Thread: Rumor about gov't regulating powder???

Default Rumor about gov't regulating powder???

I was talking to a guy the other day who is an avid shooter and he said that he heard that the government is/may begin regulating the manufacture of gun powder in that it will be required to have a shelf life of only one year.

I have not been able to confirm this and it's the first I've heard of it. Can anyone confirm or dispell this rumor??

I am NOT saying this is true and I DO NOT want to start a rumor thread. Just trying to find out some info.

Interesting idea but what would be added to it that would make it go bad? Sounds kinda goofy to me

Default Liability

If powder has a shelf life so would ammo loaded by commercial loaders. Can you say law suite if a bear at you 90 days before your ammo was SUPPOSED to expire, but tha ammo had a mind of it's own. Or if a law enforcement agency or agent needed their ammo to work and it didn't. What if a military branch recieved a lot of this ammo, they sometimes store ammo for 9 or 10 years; in case of emergency. So, it's not very likely.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Remember 15 years ago or so when they said the goverment was going to stop allowing people to purchase primers?
    I am still using primers I stock piled then, lol
    I would bet my shirt there is zero truth to this rumor.
    Tennessee

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Remember 15 years ago or so when they said the goverment was going to stop allowing people to purchase primers?
    I am still using primers I stock piled then, lol
    Me, too.

I've got enough primer for the rest of my life.

The "powder signature" thing, too.

I would bet my shirt there is zero truth to this rumor.
    Think about SW Asia...........

They're blowing up U.S. troops. Big time. Big bombs. Built in "garages".

Think about it..........................

Ya it sounds goofy to me too. Just thought I'd look into it.

It has been proposed by the anti-American types.
    Making it work is another matter.

They have tried to push various ideas at different times.

Limited Primer Life.
    Limited Powder life.

Glass beads in the powder with some sort of code imbedded.
    This almost went... They claimed it was to be able to trace handloaded ammunition in case it was used in a crime. Plus factory ammo.
    The real purpose was to sand blast your barrel bore on every shot. The Anti-Americans claimed that the average hunter should only shoot 5 shots a year so the gun could last 15-20 years. Thus they could basically destroy every gun over a couple years if it was fired. This locked in with the their plans that you would nver be able to buy or afford a replacement firearm.

Taxing various types of ammo more than others.
    This is already tried in a few places.

Taxing and limiting ammo shipment or storage.
    Already being done with more to come.

Declaring components to be toxic
    They got away with it so far.

Requiring permits to buy ammunition
    Already being done in some states

Limiting the amount of cartridges in your home or in possession
    Yeap already being done in some places.

Anyone else remember having to sign for every box of handgun ammo back in the early 70s.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here is a patent to limited your ammunitions self life...

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/57...scription.html

Thanks for the link Float Pilot........It was an "Eye Opener" for me. I've heard rumors and such before, but had never read anything concrete on the subject of limiting the shelf life of ammo so the gen pub can't stockpile ammo.

Even when you think the hen house is locked the weasels are looking for a way in. "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

If you look up arms control or limiting terrorist arms. You will see remarks about placing "Tags" within the ammunition propellants. (the glass beads)

As long as they use the words international, or terrorist most Americans won't pay attention.

It is the same old noose that they wish to lynch us with, they just dyed it a more acceptable color......

hhhmmmm....intresting. Thanks Float Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I was talking to a guy the other day who is an avid shooter and he said that he heard that the government is/may begin regulating the manufacture of gun powder in that it will be required to have a shelf life of only one year.

I have not been able to confirm this and it's the first I've heard of it. Can anyone confirm or dispell this rumor??

I am NOT saying this is true and I DO NOT want to start a rumor thread. Just trying to find out some info.
    There is no way that I know of to chemically alter the consituent ingredients so they would have a "life" and degrade themselves in one year.
    After reading the meat of this patent, all I can say is I have never seen any such thing in the literature, and anyone can file a patent.
    Last edited by Nitroman; 03-02-2007 at 17:15.

The guy is for real. Google "Daniel M. Makowiecki" and look into his work.

That guy was trying to use life limited primers as a way of reducing the self life of ammunition.

It is sad enough that somebody who intensionsally market something like that..

But wait,,,, how can we get life limited primers in another form????
    Enviromentally safe primers thats' how....
    "Lead is one of the major ingredients in conventional primers. The chemical is called lead styphnate. It's the stuff that makes primers go pop in the first place, so it's really important. For years chemists have been looking for something to replace lead. One reasonably successful compound that can do this is diazo-dinitro-phenol. Commonly known as DDNP or "dinol."
    There have been two problems with dinol. It is not nearly as stable as lead and is especially susceptible to moisture in the air."

Do not laugh they are already out there.... and the brass was modified for their use!!!!
    Federal's response was their non-toxic BallistiClean line....

Here is an intersting note of the old WWII style corrosive primers....

From the TNW Firearms web site:
    "2. Corrosive Primers: Primers manufactured previous to 1952 were corrosive in nature due to their chemical makeup. This is only a problem if you do not plan on cleaning your gun after each shooting session. The only advantage to the corrosive primers is that they have a longer shelf life. A round that was manufactured in the 1940īs for the most part is still very reliable today. "

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    The guy is for real. Google "Daniel M. Makowiecki" and look into his work.
    Yes he is, and so am I: BS biochemisty/molecular biology, MS chemistry.

I said that I knew of no way to chemically alter the consituent ingredients for gunpowder or primers to make them less stable, didn't say anything about using less stable ingredients.

Also he has patented a procedure, but he hasn't made any primers to see if they work as stated.

That's just fine. Do you know for a fact or are you speculating based upon the patent that they have not produced a prototype?

I don't care one way or another, I am quite convinced that such a thing could be done. Whether or not it has is moot in this day and age. Heck they could probably breed some microscopic insect to slowly consume the propellant.