Thread: Bead fishing.

Default Bead fishing.

Hello, I will be heading up to the kenai area next sept. Been doing some research on bead fishing. I understand the set-up, (Strike indicator, split shot , bead 2" above hook.) but I have a couple of questions about it, if you please.

1. When fly fishing, do you fish it suspended off the bottom. If so how far or is it drug along the bottom.
    2. Can this set up be fished with a spinning rod?
    3. Is this set up cast up river and floated into a hole. (how is it fished exactly)
    4. Would this set up work well on the russian river.

Thanks for your help.

1. Fished dead drifted along the bottom.
    2. yes it can be fished with a spinning rod.
    3. Beads are best presented using a nymping technique. Cast up river and let it dead drift as long as possible.
    4. Yes this will also work on the Russian River in SEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_o View Post
    Hello, I will be heading up to the kenai area next sept. Been doing some research on bead fishing. I understand the set-up, (Strike indicator, split shot , bead 2" above hook.) but I have a couple of questions about it, if you please.

1. When fly fishing, do you fish it suspended off the bottom. If so how far or is it drug along the bottom.
    2. Can this set up be fished with a spinning rod?
    3. Is this set up cast up river and floated into a hole. (how is it fished exactly)
    4. Would this set up work well on the russian river.

Thanks for your help.
    Pretty much what slayin trout said............a lot of people who fish around there use only beads. Once you find the right color, the fishing can be like no other..............but fishing until you find that color can be pretty slow. Flesh flies also work good around there.

if you are gonna use a spinning rod you might as well use a plug or spinner...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Strike indicator

You don't have to use a strike indicator on the upper, infact I prefer not to, especially in September when the water is low. I just keep some line tension while I drift and you can feel the strike, try both ways and see which one works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if you are gonna use a spinning rod you might as well use a plug or spinner...
    Uh unless of course you want to use a bead....(otterpants you're off the hook, you got edged out for the dubious D-bag award for today)

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    You don't have to use a strike indicator on the upper, infact I prefer not to, especially in September when the water is low. I just keep some line tension while I drift and you can feel the strike, try both ways and see which one works for you.
    Unless of course they're biting flesh...I mean nymphs...right Clint? hahaha

Can't give you any rep right now FB so I'll give you a +1 on that one and an "across the internet" high five!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Uh unless of course you want to use a bead....(otterpants you're off the hook, you got edged out for the dubious D-bag award for today)
    If you want to you can but plugs work a hell of a lot better
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

not to sound stupid, but what do you mean by plug? Like a rapalla. (sp?) please give examples. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_o View Post
    not to sound stupid, but what do you mean by plug? Like a rapalla. (sp?) please give examples. thanks
    yes rapala, kwikfish, flatfish..........wiggle wart.........all the same and they are pretty leathal when it comes to trout early in the year to about mid season, not sure if it changes in the fall.

I still see guys using them in the fall...Especially when the trouts are so full on eggs and flesh......
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight