Thread: 2 cots in a Cabelas 4-man?

Default 2 cots in a Cabelas 4-man?

This is a repeat from the Outdoor Gear forum... don't want to miss anyone who might know.

I'm looking for a tent for fly-out rafting. Have used the Cabelas Guide 6-man a couple of times. Enough room for 3 guys on cots with misc gear / dry bags tucked around inside. Question is... can I do the same for 2 guys in a 4-man? Cabelas website indicates the 4-man floor is 56 ft2, hexigon. If round it would have a diameter of about 8'. Seems a little tight for two 6'3" x 2'6" cots. Would want a small gap between cots so my cot does not get pushed around by the other one at night. Anybody with one of these tents used two cots? Thanks much.

well it depends on the cots, i us byers of maine algash cots, low to the ground and you can fit two in a cabelas XPG 4 man 4 season tent, their orange one. its cozy but doable for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by just.for.kicks View Post
    This is a repeat from the Outdoor Gear forum... don't want to miss anyone who might know.
    I'm looking for a tent for fly-out rafting. Have used the Cabelas Guide 6-man a couple of times. Enough room for 3 guys on cots with misc gear / dry bags tucked around inside. Question is... can I do the same for 2 guys in a 4-man? Cabelas website indicates the 4-man floor is 56 ft2, hexigon. If round it would have a diameter of about 8'. Seems a little tight for two 6'3" x 2'6" cots. Would want a small gap between cots so my cot does not get pushed around by the other one at night. Anybody with one of these tents used two cots? Thanks much.
    Not a big fan of these tents. They are toward bottom end of overall quality and design... yet, I keep several 6-man based on size (for 2 roll-a-cots), inexpensive outfitter price, and what many of my float parties recognize or request because it's something they are familiar with. These tents rarely to never go out under more demanding conditions.

From an outfitting rental perspective --- the issue is mainly the cheap aluminum poles bending, cracking, shock-cord failures, etc. I put complete replacement sets in all 9 of the 6-person versions at the beginning of the season 2010... out of that only 3 are all that could go afield today due to pole failures, leading to rips in fly, plus some zippers failures. To me, this is equates to more or less unacceptable reliability for many Alaskan applications. I replace poles on an average of every three trips!!! This way they are straight when they go out and I see damages upon return. The Cabelas waranty is not all it's cracked up to be due to all the outsourcing overseas. They want me to send back the problems that actually end up costing more than the tents!!!!!!

Food for thought... I don't Guide my float trips with "the Alaska Guide Model" preferring much better 4-season, faster/simpler set-up, of proven designs.

Your main concern sounds like you prefer a full-size width/length couple of cots, having some sit-down with elbow room, in addition maybe looking to stand up or bring in some gear. If you are going Cabelas Guide Model with large cots... go the 6-Man and do not get 4-Man.

wow that some tent failure there...
    i've never used the guide series tents, only the XPG version and never had a problem with bending poles or rips, use them on every hunt except kodiak and sheep hunts. so i'd say one will get used about 100 days a year probably, and i usually replace them every 3 years or so. just wear them out. i had one lay flat and bust a pole on kodiak once, but never a zipper problem with any of them and never any rips that someone didn't make with a sharp object. suprised to hear the difference in the guide model falling apart to so easily.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

"the issue is mainly the cheap aluminum poles bending, cracking, shock-cord failures"
    This is my experience with the Cabelas 6 and 8 man guide tents as well. I saw several brand new ones destroyed in two weeks and the weather wasn't all that bad, but once a pole fails, its just a domino effect till nothing is left.

Good way to put it... by domino effect.

Let me first say that the folks at Cabelas w/ all the channels I was transferred to were all very nice on the phone. Funny thing was to talk to their tent guy... he said he was outsourcing special poles for his guide model. We agreed the factory options that come w/ tent are garbage... We laughed at "Alaska Model" name and agreed we wouldn't call it a Wyoming or Montana model either

The real problem in the case of 9 tents --- now only three having serviceability ready for another trip is that I had to mix and match parts to make the three that still stand. None of the serial numbers and case lots match up anymore. So far, they want me to ship (at my expense) all the junkers back down for review/repairs, see the lot numbers, then come to a decision for 'possible' trade out or partial trade out for new, and pay shipping to get tents back. Believe me this says that outsourcing w/ a satisfaction guarantee is not necessarily the hoops and ladders you'd think. I'm better off to sell the three good 6-man tents for 1/2 the asking price.

I have and use the same 4 man Guide model tent as my main tent either for fly in float hunts and or KODIAK hunts spring and fall for the last 6 years and never had a failure with any portion of the tent . Maybe I just had a god tent and I do use them quite a bit.

As for two cots in the tent it can be done but it will be tight for sure .For my experience the guide model has been a very good investment .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

For private use and much care/attention taken - many tents will work fine. The Cabelas Guide model high cards are that it is a reasonably priced (on outfitter pricing anyway) nice and spacious, plus keeps you dry once set up. The 6-man is perfect roominess for two large cots, good standing-up room, and storage space.

