Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip report (PIC HEAVY)

Default Trip report (PIC HEAVY)

Here is the story or our long awaited Denali Hwy spring break small game hunting adventure. Our adventure started off as many others, later than intended. We spent four days three nights up on the highway. We didn't get in as far as we had intended due to the late start. Traveling with small kids presented challenges and we made the best of every situation. One such challenge was the late start this put us in a race against the sun. We had stopped at Atkins air service for the last minute hunting license and a weather report. We learned that night time temps were around -25 to -30. This meant we needed tents up and stoves going well before dark. It took us awhile to get loaded and going down the trail. Getting the dogs to ride on the sleds (so we could make good time) took some doing. We towed all this with 2010 Tundra, Bearcat XT and a Bravo. All machines worked flawlessly. We had a couple different freight sleds a single Husky and two Otter Pro (large).

At our campsite the snow was about 4 ft deep with the first foot all sugar. This made putting up tents a challenge. We packed the campsite down with snowmachines as best we could. Then put everyone in snowshoes and got the tents pitched. We precut and split our firewood plus duralogs, so we had heat as soon as the tents were up. The Arctic Ovens where heated with sheet metal stoves. One was the small "Arctic Oven" and the other "The Packer". Both purchased at Alaska Tent and Tarp. We did a side by side comparison and determined that the small stove was just ok and the bigger one was just right. It was very easy to get it way to hot with the larger one. But using the dampers I was able to keep it nice and toasty. On the first night and due to the late hour we cooked hotdogs in the Jetboil, which worked great. I easily fit eight dogs in and topped it off with water and a minute later we had hot hotdogs.

Day two was a late start and we mostly had fun with the kids snowshoeing and digging in the snow. We did little excursions on snowmachines and looked for rabbit sign. We found little sign and the kids were have tons of fun just being around camp.

We ate very well on this trip. To grill we just dug down to the ground and cooked our steaks and then chicken the next night. We used a dutch oven on top of the Packer stove, with a little tinfoil shield, to make biscuits and corn bread. We did have to fire up the MSR once to cook pasta.

We had an awesome trip but the only wildlife we saw were a couple caribou on our way out.

Looks like it was a nice trip with the Family.. As long as the kids had fun and they want to get out there after it, its all that matters. Thanks for sharing.

Man, that looks absolutely AWESOME!! I've got two little ones, cannot wait till they are old enough to get out and do stuff like that. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Awesome trip report, looks like you had a great time. Did you find any bunnies?

Way cool , show them kids theres a whole year round to go camping !

I bet they will too, when they are old enough to take their kids.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

While I expected "hero pictures" of you and a host of expired critters, you instead let us participate with you and your family on your spring break outing. A great picture story.

great pics and sounds like a nice trip. never thought about putting gas jugs on the tongue of my sled...might have to try it when i run short of room. i like the vestibules on the ao's.

Very nice trip. Everyone looks extremely happy so you worked it all out perfectly.

Congrat's and thanks for sharing!

Taylor

Very very cool, AkJeff!

Looks like everyone had great time. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for letting us join you on your family outing...It looked like lots of fun.

Way to keep the kiddos in the mix!

Cool! that looks like an awesom trip! I have never been up there in the winter.

Is that caribou a 3 legger?

Great Adventure!

Thanks!

Looks like a great trip. You must have some incredible packing skills,, that looks like a ton of stuff in your tents. What a great way to take the entire family to include the furry ones.. I'm sure the kids will long remember such a great adventure even more so after a long winter.

Well done Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast