Thread: The hunts not over untill?

Default The hunts not over untill?

Okay guys I know this has happen to many of you lets hear your stories. Man will it ever warm up? Come on spring anyway. Killed my sheep on opening day this year. Called the air taxi on the ole sat phone. Be there tomorrow no problem. So we were less than conservative. After 6 more days of non-stop rain, still no plane. Now 2 other teams have shown up at the lake waiting on their planes as well. They also had burned this and that, ate all their food, burned all their fuel. I tend to pack heavy and we had just enough fuel to keep everyone in hot chow but it was getting close. I now keep a reserve and I also keep enough for the flight back, just in case heaven forbid the plane goes down on the way back. @*it happens here you must be prepared. All you have to do is read the paper and the trooper reports each fall to see the mistakes made by many. Good luck to all and be safe.

Steve

I know I have been on a tear pulling up OLD posts... My thoughts... Why try and say what has already been said? This is great advice! On my Kodiak hunt I was sooo looking forward to the good "real food" waiting at base camp. Got back and found that it had all been packed up and flown out the day before when our hunting partners left!!! Nothing says welcome back to base camp after a week in Spike camp like more Mountain house... My next fly out will have plenty of smoked salmon and other treats that will be planted at base camp. Word has it that the most of the good food had "turned" which is why it was packed up. That is probably true but definitely something I would like to see with my own eyes. We were truly lucky though because Rolan was able to drop in and get us out that day so in the end we ate a monster feast in Kodiak but man a few hours later and we would have been stuck for a couple days still eating freeze dried. (insert puke emoticon here)

Flew into Northern Ontario for a week of fishing exactly 1 week after 911 attack. We didn't know if we could even get across the border until day before we had to drive up. Got there and had a commercial pilot from Alberta fly us in a Beaver Float - he was very good at it even though he mainly flew big jets. As he dropped us off he said he was leaving next day for Australia to fly - I said PLEASE make sure somebody knows we are here as we had no radio contact and were the last guests of the season at this outpost camp. Some people had been stranded in camps for several days with no provisions as all the flights had been grounded. We took a minimum of supplies and I was more then nervous about our pickup arrangements as we had no clue what was going down in the US....
    Thankfully our pickup a week later went smooth but is was not without some concerns....Whew....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh i definitely packed to heavy on our fly in this year...

10 lbs f frozen halibut

7 lbs of copper river red

5 lbs of sea scallops

8 lbs fresh cut ham , roast beef, pastrami, and cheese

nothing like spending the day afield with your daughter, ands hiking back into base camp 14 hours later... to a nice HOT COOKED meal...and COLD beer

dang good thing our flight came in when it did... all that weight i was gaining nearly cost me another flight...

Moody Creek cook shack
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

After you have hunted Alaska 30 plus years you'll have some stories to tell.
    Spring Brown Bear hunt on Kodiak. Two friends had the permit and my partner and I joined them. Since we were going to hunt the last 10 days of the season and we elected to go light as we all flew in one Beaver load the food list was measured in meals so no extra.
    Well, pick up day came, blue sky, should be home today. NOTTA. Same the next day. Then we get down to pancake mix and ketchup. WHOA, don't you know you pass on pancakes for a few months. So, after 6 days overdue a boat passes and we wave them down. Got a call in and got picked up. The problem----- Our pilot was spotting herring and plain forgot about us.