Thread: Knight Island PWS Bear Hunting

Default Knight Island PWS Bear Hunting

Has anybody had any experience hunting Knight Island for black bears in mid May? Also, if anybody has where are good places to anchor for a good camp site? Any other info would be appreciated.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

hard to find any place better than disk island for anchorage. I've hunted herring bay in mid May. I personally find the northern end of the sound better for bear hunting, and you get the added benefit of some good shrimpn.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Could you PM me your experience about hunting in Herring Bay?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Jhonson bay. Its deep and safe. Saw four 5 to 6 foot blackies there last year. Beeeeeutifull fur on them. Good eating too! Hike up from shore 20 yards and make camp. Dont forget a tarp under and over your tent as its very wet.

Question Best time...

What is on average a good time to hit the north western part of PWS for black bears? I am getting back from a deployment in a week or so and was hoping to do a 4-5 day hunt in the near future. Are they out in late April or is it best the first couple of weeks in May?

AZinAK

Hunted near there. Killed a good bear on the beach last spring. May 18 to be exact. Squared somewhere in the 6'2 to 6'8 range, didn't have a tape to put on him at the time and now he's being rugged. Didn't see lots of bears, but saw a couple of bruisers (7'+).

Be out in the evenings and morning, find the little areas of green grass they'll be eating on.... go sit and be quiet and patient.... they'll come out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

bump, any more Knight Island info out there? Any thoughts on Drier Bay or heading all the way to the bottom to Mummy Bay? Thanks