Thread: 460 S&W hand load data

Default 460 S&W hand load data

I am hoping to get some load info from anyone who might be willing to share. I have recently purchased a brand new 460V Smith and Wesson and will be handloading 395 grain gas check Leadhead bullets for it. I am looking for minimum and maximum powder charges for H110 as I have heard 'lil gun is hard on the pistol. I will likely be using LRM primers and starline and hornady brass. If anyone is willing to share, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

LilGun is a better powder, 3000 plus LilGun rounds through my older 460V and she still looks new at the top strap. H110 and W296 are the same powder, good powder but dirty, donít like cold much, and need to be loaded to the high side with mag primers and very good crimp. My primary heavy 460 load is 395g cast over 36g LilGun and CCI 250 and this data comes from Hodgdon . . .

The best place fro 460 data.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

H110 and W296 are dirty? Is this just in the 460, or in general? I've never loaded for the 460, but my experience is that they are very CLEAN burning, not dirty at all. This was with 357Mag, 44 Mag, and 454 Casull. Fired cases are almost as shiny inside as an unfired case. Truly amazing, compared to some other powders. (such as Unique...arguably the dirtiest powder I've ever used) Not saying LilGun is no good...because I use LilGun myself. I will agree that they like to be loaded on the high side with a good crimp though...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Itís not sooty inside the case like that but makes a fine dust that adheres to stainless. I can fire 5 rounds with H110 and the outside of the gun will have streaks from anyplace gas vents. That part is no big deal but the dust also adheres right at the end of the case in the chamber so if you shoot a box of shorter cases like 45 Colt then move to a longer case with high pressure like 454/460 without cleaning that adhered ring of dust can become embedded into the chamber wall. The embedded ring can become a sticky brass issue and worse over time.

I like and use H110/W296 but I find LilGun cleaner, more consistent in cold, just as powerful and with less pressure. LilGun heats a lot more though so in a gun I will shoot a lot with less cooling time like 357 I prefer H110 or 2400. 460 is almost always LilGun for me anymore though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the info. I am going to try out both H110 and Lil Gun. I am interested in getting the best performance without cooking the gun. I appreciate all the info.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.