Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Octopus Traps can we drop some down.

Default Octopus Traps can we drop some down.

Is it legal to drop down octopus traps to catch some octopus to eat. When running shrimp pots I have lots of trouble with octopus eatting my shrimp so my idea is to catch the octopus. I'm thinking 4" or 5" PVC pipe 3' long with a plug on one end and bait down at the back of the pipe wired in good. May get a few shrimp but will also get the big octopus in them. I'm thinking tie them right on to the shrimp pots. They won't attract octopus just catch the big ones that are there. My problem is trying to explain it to the troopers what the hell I'm doing when they check me. They may say or call it a shrimp pot. So is it legal??? Hey I got a post for the troopers forum check it there. Anyway give me some input and thought, I know other people have thought the same or have already tried it.

Don't have an answer for ya, but I too have trouble with octopus getting into my pots. I find they make awesome halibut bait though and they never find their way back over the side once in the boat.

Good Luck

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve I did submit a PM to the troopers site on here so we'll wait and see if they reply. You can't just post a question for them. You send a PM and they may respond and post it. Thats probably only if it's a question they can easliy answer. Some of this stuff is complicated. IMO Like putting the PVC pipe trap down with it part of the shrimp pot.

I think everyone has problems with octopus and some kind of trap to get a few big ones to the boat would be a bonus. In the crab pots in Homer this summer octopus were also a problem but you catch the big ones and they are good eating. So why not try for more eaters when shrimping. If I can I'll let everyone know how it went.

There's a publication on how to catch them -

http://seagrant.uaf.edu/bookstore/pubs/AK-SG-88-03.html

A couple of years ago while getting his crab harvest card in Homer my friend asked about setting recreational octopus traps/pots.
    The answer we got from the ADF&G person was yes it is legal.
    If configured properly there should be no question that it is not for shrimp and I doubt it would catch any shrimp.
    When I get around to it I will try to post a picture of what I have in mind.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Here is what I have in mind for an octopus trap/pot.
    6" drain tile with concrete poured in for weight. a short piece of rope and a longline snap so you can just clip it on.
    octopus trap.jpg

Cool thread! I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Once you figure it out get ahold of me and we'll figure out what it takes to legally sell the busters

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Cool thread! I'll be keeping a close eye on it. Once you figure it out get ahold of me and we'll figure out what it takes to legally sell the busters
    In the Homer area they already sell them. The amount of Octopus caught as bycatch in the Cook Inlet pot cod fishery roughly equals the amount they feel is sustainable for a commercial fishery. So in Homer they let the pot cod fishermen sell their bycatch Octopus instead of letting them go to waste and then having a seperate fishery for them. Since the fishermen can make a little money on them and already have to deal with them in their pots it seems like a win /win situation.
    Not sure if their could be a marketable fishery in the sound or not but that isn't of interest to me anyway.
    I just want a few for Halibut bait and a couple for eating.

How are they eating? I have had squid, but not octopus.

Also, in my opinion, they are the best halibut bait you can get. Never have to reel up to see if its still on the hook

Octopus is delicous, just don't over cook it.

I ordered the book from the sea grant/UAF library. Thanks Chris for the pictures of the pot/traps. Thats what I had in mind but was going to use ridgid PVC pipe. That drain tile stuff is cheaper and 6" is big. I also like the concrete idea thats cheap. I'm going to throw some bait in the back just to see what happens. I think the commercial guys drop them down bait less the octo. just crawl in them to hang out.
    My idea is to drop 3,4 maybe 5 down along with the shrimp pots on the same line and see what happens. Fullbush when I catch a few 100 of them this summer I'll sell them to you and you can export them for profit. I will let you know how it goes.

There OK to eat. Skin the white meat out of the legs long tubular pieces. Boil change the water, boil change the water, boil then slice thin, pound, beat what ever to tenderize. You end up with small patties. Then batter like you would fish and fry.

Tastes like chicken.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    I ordered the book from the sea grant/UAF library. Thanks Chris for the pictures of the pot/traps. Thats what I had in mind but was going to use ridgid PVC pipe. That drain tile stuff is cheaper and 6" is big. I also like the concrete idea thats cheap. I'm going to throw some bait in the back just to see what happens. I think the commercial guys drop them down bait less the octo. just crawl in them to hang out.
    My idea is to drop 3,4 maybe 5 down along with the shrimp pots on the same line and see what happens. Fullbush when I catch a few 100 of them this summer I'll sell them to you and you can export them for profit. I will let you know how it goes.

There OK to eat. Skin the white meat out of the legs long tubular pieces. Boil change the water, boil change the water, boil then slice thin, pound, beat what ever to tenderize. You end up with small patties. Then batter like you would fish and fry.

Tastes like chicken.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just go get chicken??

OK. One guy says don't over cook it, the next guy says boil three times, pound it, then fry it... Any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

We ate all the ones we caught and enjoyed them. Simply skin the mantle and tentacles, tenderize, batter and deep fry or just saute - Don't overcook. We saved the last few inches of each tentacle for bait as well. I certainly would like to put a few more in the freezer as well.

I just cut it in strips like clam strips, beer batter, roll in Panco and Deep fry. As soon as it floats, its done, and that is really quick.

I'll try it. Just long thin strips.

1. Turn the mantle inside out and remove the guts.
    2. Put the whole octo into boiling water and boil until you can slide a fork easily into the base of a leg.
    3. Drain the water and spray it with a hose. all the skin comes off when you spray it and you are left with a white octo.

I have done all the other methods through the years and I must say I will never again try and skin an octo or beat it with a mallet. The way described above crates the best product for consumption.

I like to then either cut into pieces and pickle it or run it though my grinder and make patties out of it. The patties almost take like razor clam fiters.

On a side note: Octo's only live to 5-6yrs old so those big guys you are pulling up have been eating good. My biggest was 94lbs. I think I have a pic of a 80lber I will have to try and dig up.

I know it is a waste of beer, but boiling the octo in beer makes a better product than boiling it in water. That is all I would change from Mallardman.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

So, back to the original question, is it legal to add octopus traps to your shrimp pot string?

I think you're going to have to ask ADF&G personally on that one, but I can't imagine how they would have any problem with it.

The standard Octopus pot is not going to have any bycatch issues, not gonna trap any shrimp or anything else for that matter, to mess with your pot limits or anything.

It's a definition of clean fishing gear type, tied on to a shrimp pot to save on bouyline, should be fine

Let us know what you find out, but you'll not be in the clear to get it straight from them, I think.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast