Thread: 225gr Hornady FXTs for S&W 460 ??????

Default 225gr Hornady FXTs for S&W 460 ??????

Has anybody found a load for the S&W 460 using Hornay's new 225gr FXT bullets?

I bought the 225gr's at SW in Fairbanks last week but I can't find a load for them. Even bought the newest Hornady book; they list the 200gr but no 225 data.

I looked at Hodgden's website and 225gr Barnes Xs are listed at 42 gr H110 max. The 240gr XT Mags are @ 49.5gr H110 and the 200 gr FXTs are @ 52.7gr H110. The all copper Barnes X must produce a higher pressure curve as common sense says the Hornady 225gr FXT should be around 50-51gr max.

The 225gr FXTs are listed in the 45 LC loads in the new Hornady book. 454 loads show only the 200 FXTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wfoidaho View Post
    The 225gr FXTs are listed in the 45 LC loads in the new Hornady book. 454 loads show only the 200 FXTs.

I don't know the bullet but the fact that Hornady only lists it for 45 Colt leads me to believe it may not take 454/460 speeds on game very well.

I have seen 53g H110 under Barnes X without pressure sign from an XVR so I would say trust your common sense. Back down 3% (for H110) from the mid numbers and start maybe 37/38g, crimp well with mag primer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

There's no info saying the 225gr isn't capable of the 460 velocities, loaded to lower pressure,etc. I would think that if the 200gr can handle the pressure out of the 460 then a 225gr should be capable of a similar pressure.

Performance on game is a whole other matter......... heavier AND stouter......... MO BETTER!!!!

Just looking for a good "plinker" for practicin' with the 460. "Hey, Ya All; my next trick will make this water jug DISAPPEAR!!!!

Yea it will fire and make a water jug go away but I meant Hornady ether completely overlooked a market in 454/460 or they think the terminal ballistics will be poor at those velocities. There are lots of .45 bullets that wonít take those speeds because they were designed for the 45 Colt or ACP and will fragment badly from 454/460. Like I said I know nothing about the bullet, just kinda a reading between the lines observation.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Looks like I'll have to go directly to Hornady for some answers on this one. I really appreciate the reality check there ADfields; just got all excited about the newest whiz bang components for my newly acquired big boy toy.

I'll drop a note to Hornady and see what they have to say. As soon as I get a response I'll let you all know.

Holler back with what they say. I always like to play with new bullets and if it will stay together at 2100fps or so it could be fun. Even if it doesnít it could be good at long range after it slows down some to more like 45 Colt speeds.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

FYI
    My question to Hornady: Is there any load data available for the 225gr .452 FXT bullets in 454 Casull or 460 S&W? Will the 225 FXT with stand the pressure and velocity of either of these rounds? I realize the data in the Hornady 8th edition mentions this bullet as purpose built for the 45LC but I would like to utilize the bullets that I have for the 454 or 460.

Just a side note to the marketing folks; if you're going to build a purpose built .452 cal it would be nice to have that information on the box and in the description some where. Right now I'm sitting on 100 rounds of 225gr FXT bullets that are apparently of no use to me as I don't shoot 45LC rounds.

Here's Hornady's response:
    Unfortunately, we do not have any data for this combination. The lighter jacket of the bullet could cause some issues in the 454 or 460. I will pass your suggestion on to our marketing dept. Thanks

If you looking for a 225 grain load apparently Barnes is the way to go.

Thatís what I thought sorry man. You could load them over Trail Boss and have some fun anyway though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Would have been nice if Hornady would have put something on the label about being designed for 45LC velocities. At least I only have a 100 to go through. I've shot Speer bullets for years, made just 40 miles from my home town, and never ran into this issue. Might have to do "due diligence" when buying bullets for the 460.

I don't have any 45LC brass so...............Anybody want to trade me out of these 225gr XTP bullets (for use only in 45 Long Colt) for some 300gr GC's. I've got 500 Oregon Trail 250gr's for my "low" velocity rounds

You can load them in 454/460 brass just at slower speed. Fill the case to the built seating depth with Trail Boss, put on your bullets and have fun. They will be roughly about 50% slower than normal loads for the case you use so with 454/460 right in the 45 Colt velocity ranges they were meant for and a can of Trail Boss is cheap.

Here is better detail on how to use Trail Boss.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona