Thread: Show me your Dinghy!

Default Show me your Dinghy!

That's not what I meant, you perverts!

I've got a 20' softtop and wanted to know the best dinghy to get for it. I'll be using mainly for ship to shore in PWS. To help narrow it down, here's some main considerations.

1. space is a premium. Something I can inflate on the boat and deflate and store when not needed.
    2. Load. Easy enough for 1 person to handle, but 2 person + some gear capacity
    3. River apps. Like to use it on rivers for hunting and fishing.
    4. Price. I don't want to break the bank, but don't want a piece of crap
    5. Power .vs non? Haven't figured that one out yet. I have a 15hp, Honda kicker on my boat with a quick disconnect. I thought I could use that, but with the criteria above I think it would be too big. True?

Any direction is appreciated. As with most guys, I'm a visual learner, so post some pics! Thanks

Grizzly, quit playin' with your dinghy!

I just bought one of these:
    http://inflatableboats.iboats.com/Zo...view_id.668907

Used to own a 10 foot Zoom 310. Found it was to big and heavy to use often. PITA to get on and off the roof. Doubt you will ever take your 15 hp kicker off to use on your tender as they are really hard to man handle while on the ocean. Even a 60 pound outboard can be a handful to get off the boat and on the transom of the tender.

Small tender powered by a small outboard (in our case a Suzuki 2.5) is the way to go. With two adults we can cruise around in the sound chasing blackies or use it for moose or deer hunting and pick it up and carry it anywhere we have to. More than two adults you may have to go bigger but before you buy check the specs for the interior space, not exterior.
    Tennessee

Costco used to sell these for ~$750, and I lucked out into buying this one when they were blowing them out for $400

It's rated for 9.9 hp, I'm running an old 8hp e-rude. It'll get 300+#'s on plane, a 9.9 should be able to get ~400#s on plane. It's been a good little dinghy, the only problem I've had is the scuff guard they bond to the bottom of the tubes ends ~4" shy of the end of the tube. We got back from a long hike where the dinghy was resting on some barnacle covered rocks, and one of the tubes was soft. I was able to pump it up and get back to my boat which was tied quite a ways from the beach to a mooring buoy. By the next morning that chamber was pretty well flat. The upside is it comes with a patch kit, so I put a patch on both tubes to double up the material where the rubber rash guard should have been installed (the part of the tube that will likely see the most abrasion.

I haven't taken it on a river so can't comment, but for ~80#'s it's a pretty capable craft.

This one is rated for 5hp and is quite small. But my boat is only 22ft so it fits well. I bought it off of craigslist last year.

Here is a nice, light one on CL: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2276912220.html

Personally, I would have a frame built above your soft top. Space is a rare commodity in any boat, especially a twenty footer. There is also an AK series inflatable with a honda 2.5 listed in the swap and sell section that would work, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Spoiled one,

Looks like that boat sold on CL before I got a chance to look at it. Do you remember what brand it was? Thanks guys for the pics so far. I'd like to narrow it down and probably get something at the Sportsman's Show

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Spoiled one,

Looks like that boat sold on CL before I got a chance to look at it. Do you remember what brand it was? Thanks guys for the pics so far. I'd like to narrow it down and probably get something at the Sportsman's Show
    The good ones sell fast! I am pretty certain that it was an achilles. Achilles makes a quality, light weight boat. You could also just go with an inflatable kayak.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Personally, I would have a frame built above your soft top. Space is a rare commodity in any boat, especially a twenty footer.
    Actually I just had this done. I borrowed heavily from AKGramps and Stids pics (Thanks Guys). I put it back in the storage lot, so 'll post a couple pics once I get her ready to go out
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The good ones sell fast! I am pretty certain that it was an achilles. Achilles makes a quality, light weight boat. You could also just go with an inflatable kayak.
    What Pete said on all accounts. Last summer when I posted my Zodiac on craigslist I bet it didnt take 5 minutes for the first call. Priced right these small boats sell FAST!

Also, try to get one with an inflatable keel. I never owned one without, but been told they do not track well.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What Pete said on all accounts. Last summer when I posted my Zodiac on craigslist I bet it didnt take 5 minutes for the first call. Priced right these small boats sell FAST!

Also, try to get one with an inflatable keel. I never owned one without, but been told they do not track well.

it was a good deal my mom and dad picked it up