Thread: Ice Update?

Question Ice Update?

With this recent warm weather, is there too much water on top of the ice to do any fishing? I havent been able to get out and check too recently, and I really don't want to drive out to a lake 15 miles away and be sent home by unsafe conditions. That's already happened once this winter, and it was rather dissapointing! Thank you in advance!

(The lake we would be wanting to fish is in the Houston area, not sure how different the weather has been there?)
    Ryan from Wasilla

I drilled through 3 feet of honest ice today off pittman good clear blue ice

Awesome. Thanks!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Zero worries. Your several weeks away from any issues at this point.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Agree. Was out at Sport Lake (Soldotna) yesterday and even though it was a balmy 37 degrees out, it has had no effect on the lakes yet. There's plenty of hard water time left, though it does feel like the season is fast winding down, unfortunately.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Question

So how was the fishing at Sport Lake? Whats the access like?
    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Agree. Was out at Sport Lake (Soldotna) yesterday and even though it was a balmy 37 degrees out, it has had no effect on the lakes yet. There's plenty of hard water time left, though it does feel like the season is fast winding down, unfortunately.

You can drive right onto Sport Lake from the public boat launch pullout. Or park at the launch pullout and walk 15 yards and you're standing on ice. It's practically right in town. Fishing is always pretty good as it is a heavily stocked lake, but don't look for anything in the trophy class. It's stocked with trout and sterile king salmon. You just have to find the one thing that the fish will bite (hint- almost everything sold on the "ice fishing" display at the big box stores doesn't work). Anyway, Sport Lake is a good place for some casual and nearby ice fishing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Generally speaking, the trails to the lake disappear before the lake itself becomes an issue. I've had to drop the scratchers several times now due to the warm days icing the trails which usually marks the beginning of the end.... DANG! Enjoy it while we can folks!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

We had a great time yesterday. The ice was probably a touch over 3 feet. I was only worried because earlier in the season when we had a similar warm snap, we tried that same lake and it had about 6 inches of water on the ice. Luckily that wasnt the case this time! Lots of fish all day long, really a great day on the ice!
    Ryan from Wasilla