Thread: 2 Rider Fatalities at Petersville

Default 2 Rider Fatalities at Petersville

My sincere condolences to their families and friends.

Very sad, just a couple kids....

Agghh, I hate to hear this. The families will be in our thoughts. I have a friend in PV this weekend campin' out. Was this recent?

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Agghh, I hate to hear this. The families will be in our thoughts. I have a friend in PV this weekend campin' out. Was this recent?
    Prayers to the families
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/0...tersville.html

The family is close to mine. They were great kids, just had a beer with pizza that night and things didn't end up good. It made me sick the way the news reported it, and now your comment, pike, makes me want to drag you out from behind that keyboard and beat the sh*t out of you. If you ever say something like that about them again, shoot me a pm first.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I also know the family, but not the deceased. They were headed out to the truck to go home. Not coming from some drunken party, but just a nice family outing with the family and kids. Mistakes were obviously made, but first hand reports don't point to any level of intoxication.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AKDoug: The Anchorage Daily News made the statement that the troopers indicated that alchohol was involved. Was this quote in error?

I saw the site where the crash was last w/end - corner just past the top of the hill that comes up from the Kroto Creek parking lot. Gotta say, alchohol or not they must have been going really fast to blow out of that corner the way they did. I'm not being judgemental here, just stating the obvious from being at the site.

Wow, very sorry for the family and friends.

It does no one any good to negatively criticize the actions of the deceased.......it wont change anything......May God be with the families.....

Release Lake Trout

The story I got was that the young couple was hanging at the cabin of the male's older brother along with the older brother's wife and several minor children. They had come up for one day of riding or so. The older brother knew the trail out and was leading the younger brother back out to the parking lot with the girlfriend on back. My source is a brother in law of the family. They missed the corner somehow in the dark and we now have this tragedy. All it takes for the ADN to report that alcohol was involved is one EMT or Trooper to say they smelled alcohol on the victim. It may or may not have had any bearing on the incident but they still report it. Alcohol may have been involved, so could have excessive speed, being sleepy at 1:30 a.m. or a whole host of other problems. I know that two-up on a mountain sled can be really unpredictable in trail conditions. The passenger leaning the wrong way at the wrong time can really screw things up. We'll never know and two young people are gone.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

All,
    I have cleaned this thread up a little bit. Alaska is a VERY small state and when tragedy strikes PLEASE realize that when you post here you are probably talking to brothers, uncles, aunts, and even parents or children of those injured or killed.

Edit**** This is a dead post. The fact is mistakes were made and someones kids lost their lives. This is not the place to hash out rider safety or any other issue. Open a new post if you want to discuss that stuff but admonishing the deceased is about as low as you can get. When it comes to these things and posts here think like this. If you wouldn't walk into the wake and say it to the father then don't post it up here on the board.
    Last edited by LuJon; 03-30-2011 at 09:11.