Thread: Wolves near Wasilla?

Default Wolves near Wasilla?

My wife swears she spotted a wolf in the backyard. We butt up against a couple hundred acres of mostly undeveloped land off Pittman. Is this a possibility. I feel pretty skeptical.

I had some wolf tracks at my line on the flats. That's just a hop. skip and a jump from pittman rallier territory for them big ol' dogs.

I'm going to look at the tracks when I get home. Lots of loose dogs I'm my hood. It was an interesting text I got from her!

You won't be able to distinguish unless it's perfect, but they will look like GIANT dog prints. Not a dog print that you would conjure up in thought...

Yup I have seen em before.

Could have been a wolf. I seen two wolves a few years ago during a heavy snow fall while I was in the woods with my dog. Just outside Wasilla (KGB area). They were stalking my dog and likely would have got him if I hadn't spotted them creeping up. They appeared like ghosts, but lit out quick when they seen me. I wasn't even calling nor hunting at the time. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

She said it was eyeing the Jack Russell and left once she saw it. I am surprised the dogs didn't notice.

your jack might teach him a little lesson. I'm sure there could be wolfs around pittman. man this is Alaska my friend just got a great photo of a black colored wolf right along the hwy just north of anchorage. floated that middle part of the little sue last fall and around the pittman area saw very big grizz prints so im sure there are wolfs also.

For sure 100% dog lol. I guess the little lady needs an ID lesson this week.

Stick a game camera back there....... ;)
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Hahaha. Well, it's cool that it's even a possibilty.

I called one in last year, we are about an hour out of wasilla. I see thier tracks around every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    your jack might teach him a little lesson.
    The only lesson my female knuckle headed Jackrussel would teach it is that her hind legs are tough and don't have much meat on them, jacks aren't known for making the correct 1st decision. As far as wolves in Wasilla? You can bet your bottom dollar there is. I live by mt baldy and they're thick

Gotta agree with fullbush.... I've seen them around Hatcher's/Willow side of the ridge, I shot one off of the Matanuska river in 09, and I know a guy who saw 5 and trapped two on top of Baldy 2 yrs ago. Their seen around the military bases, eklutna, knik valley, the flats, lil sue, big sue, and out off of KGB. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if their in your yard. Or bears either for that matter...

Came across one on the Big Su 2 weeks ago. It was feeding on a moose kill.
    Unfortunately we were leaving the cabin and I decided not to carry the rifle on the ride out.
    Stopped two other riders to see if they were packing but neither was a hunter....darn lucky wolf!!
    BK

The Feds got a satellite collar on one of the Ft. Rich wolves last winter. In Feb of 2010 it left Ft. Rich and (with it's buddies) ended up in the Palmer Hay Flats right about the time the moose arrive there annually from the higher country. When the state built the Glenn/Parks interchange, I paid special attention to the Environmental Impact Statement during the public process. Good wildlife info, that. It showed the moose migration patterns down to the flats. The wolves follow them. I heard about a guy in Meadow Lakes who had a brown bear smash his chicken coop and eat all his birds last week. The Little Su is right there. It's a natural migration route for animals.