Thread: Big Lake Derby

Default Big Lake Derby

The 1st annual South Port Marina/Sportsmans warehouse Big lake ice fishing derby seemed to be a pretty big success yesterday.
    I took 3rd in the rainbow trout class w/ a 16 incher which netted me a whole bucket of sportsmans warehouse ice fishing goodies a popup and 70 dollars cash I wouldn't even have entered a 16 incher but when I went to enter my 22inch char, at 1pm there was only 0ne rainbow entered and it was 16.5" I didn't even know there was 2 different classes. I had a live tote and found out my char wasn't in the money so i returned it. I realized hey I should go rainbow fishing because there was only one entry. I caught my 15 incher (they give you another inch if its alive and you return it) and entered it 16" (w/ the free inch) and it held in 2nd place till somebody entered a 17 incher w/ 15 min to go and bumped me to 3rd. The biggest char was only 26.5" 2nd was 25 and 3rd was like 24.5.
    Anyway even though I couldn't be in Homer on the winners podium for kings I managed to make the podium at Big Lake I'm tickled because now I've actually gotten payed for sport fishing hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The 1st annual South Port Marina/Sportsmans warehouse Big lake ice fishing derby seemed to be a pretty big success yesterday.
    I took 3rd in the rainbow trout class w/ a 16 incher which netted me a whole bucket of sportsmans warehouse ice fishing goodies a popup and 70 dollars cash I wouldn't even have entered a 16 incher but when I went to enter my 22inch char, at 1pm there was only 0ne rainbow entered and it was 16.5" I didn't even know there was 2 different classes. I had a live tote and found out my char wasn't in the money so i returned it. I realized hey I should go rainbow fishing because there was only one entry. I caught my 15 incher (they give you another inch if its alive and you return it) and entered it 16" (w/ the free inch) and it held in 2nd place till somebody entered a 17 incher w/ 15 min to go and bumped me to 3rd. The biggest char was only 26.5" 2nd was 25 and 3rd was like 24.5.
    Anyway even though I couldn't be in Homer on the winners podium for kings I managed to make the podium at Big Lake I'm tickled because now I've actually gotten payed for sport fishing hahaha!
    was you guys in a green shack?

no sir I free lanced. I probably drilled 30 friggn holes. Every where I went I passed somebody all sweaty trying to make a hole w/ a hand auger so i"d stop and pop them a couple holes. Anyway we fished 3 spots and caught in all 3. Started at fish creek vicinity and got 1 20 inch char, left after about an hour and went to the haunted island and fished maybe an hour and caught a 19 inch char, then I went to the north bank bluff in the west end and thats where I got the 3rd place rainbow. I had to get to rainbow water when I realized there were only 2 entries and 2nd place was only 14.5". It was a great day though I was surprised at all the participants

Condratulations there fullbush, sounds like a fun day..

Congratulations Fullbush!

I'd think rainbow fishing would be tough this late in the year. Way to get it done!

Thanks fellas but it pales in comparison to the Homer derby. I claimed come hell or high water I was going to be on a winners podium somewhere on saturday March 19th and like I've said a 1000 times I'm no bull sheiter. I do know one thing for sure- I dig the podium! I may have to look into more derbys....maybe the bassmasters I dunno I like getting paid to fish, always have.

Great job on the podium win! No podium win for me and my catch but I was a star in a Jedi video this weekend!

Thanks fellas but it pales in comparison to the Homer derby. I claimed come hell or high water I was going to be on a winners podium somewhere on saturday March 19th and like I've said a 1000 times I'm no bull sheiter. I do know one thing for sure- I dig the podium! I may have to look into more derbys....maybe the bassmasters I dunno I like getting paid to fish, always have.
    Hey CONGRATS FB...i wanted to do a derby but i was stuck at home with the spring flu
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Good JOB on placing in the Derby! Bet you got some sweet loot! what no pictures?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

It only take one trip to the podium to get hooked. I'll be fishing the Juneau and the Petersburg salmon derbies this May. got on the Petersburg podium in '08. Hopefully I get a repeat soon.

Congrats on the "big" win.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

dern it i wish ida known cuz ida been there....and i mightve won something! congrats Jeff....

Release Lake Trout

congrats on the bronze! didnt know anything about the tourney bummer i would of been there if i had.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Good JOB on placing in the Derby! Bet you got some sweet loot! what no pictures?
    The only way I'm ever going to get any pics is if YOU come fishing w/ me. Really Jedi w/ your choreographic and photographic talents and my sparkling charisma, the sponsors would be literally brawling w/ each other to sign us for a fishing show.

As for my prizes I got a sportsmans warehouse bucket loaded w/ ice fishing lures, 3 different Berkley ball caps, a tip-up and a check for 70 bones.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

70 bones??? joints or dollars??

greenbacks mister! I'm now a commercial sportsfisherman

I'm taking a poll

greenbacks mister! I'm now a commercial sportsfisherman
    Wait haven't you always been a commercial sports fisherman????????

i guess you're right. I was born to kill fish. I would have been a guide but I was afraid the 1st time I backhanded a client and lashed him to the bullworks for asking too many questions my career would be short lived so I opted to be a gillnetter.

I'm taking a poll