Thread: class D radios

Unhappy class D radios

Looks like we have to replace our "older" radios with this new regulation for class D, DSC radios. Thought I was almost ready for the water!

Last I had read you did not have to replace existing radios, but if you buy a new one it has to be DSC. Not like you would have a choice since all new radios are DSC.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Last I had read you did not have to replace existing radios, but if you buy a new one it has to be DSC. Not like you would have a choice since all new radios are DSC.

yes, that is the case in canada as well!...at present, NON- PLEASURE vessels over 8 meters and over 6 passerngers are required since 2003(?)!.....i dont think you can buy a "new" radio without the DCS feature on it?......so, in canada at least, we "pleasure boats" are so far grandfathered and have a ways to go before we "have" to buy the newer type!!...larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Hello

This might sound dumb to some but here it is....what is a class D radio, and how old is older radios? How can I tell is mine is a class D? When do they have to be replaced by?

Thanks
    Moose

Free Country? phooey! We live in a society of control freaks. There is so much authority these days that its really hard to respect it and not resent it. I have a sneaking hunch that since the Coast Guard changed agencies (DOT to Homeland security) we're gonna see more and more "rules"

We are setting up communications through out our members and some of us are set up with ship to shores, are they going to have issues over that?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Can you clarify what you mean by members? Are you using the radios on boats, ship to shore, or on the lands?

The following notice is from the United States Coast Guard regarding federal regulations covering the manufacture and sale of VHF Marine Band radios and their qualification for digital selective calling (DSC) operation:

--NOTICE FROM USCG WEBSITE---

[Manufacture], importation, sale or installation of RTCM SC101 radios prohibited on March 25, 2011.

The Federal Communications Commission has prohibited the [manufacture], importation, sale or installation of non-portable DSC-equipped radios that do not meet either ITU-R Rec. M.493-11 or IEC 62238 Class D standards effective March 25, 2011. This regulation effectively bans the sale of radios built to the RTCM SC101 standard on that date. A similar prohibition will apply to portable radios effective March 25, 2015 . See 47 CFR 80.225(a)(4).

--
    Cf.: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtDsc

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    importation, sale or installation
    Unless you are doing one of these, it doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by members? Are you using the radios on boats, ship to shore, or on the lands?
    The individuals I have organized are working together to help ourselves, our neighbors and community, so if there were issues and cell towers and phones were down we'd like a good way to communicate. After discussing with a few people the ship to shore radios seem to probably be best for over a greater distance over hand held walkie talkies or even c.b.'s
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Unless you are doing one of these, it doesn't apply.
    That's the way I'm interpreting it, too. Is that's the case, then you can keep your non-DSC radio or purchase a non-DSC radio from an individual. Probably similar to auto manufacturers having to all start installing anti-lock brakes (assuming that's the case). Not a bad thing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    That's the way I'm interpreting it, too. Is that's the case, then you can keep your non-DSC radio or purchase a non-DSC radio from an individual. Probably similar to auto manufacturers having to all start installing anti-lock brakes (assuming that's the case). Not a bad thing in my opinion.
    Only if you don't plan to install it. But it may be difficult to use like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!