it was 10 inches before I took it off, turns out one of those wire "cross hairs" was broken, couldn't hardly even tell till recently. ust a thought.

Well, just an update. Rifle is a Remington 700. Had it rolled by a gunsmith. Posted awhile back on it. It's fitted with a mag type box. Made feeding like butter

I'll throw another wrench in here. Barrel is fitted with a brake. I did the painting, no paint on the interior. But,,,, this is my first braked gun and have to say with a closer look the brake itself was very fouled. Cleaned it up

Also looked back on my notes, I did not have the barrel completely freefloated first time around. Just past the chamber up. On this last past it was the first time I ever floated right at the lug, basically. So went and bedded the chamber area tonight

Well, wish I could head to the range tomorrow but have to wait till the weekend. Plan to spend most of the day one day this weekend
    I'll post with results!

Thanks guys
    Just posting to maybe help someone with similar problems

Well that does help as far what make it was LOL... I'm no gunsmith but the rule of thumb is to glass bed the front lug area and rear. Someone with more expierence on this will pipe in

Well, long story short. Don't think the scope is going bad... So all in all I bedded in front of the lug area. Gave it just a good cleaning, paying attention to the muzzle brake. Switched triggers, started all over with load development, shot 300 grain accubonds and 300 grain Hordany DGX. Just working with RL15 right now.

So where did this get me. It did shrink some groups. Did have some print sub MOA. What I really did see from all this is my rifle likes the lesser powder charges, groups at starting loads all shot better than near max. Best group of the day was the load I shot my moose with this fall,, 70 grains of RL15 and the DGX,

So, another trip to the range with the accubonds this weekend. I'm interested in seating depth too. I have some seated to the crimp line (and crimped) Then a batch seated just a .02 off the lands. See where these go.

Fun stuff, thinking I might have things figured out. Still wondering on the crimp or no crimp though
    Last edited by youngtrout; 03-30-2011 at 14:02. Reason: info

Thx for the update - and I think SUB MOA with a 375 diameter bullet is much more impressive than say a 30 cal bullet - when you are shooting something the size of Cuban cigars it is a bit harder to shoot sub groups!
    Well done!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....