Thread: spring brown bear?

Default spring brown bear?

I was thinking about trying for spring brown bear via snowmachine, can anyone give me any input on when they think the bears will start poking out, and or any past experiences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I was thinking about trying for spring brown bear via snowmachine, can anyone give me any input on when they think the bears will start poking out, and or any past experiences.

Thanks
    A wise fellow would take a peak at the old photo threads. Based on the dates posted, should give you a decent idea.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

or stand outside on the porch...and listen for them. thats how i do it. drives my wife nuts.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I look for sunny days in April, when its hot enough to drip in the sunshine.

Ridge backs and mountain tops (ours here are pretty low) where they can look around before crossing big country, if you dont find a Bear but tracks, just follow untill hes standing in 'em, then get yer hunt on .

Works for me.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

when you follow them, if your on a snogo..don't do it at 50mph..there something in the regs about "pursuing" game...lol but i've never heard a defintion for that.
    stranger we're sunny here in biglake and the eves are drippin' like crazy, about 40 degrees..i feel like crawling outa a snow hole and makin' a break for it today!!
    Master guide 212

Ya, dont chase 'em, just find 'em, they will ditch yer butt quick. As well, dont be dumb enough to shoot from the running ride either, you will never hit anything anyway.
    You are harassing wildlife in they know your following and you contenue to do so. Use the ride to out outmanouver them and position yourself for their arrival, as in GET OFF and walk. Besides, the noise alone will spook 'em into running away, and a butt shot is no goodOnce inna while I will stop the ride , before the Bear knows Im there and use the seat as a rest, but I usuall see them from on high and get infront of their path.
    My wife was lucky enough to have one with its head down a hole Mining Moose last year and our approach was unnoticed, and she settled down to make a couple excellent shots.

No different than a plane or car, dont misuse the tool.

If I had a sled I'd be out there scouting right now!

I'm in the process of buying an older skandic 380. I'd like to get out and chase a brownie this spring as well. Do you think the 380 is enough to take out to McLaren River lodge or the Denali lodge near Cantwell? Seems like the hills may be a bit steep for my machine (especially landmark lake area, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    I'm in the process of buying an older skandic 380. I'd like to get out and chase a brownie this spring as well. Do you think the 380 is enough to take out to McLaren River lodge or the Denali lodge near Cantwell? Seems like the hills may be a bit steep for my machine (especially landmark lake area, etc.)
    Is it a long track or a short? my 340 (when it was running, for about the first month) is a short track, and it sucks for anything off the trails, but my friend has the same engine on a long track and it does fine.

Probably not what your looking for...............but unit 22 has large griz and often, good snow conditions. Services are available in some towns in unit 22.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

don't misuse the tool...excatly.
    although if you've got a good .243 or 6mm a butt shot is the only way to go!
    a 380 would be a bit on the soft side, specially if you hit some slush or water and a hill....pretty sure you'd be finished for a while. early in the day you'd probably be fine, but as the day heats up....gets kinda nasty for underpowered machines. i do my spring bear on an 800cc, some wouldn't some would, but for where i'm at, i don't run much bare ground or tunrda and having the power will save your bacon time and time again. if your gonna run alot of hard snow or windblown a Fan cooled is the only way to go...and a 550 usually has enough power to get ya where you need to be.
    Master guide 212

Ya, thats good thinking there, spring running.....

When I run a Fan cool in the spring,I remove the hood and dump a quart of oil into the tank of gas, and letter rip.
    Advenatages? no overheating/burning up, light, easy to unstuk, takes less load, but those can be broken up if needed.

I run a 600 RMK,144, and its advantages are speed and POWER....not quite that of an 800 for sure, but Its plenty strong Around overflow, across small creeks, up hills and slushy crap......pulling just your gear and hide in the sled at the end of a wet warm day can be taxing on both you and the ride. Just gotta stop alot and pack the cooling with snow or aim for puddles to satisfy the radiator.

Dont forget to pull a quality sled for your gear and such.

Either way, a snowmachine is a great way to get to and back from your hunt........and take a friend, to share the experiance with and to send walking back for the ride while you play with the dead Bear~~LOL!!~~

ya we used to dump oil in our gas on the fans as well, made a difference for sure. never did take the hood off, thats a good idea.
    i run scratchers on my 800 if i need to i drop them otherwise i just leave them up and hit snow pockets here and there, but its usually not that sparse and wet snow gets thrown all over my radiator with my big paddles.
    nothing better than a ride home with a bear hide on a snowmachine though..man is that rewarding.
    Master guide 212

When the snow melt starts to drip in their dens and they begin to get wet, they will crawl out, dig the mud out and will test the area near their dens. As always, I am constently glassing the hills looking for "dirty snow" areas that might indicate a den. The last week of March, one should be getting serious and any available time should be spent on a snow go in likely "bear areas" looking to strategically place themselves for success. Special dates for me are April 07th, April 12th, and April 14th. But I have passed on undesirable bears as early as March 30th. Plus, hunting bears on a snow machine is a lot of fun! Check with your local Game Biologist and see if you can look at last years spring bear sealing dates. He may not give you "where," but they should have "when" available. Good luck!

They normally come out the week after you go look for them ;-)