Thread: Kashwitna River

Default Kashwitna River

I am looking for any insight anyone might be willing to share regarding access to the headwaters of the Kashwitna River. It is my understanding that taking a boat up the river is not very doable. Perhaps old mining roads or 4-wheeler trail? Landing on the glacier with a supercub? Maybe climbing over from Hatcher Pass? I don't do hang gliding or use a parachute. I would be looking at starting from where the North Fork of the Kashwitna joins the main river. Any recommendations or reasonable suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx

theres a fourwheeler trail on the north side of the river up near the fork, no idea how you get to it though, i've seen it from the air. last i heard alot of private land down river that impeads access to the upper river..
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Easiest way to the headwaters is up over Willow Mountain. Atv trail leads you right to it. Take the trailhead at Purches Creek Trailhead in at the first bridge up Hatchers Pass road out of Willow. Then bear left at the Cabin for snowmachiners. Go over the ridge and drop into some of the best moose hunting in the unit. Several good bulls in the drainage. A few sheep further up, but they are accessed easier, by going up Purches Creek and then dropping in on them from there.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Easiest way to the headwaters is up over Willow Mountain. Atv trail leads you right to it. Take the trailhead at Purches Creek Trailhead in at the first bridge up Hatchers Pass road out of Willow. Then bear left at the Cabin for snowmachiners. Go over the ridge and drop into some of the best moose hunting in the unit. Several good bulls in the drainage. A few sheep further up, but they are accessed easier, by going up Purches Creek and then dropping in on them from there.
    It's been many years since I went in there.

It was crowded then. It's a "critical habitat area". I can just imagine now.

I have not hunted it recently. But when flying over it, it is a very rare deal to see anyone go over the top of the ridge and get where most of the summer range is. The willow mt is winter range and has a few animals in fall, but not the numbers as the headwaters.

Default kashwitna head waters

Go to Caswal lake subdivision road. take your first left and bear left. There is a trail that follows sheep creek all the way up and drops down to the north fork. Fairly rough and fairly rocky near the top but doable if you have a decent rig. You can cross the north fork and work your way all the way to Eureeka if you have the gas! Chef

Quote Originally Posted by chef viktor View Post
    Go to Caswal lake subdivision road. take your first left and bear left. There is a trail that follows sheep creek all the way up and drops down to the north fork. Fairly rough and fairly rocky near the top but doable if you have a decent rig. You can cross the north fork and work your way all the way to Eureeka if you have the gas! Chef
    and if it has not rain for a few days and a chainsaw.