Thread: What is a clicker used for?

Default What is a clicker used for?

Ok here is a stupid question. What do you use the clicker for on a conventinoal reel?

You turn the clicker on to let you know when a fish hits when you are trolling or if you fall a sleep.

We use it to free line bait, click, click, click... engage the bail and then set the hook. It allows the fish to run with the bait with little drag.

watch the move "Jaws".

It's used to annoy the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    You turn the clicker on to let you know when a fish hits when you are trolling or if you fall a sleep.
    Or alternatively, to wake your buddy up by giving the line a big tug while he's snoozing, rumaging around in the cooler for another beer or otherwise not paying attention. Always good for a laugh no matter how many times you pull it on 'em.

Back in the day when i used to surf fish on the Gulf coast we would set out 9' to 10' surf rods and set the drag and clicker. When a fish would hit the bait and run it would take line and sound off with the clicker. You then would set the hook and take the clicker off and fight the fish from there on.

And yes to all the other answers above too. It does anoy the crew when you don't take it off.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Back in the day when i used to surf fish on the Gulf coast we would set out 9' to 10' surf rods and set the drag and clicker. When a fish would hit the bait and run it would take line and sound off with the clicker. You then would set the hook and take the clicker off and fight the fish from there on.
    That is exactly how it is supposed to be applied. People who reel in a fish without turning the clicker off are in violation of trolling protocol and must pay a nominal fee to the boat.

The clicker is to be set AFTER you let your line out, and BEFORE you reel your fish in. It's principal use is to say out loud, "something exciting is happening RIGHT NOW!"
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I use mine to drive my wife nuts on a slow day.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Ok here is a stupid question. What do you use the clicker for on a conventinoal reel?
    As a charter captain it is invaluable to me when I have a boat load of clients that are inexperienced. If a fish hits the first thing it does is tell me there's a fish on that line. Then when my inexperienced client is fighting that fish I can hear what is going on without having to look at what the client is doing as he/she is fighting the fish.

It is also invaluable to me when I'm dropping the line with my downrigger. It provides "drag" while the line goes down without having to adjust the actual drag on the reel.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by salmon_bone View Post
    It's used to annoy the crew.
    It doesn't annoy the crew half as much as when the angler tries to turn it off and throws it into free spool instead.
    Now that's funny every time.... well every time that its not my gear

Whenever I need to step away from the rod, I put it in the rod holder, turn on the clicker, and set the drag light. Then if I get a bite I'll know it and because the drag is set light the rod will not be pulled out of the holder and into the drink.