Thread: AR 22rimfire conversion or Upper???

Default AR 22rimfire conversion or Upper???

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either the 22 rimfire conversion kits for ARs or the 22 rimfire complete uppers?? Been looking at them for my AR and was thinking the conversion kits might be nice to use on fox and swap out to the regular .223 bolt and ammo for larger game.

Thought????

Recommended brands???

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I can't believe no one has tried one of these conversions. They are all over youtube and look to work fairly well. Heck every 22 rimfire auto rifle I ever owned would choke on a round or two.

I think I will try the stainless steel version. That same guy in the video was cutting playing cards in half at a 100 ft with it.

They are also making special 22 rimfire ammo make just for the AR.

Founding Member

I have a Tactical solutions upper on a bushy m4. I got the sleeved bull barrel with the free float hand guard.

It works great, unfortunately I needed to figure it out on the Bushmaster. Needed a rounded DPMS hammer to function properly. But once I finished fine tuning it runs great. Accuracy is great, and the gun is very light. Lots o fun.

Black dog is the place to buy, very good prices.

A friend of mine has the stainless CMMG conversion kit. It works well, though I was not impressed with the magazines that came with it. We had a lot of feed problems and they were tight in the mag well. Years ago I had a Ciener kit, it was great, shot a ton of ammo with it. I think you will be happy with the CMMG kit.
    I'm waiting for them to finish the conversion kit for the PS90, that ought to be a ton of fun as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    A friend of mine has the stainless CMMG conversion kit. It works well, though I was not impressed with the magazines that came with it. We had a lot of feed problems and they were tight in the mag well. Years ago I had a Ciener kit, it was great, shot a ton of ammo with it. I think you will be happy with the CMMG kit.
    I'm waiting for them to finish the conversion kit for the PS90, that ought to be a ton of fun as well!
    Thanks Sir, I learned from watching youtube that the CMMG magazines weren't that good. From what I could figure out the Brownells semi clear ones are Okay and that is what I ordered.

I researched several brands and decided on CMMG, There is a web-page devoted to warning everyone about the Ciener Kit. I don't know anything about that one, but the reviews were terrible.

I have grenaded a couple Foxes with larger calibers and I'm thinking that this might be the easiest way to carry multible calibers. Should be able to swap out the bolts and mags in less than a minute.

Besides that it is always fun to shoot 22 rimfire.

Steve
    Founding Member

Well here is my experience, which may of course differ from others...

I had a tactical solutions upper that i didn't like. They advertised it to competitive shooters but it wouldn't work with any of the triggers i had (JP, Jewel, RRA NM) and also didnt like most ammo. After lots of calls to tactical solutions with no results i sold it. However, from what i have read lots of people seem to like them and my experience my be out of the ordinary...

I got a M&P15-22 for my kids and i love it! its lighter than my regular AR but that makes it easier for them to hold up. Its eats everything but loved the federal value pack. After my Tactical Solutions experience i wanted to really tortured this rifle so i could see what it was capable of. With no cleaning, other than the initial breakdown, it went for 900 rounds before the first jam, sprayed a little loob it in and it kept going for another 600 rounds. I finaly ended up cleaning it after about 1800 rounds. For a 22 that's awesome! Also the bold locks back which is good for training. I know several other people who have them and they all love them.

I have no personal experience with the spikes conversion but my friend has one that he likes. I prefer a dedicated upper because i don't want to clean all that 22 crap out of my good barrel. But it depends on how much you shoot it.

Personally im waiting on one of the new Nordic uppers. It will work with my competition lower and have the same weight and feel. They have been getting very good reviews on enos and other places on the net. Dont know anyone who owns one yet though. http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC22-22LR-Upper-18-750-SST-Barrel-Rifle-Length-Hand-Guard-NC22UP183.htm

My first experience with the chamber adapter type was back in the National Guard shooting small bore "combat" postal matches. The ones the Army gave us were abysmal. Rather, the magazine adapters we had were bad. Very bad. They fit inside the magazine, and never stayed in one spot. IF you could get rounds into the chamber, it shot okay. Not a match gun, but they would've stayed on a small cottontail out to around 50 yards.
    I bought one of the Tactical Solutions dedicated uppers, and it came with two Black Dog magazines. Beautiful piece. No malfunctions, not even with bulk pack ammo. The mags are superb. Fit, function REALLY well.
    I understand that some of the newer "chamber adapter" type conversions now use the Black Dog mags. Good on 'em, as it makes those 60 gr. sub sonic bullets shoot well in those 1-9 and faster twist barrels, even though they're slightly oversize bore.
    For the money, one of the better name chamber types would likely be my choice today, but only with the 'good' mags.
    Be advised, though, if you opt for the dedicated upper, that the S&W gun is complete, and priced competitively with the TacSol piece, and, as mentioned, you most likely will have to swap the hammer out.
    Oh, and by the way.......the Tactical Solutions piece WILL function full auto on an M16 lower, and gets REALLY interesting on there and suppressed!!!

Got my CMMG 22 rimfire bolt and magazine from Brownell's a few days ago and had a chance to fire it at the range today. Shot about 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions and was very happy. Found it to be very accurate and was able to hit the 100 yard target with no problem. The kit came with the bolt and a Black Dog magazine that will lock the bolt back when empty. This would be a great kit for anyone with a AR and kids, great way for kids to plink with Dad's AR.

100 Yard target.

Steve
    Founding Member

I see Cablelas has the kit for 179.99, not bad. Could there be barrel rifling issues by running a bunch of .22 through it?