Thread: Fly Tying Newbie

Default Fly Tying Newbie

Just started tying my own flies today and i'm HOOKED! Looking for some advice on tying my own, not from a kit. Any particular Alaska type fly tying books out there i should look into?

Not to sure on books, but a few good starters are flesh flies, leech patterns, glo bugs, anything to do with bunny fur is a good start. in the fly tying section there are some step by steps that might help you out. if you ever need help shoot me a pm and i can try to help out the best i can.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Fly Patterns for Alaska. It doesn't show you how , but it has a good picture and description and recipe. You can get it at any flyshop. Also Flies for Alaska by Tony Route.

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris is a GREAT book to learn from... Step by step instructions on a large amount of popular flies.... I recommended this book to everyone I talk to who is just starting out.

-Cube

Thanks guys! I just started an have beentying all day. Wolly Buggers are kind of a pain as well as messing with hackel for the first time but, it's getting easier with every little trick i learn. Thanks for the advice. Off to Sportsmans Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by FishHuntress View Post
    Thanks guys! I just started an have beentying all day. Wolly Buggers are kind of a pain as well as messing with hackel for the first time but, it's getting easier with every little trick i learn. Thanks for the advice. Off to Sportsmans Warehouse
    If you are heading in from Eagle River, World Wide Anglers and Mountain View Sports are both closer (and local.)
    WWA is on 63rd and Lake Otis, (basically Dowling and Lake Otis.)
    And MtnView Sports is across from the university center mall on the old Seward.

Have fun!!

i know mossy's had a copy or two as of last night of the fly tying made clear and simple

Quote Originally Posted by monk2015 View Post
    i know mossy's had a copy or two as of last night of the fly tying made clear and simple
    +1 on Skip Morris' book and cube01's fly shop suggestions.
    All of the local fly shops have some good books. I usually visit 3 Rivers Fly & Tackle (http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/contact.html) from my house in ER. Good crew in that shop.

Thanks for all the advice. If you wanted to know, i conqured the Wolly Bugger!!! I was using the hackel backwards :P Dumbass...... Pretty sure i did the old man good by statring this trade

Quote Originally Posted by FishHuntress View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. If you wanted to know, i conqured the Wolly Bugger!!!
    Pictures!!

honestly save your money don't buy books.......youtube it! If you see one you like in a store remember the name and youtube it. Or I guess you could by the fly and look at it to figure out what goes were and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    honestly save your money don't buy books.......youtube it! If you see one you like in a store remember the name and youtube it. Or I guess you could by the fly and look at it to figure out what goes were and so on and so forth.
    Agree. I took an 8-hour class at Mountain View Sports, just to get started from absolute zero -- and the instructor recommended YouTube as the continuing education venue of choice. Looking around, you can find instruction from Brits who tend to inject that low-key kind of humor that could make you chuckle even as you inadvertently stick yourself with a 2/0 long shank.