Thread: POW Spring Bear

Default POW Spring Bear

I'm planning to be there for a week in May. Will be doing some bear hunting. My question is; boat vs the road system for a better chance of sucess? Not necessarily looking for the biggest bear, just a chance to get a respectable bear. Do not plan on baiting...time constrained and logistics. Spot and stalk hunting is what I'll be doing.

Either should work fine. If you do the boat gig, be out early in the morning and in evening glassing the beaches.

From the road, glass the southern facing slopes for grassy areas the bears will be feeding in. You'll often see them crossing the road early morning/late evening too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Wasn't there some new rule change about hunting bears off the road system? Don't know the ins and outs, but pretty sure your not allowed to use highway rigs to access your hunting area or something like that. I could be out there on this one though. Maybe muskeg or 270 can correct me.
    Alpine is awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post
    Wasn't there some new rule change about hunting bears off the road system? Don't know the ins and outs, but pretty sure your not allowed to use highway rigs to access your hunting area or something like that. I could be out there on this one though. Maybe muskeg or 270 can correct me.
    They would be the guys to ask. I have not hunted POW, but the info I have given is just my own personal experiences.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You're fine off the road system in May. Roads are closed in Sept. I think they are closed in Oct now too. Hunting beaches/estuaries is how most of the spot/stalk guys get it done. You can either use a boat or drive/hike into the estuaries.

I just flew to and from ktown today.. Lots of snow around.