Thread: Portable AC/DC Freezer test!

Default Portable AC/DC Freezer test!

hi again....finally got around to uppack the new freezer for the boat/hunting trips!....i have it set up in the basement and plan to test it first!.....have set the temp to -10c on AC, when she hits set point, switch over to DC..plan to fill it with water jugs!....the battery in front is rated for 70 amp hours which i will use for the test...i have the ac/dc clamp meter coming soon so will measure amp draw etc!....i will post results if anyone is interested!...for scale i put in a 6 volt battery inside the second pic!!.....capacity is 3.77 cu/ft.....larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

What is the model # of your frig?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    What is the model # of your frig?
    hi rutting,,,,here the link...crap, cant find my DC cig adapter to start the test,,must be in the camper??.....larry

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dometic-CF-110AC...item53e6a87bce

Look like a 5a draw @ 12v.

Technical Data

Description
    1-Way (12/24V DC, 110V AC)
    Total volume (cu ft)
    Can Capacity (12 Oz.)
    Dimensions (HxWxD) (in)
    22 x 19.6 x 31
    Weight. (lb)
    Weight (kg)
    Power Input 12V/24V DC (W)
    Voltages (V)
    12, 24, 110

ooops. sorry, i posted the wrong link,,,that is the ac only model!

http://www.waeco.com/en/3105_864.php

i am interested in the low amp draw it states at dif tempertures of ambient air!...if that freezer draws 5 amps after intial conpressor start up--it is going back!!....this is why i want to test it!!.......this is actually 65watts, so say 5.4 amps?(hope not!)......sorry again for the wrong link!!....larry

The information from the manual said 7.5 a @12v.

http://www.nwmarineair.com/pdf/2412A...c/CFseries.pdf

Have you look at the marine freezer? I think there low current and high price.

I don't know how you will measure it, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of time it runs once it is down to its temperature. If it is not designed for a marine environment, you may quickly experience corosion issues. Have you talked to the manufacture about this to see what they say? I think I was looking at a marine one once, and got scared off by they price, something like $2500.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The information from the manual said 7.5 a @12v.

http://www.nwmarineair.com/pdf/2412A...c/CFseries.pdf

Have you look at the marine freezer? I think there low current and high price.
    thanks for the link!!...i dont have that in the manual i have!....first those numbers scared me until i saw the time it was acually running!!....whew!...so, say 48 deg temp dif at even 50% running time is about 3 amps?...i can live with that!!......i see i was blinded by the AC amp draw at .7-1.3..thanks for settling me striaght!...larry

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I don't know how you will measure it, but it would be interesting to see what percentage of time it runs once it is down to its temperature. If it is not designed for a marine environment, you may quickly experience corosion issues. Have you talked to the manufacture about this to see what they say? I think I was looking at a marine one once, and got scared off by they price, something like $2500.
    hey jim!....i saw this model in a few online stores/cats, and foound it in some "marine" sections!...i think tho when they say "boats", they mean fresh water?.....
    i bought this unit while i was under the gun for time( ordered, then picked it up in the states the last time we were there, so no, i never did talk to any tech about it!....i did look at some of the "real marine" units and yes, they seemed waaaay to pricey!!......for the next couple years anyway, it will be used for a varity of uses, and for the "marine" side, say, 4 weeks a year?.....i am "hopeing" to get at least 2-3 years before any corrosion issues come up??(fingers crossed)!!.......Rutting moose, my panel looks alitlle dif than the pic in the manual you posted, but it states a 7 amps!...

first test....right now it is plugged in to the 12 volt(fully charged) and at -10 deg C.....MT! basement is about 15 deg c.....let's see what the voltage drain is??

thanks for all the help! larry

thanks larry

Guys,

Can't you just spray some of that "appliance epoxy finish" paint on any of the exposed elements? Heck, taking the bottom off to spray down the internals might be how they marinate, I mean "marinize" it.

Iceking02

Corrosion is only part of the problem in a marine environment, vibration, pounding and a little problem with gas fumes and sparks. There are a lot of people that think when a device is marine approve the manufacture just charges more for it. A marine or CC approve device must go through a lot of extreme testing to be safe in a boat.

hi again!..ok, testing part one is done!

to maintain a -10 deg C in a room about 17 dec C the unit runs aprrox 33% of the time...this is with the freezer empty!..i can guess the current draw will drop once it is filled with ice, ...for every 45 minutes of time, the unit was "on" for 15 minutes, was like clock work!!..so, given the stated amps as "7," the 1/3 power up time is approx 2.3 amp draw.( not to bad considering it is empty!!)....when i get my clamp meter i will check that 'amp" number??

Part 2....freezer is filled with water jugs now, that were sitting out all night down stairs, not all of the freezer volume is filled(hard to do with jugs), lets say 70%?
    so, ..lets see what it takes to bring the temp down to -10 Deg, again and freeze the water?...started again with fresh battery( group 24, 75 A/Hrs)

part 3.... i will compare the amp draw "full of ice," with the freezer empty(2.3 amps)..my guess the amp draw will be cut at least in half. say 1-1.2 amps???...i am letting the first battery "rest' then i will take a voltage reading!... . larry

ps....yep, this cowboy has to get a life,,,,,just think, my wife has to live with me???

I roll w/ a Norcold, It pulls about 4 amps if I'm not mistaken they cost about 600 bucks from Redden Net (Kachemak Gear Shed)

I do like the looks of your unit too bcriverhunter

hmmmm, well, all was going good, ice jugs all frozen, then as i was starting to do the "full of ice' test!..... things went for crap from then on?...it appears the temp probe started to read wrong?,,,,was -8 inside and the digital guage seems stuck at -2c....so is always on?....

.....but, there are at least 5 dealers here that will do the warranty work and have a look at it!!.....ahhh, love that warranty stuff!......will updaate this thread when all is well again.....i really dont need it for a couple of months anyway...larry