It's poor reviews are if you have to hurry up when the weather chips are down like high wind exposure, or wet w/ winds, set up when tent and fly are wet, and to the unfamiliar person in these types of situations. This is why it is not a great tent and why it is a poor choice outfitting or guiding routinely in gnarly conditions.

I can get 5 of these for the price of one really great tent... point is I'm happier camper in two Bomshelters vs. 10 Guide Models by end of season returns.

Brian

Yep I bet the rental gear is worked over good to say the least and I do take very good care of my hunting gear and get a long life out of it.

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

At the risk of a hijack, I thought I'd weigh in on this question. Seems to me that even though you asked specifically about the Cabela's tent, you might be receptive to other structures that would work too?

It's hard to find a tent you can stand up in and can take cots, if you are planning on setting it up in high wind areas that offer little protection from the wind. So I have always recommended that hunters have two tent styles in their arsenal.

1. Low profile mountaineering tent. This is for sheep country, tundra (caribou hunts and such), or anywhere you are likely to be exposed to high winds. I won't go into the details of describing what features you need on this tent, because I already did that multiple times here. Search the archives...

2. A-Frame or Cabin-style tent. This includes the large dome tents like the Cabela's tent you're talking about. For the money it's hard to beat the Eureka Timberline Outfitter Six. I run that one with four people sleeping on the floor, or two in cots. Plenty of room to stand up inside. Other "best" choices would be Barney's Bombshelter or the Arctic Oven by Alaska Tent and Tarp. I don't prefer the Cabela's tent for the reasons mentioned. Keep in mind that any of these tents perform best if you have some vegetation to block the wind (high alders, trees, willows, etc.)

Okay, I'll crawl back into my cave now...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    Brian

Yep I bet the rental gear is worked over good to say the least and I do take very good care of my hunting gear and get a long life out of it.

RR
    The rental gear always goes out 100% exceptional condition every time... nothing is in worked over condition. Attention to detail is always there. Everything is top-notch so it holds its own season after season trip in and out.

By the end of the season tho' (throughout all the constant pole replacements - like every three weeks) the Cabelas tents exhibit damages where it really shows --- because they are made to much lesser of standards. The only reason I have these Guide models is 'if' someone requests this particular tent... just about always includes the roll-a-cot combo in a 6-Man version. In this case it works - only I must constantly/consistently examine them so as not to pass on a previous issue to a next customer.

If anyone would like to look at these tents to get a better idea of the problems - door is always open.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    The rental gear always goes out 100% exceptional condition every time... nothing is in worked over condition. Attention to detail is always there. Everything is top-notch so it holds its own season after season trip in and out.

By the end of the season tho' (throughout all the constant pole replacements - like every three weeks) the Cabelas tents exhibit damages where it really shows --- because they are made to much lesser of standards. The only reason I have these Guide models is 'if' someone requests this particular tent... just about always includes the roll-a-cot combo in a 6-Man version. In this case it works - only I must constantly/consistently examine them so as not to pass on a previous issue to a next customer.

If anyone would like to look at these tents to get a better idea of the problems - door is always open.
    I think what he was saying is that rental gear gets worked over by the folks who rent the gear. NOT that you provide your clients less than stellar gear. No need to be so defensive man...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Dan's Rentals in Dillingham

I just remembered another guy that has some experience with these tents. His company is Dan's Rentals and he is out of Dillingham. He rents the tents, tons of camping gear, and inflatable boats too. So if you're headed out that way, be sure to look him up. His number is 1 (877) 423-3400. His email address is rentalshop@dansrentals.com. Anyway I just talked with him and he said the tents are working fine for his operation. He's been using them several years, and keeps his stuff looking new. He would be another source I would talk to on this.

He does the cots too.

Oh yeah, one more thing on cots in tents: Get one of those closed-cell sleeping pads at the surplus store and cut some squares out of it. Duct-tape those to the legs of your cot so they don't punch holes in your floor. The foam spreads out the weight. Otherwise the end of the cot leg pinches the floor material against the rocks on gravel bars and you get holes in your floor. Something to think about...

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I think what he was saying is that rental gear gets worked over by the folks who rent the gear. NOT that you provide your clients less than stellar gear. No need to be so defensive man...
    That is what I was saying !!!! Thanks AK

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Yep - that's the way I took it... no worries, not on the defensive and all good guys. I knew he did not figure on me sending folks out with worked over stuff.

Just relating it takes a lot of work with close attention to the details. Particularly with these tents vs. better (often more expensive) camping equipment from an outfitting or guiding perspective.... delivering or demonstrating the best with consistency where I also feel a reasonable/responsible connection to customers.

From a private ownership standpoint, taking good care of equipment is a good practice... again more attention is often the case if you go afield with somewhat less substantial quality gear.

As Mike said - cots often will put pin-holes in tent floors. The Guide model tubs/tent floors are fairly good heavier duty nylon... but continued use on especially harder or sharper ground plus if there are no rubber (or softer) caps on the ends of cot legs --- this will multiply the likelihood for damages.

Thanks for the guidance gents. Glad everybody doesn't agree 100% on everything... good to have the different perspectives and experiences.