Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone hearing hooters?

Default Is anyone hearing hooters?

I went listening last week and didn't hear any yet.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I've been hearing a lot. Do you hunt them? I have never heard of people hunting owls. What is the purpose?

i hear them every day

Soggy, it's nice and sunny here today and was talking to the daughter about it's time for them to start and was thinking of climbing the hill to check it out........

I saw a couple of them on Thursday night. Seems like they were congregating around the local watering holes. I flushed a pair just past the dart board and saw a single in the parking lot.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

OP, Yes for about a week, but only the Male.

I've had a pair of great horned in my yard off and on all winter eyeballing my wifes chickens. Yesterday I saw a short eared owl about a mile from the house.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Anyone hunt Blue grouse with a dog? Heading to the south east with my pup is on my bucket list! Any info from you guys down that way?

I thought I heard a hooter the other night, just like I do each spring. Not sure. Getting old and can't stay awake long enough!

Hoyt,

When doing research for my book I tried to find someone using a pointing dog for blue grouse and nearly arranged a trip down Juneau way to do my own hunt over one of my dogs, but decided to leave it out. Mostly they are hunted now when they are up in the branches hooting and shot sitting. Not my cup of tea.

Skinny,

You need to be hitting the books and leave those hooters alone. Nothin' but trouble, I tell ya.
    Jim

Default I have never put much thought into this topic

But, earlier tonight I read this thread and found it interesting, and just moved on. A few minutes ago (around 3:15 A.M.) I went outside and within seconds I heard two hooting near my house. I thought that was rather interesting. So, can you eat 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    But, earlier tonight I read this thread and found it interesting, and just moved on. A few minutes ago (around 3:15 A.M.) I went outside and within seconds I heard two hooting near my house. I thought that was rather interesting. So, can you eat 'em?
    What was the number or cadence of "Hoots"......? (The Male is Hoot-Hoot.....Pause....Hoot-Hoot-Hoot) It is Two/pause/Three. It is easy to confuse this with being two different birds.

I think folks are confused here. Soggy was asking about grouse, in the spring the males find a tree and hoot as a mating call. I haven't heard any yet. But this warm weather we've got coming should get them moving a bit. Last year I heard one this early but it wasn't till the end of March before they really got going.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

AkBoater,

You are, of course, correct. A fellow needs to slow down and really read all the posts before answering I guess. Lots of different types of hooters out there! :-) But it is that time of year for owls to be hooting for a mate just like our southeast blue, or dusky grouse.

Everyone enjoy! Soon we will be listening for drummers here in the interior. Not a rock band, but the ruffed grouse! Although, SkinnyD may get to hear both varieties of drummers from what I can tell of the locations he goes in search of hooters.

Jim

If Skinny thinks hunting is expensive he should definitely become celibate immediately. I've been enjoying my decision not to heed the words of wise woodsman but that means I won't get to SE to see/hear/hunt those duskies for probably a decade.

Someone post pics if they are successful please. I went on a hike with a gun yesterday with the my wife, 8 month old, and the beast. Took the Goldmint Trail at Hatcher Pass. Saw lots of hare tracks, and a single "grouse" track. Went to investigate without snowshoes and buried past my hip. Seems my only hope for my first Alaskan small game is dwindling.

In the interests of defending what little reputation I have as a bird hunter, I should point out that I am not a frequent visitor at the local watering hole and that I only found myself there Thursday because it was No Snakes in Ireland Day. Normally at that time of night you'd fine me either at my fly tying bench or, more likely, asleep. I did hear a hoot owl over on the ridge toward the river by Old Nenana Highway the other night when I was trying to take pictures of the lights. Also had one in a tree above my tent when I was camping in Minto last fall. It drove the dogs NUTS.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

No Snakes in Ireland day! Now how did I miss that celebration? Rather un-Irish of me I'd say.

Jim

Lightbulb I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and...

...saw.

AkBoater- Thank you for clearing up some very muddy water, I am humbled.

Jim- I did read every post before answering. That's sound advice. Every post prior to mine in this thread referred to owls, or date night at the local watering hole, with one exception. Hoyt interjected something that seemed a bit off topic about blue grouse. Now that AkBoater has schooled us (me at least) on yet another term for "hooters", Hoyt's post makes sense now and was the only post in line with the OP's original intent.

SoggyMountain-you can have your thread back. Sorry to have contributed(although unintentionally) to the near hijacking of it. And since I'm on the right page in the right book now...

Man, I love grouse! Much rather them than ptarmigan(or owls). I'm a bit of an opportunist though. I have rarely gone out for them alone. Usually bring Judo points while moose hunting and hope to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Someone post pics if they are successful please. I went on a hike with a gun yesterday with the my wife, 8 month old, and the beast. Took the Goldmint Trail at Hatcher Pass. Saw lots of hare tracks, and a single "grouse" track. Went to investigate without snowshoes and buried past my hip. Seems my only hope for my first Alaskan small game is dwindling.
    PG, I plan on taking a camera with me this year. I had responded to someone else's post about wanting info and pics on blue grouse, but they never replied back .... and now the clock is running.... it won't be long.

You're not alone in post-holing in the snow. It is a common part of the day when hunting blue grouse. They perch up high on the mountains and have a rythmic delivery to their call - "whoot, whoot, whoot, whoot, whoot." That's the rooster. Hens are found lower down on the mountain early in the spring until they hear the males above. They respond to him with a cackle that's a bit like other grouse but with a bit of a purr to it.... sounds like a cat and a chicken at the same time to me. "mmuuuhawk meck mecka meck." With few exceptions, I try not to shoot the hens.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    SoggyMountain-you can have your thread back. Sorry to have contributed(although unintentionally) to the near hijacking of it. And since I'm on the right page in the right book now...

Man, I love grouse! Much rather them than ptarmigan(or owls). I'm a bit of an opportunist though. I have rarely gone out for them alone. Usually bring Judo points while moose hunting and hope to see them.
    It wouldn't be the AOD without a good hijack. I know how to return to OP, but was enjoying the detour.
    Last edited by SoggyMountain; 03-20-2011 at 18:32. Reason: "no" - "know" Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    AkBoater,

You are, of course, correct. A fellow needs to slow down and really read all the posts before answering I guess.
    I request "WHAT" in the Original Post, indicates "NOT OWLS"........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast