Thread: Who is hiring?

Default Who is hiring?

This time of year there are normally more Alaska fixed-wing flying jobs being posted on-line at various websites. Hiring seems to be lower than in previous years. Economy? Bum weather during the last two seasons? Tourism down? There are a bunch of helicopter jobs, but very few fixed-wing.

I keep a close eye on jobs myself and also noticed that there are less advertised job openings this season. However I know of several companies that have been hiring recently without advertising. Maybe they just have plenty of resumes on file (or know pilots who are ready to jump on any flying job) so that there is no need to advertise.

Who isnt hiring, that is probably a shorter list right now. I know several operators who have or are looking for pilots to fill their ground schools. Heck, I know several pilots who had their resume out there that got several job offers same day.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Who isnt hiring, that is probably a shorter list right now. I know several operators who have or are looking for pilots to fill their ground schools. Heck, I know several pilots who had their resume out there that got several job offers same day.
    AKHunter-

What's the secret? I sent my stuff to 14 operators up there last week. No calls, no emails, nothing. Offered to help with operational support, customer service, deckhand, you name it. Sent a pilot resume, but also sent a professional resume. Why do I stink?

6500+ TT
    4500+ ME PIC
    ATP
    4 yr degree
    Alaska Flying experience

Although not an Alaska resident, I do reside in the PNW.
    I want employment up there so badly, going to get SES rating next week.
    Also going to fly up to SE the week after and bang on doors.

I would PM you, but for some reason I can't.

I would appreciate any help or specific leads.

Thanks!

I just priced a multi city trip SEA-KTN-JNU-SEA, as well as SEA-JNU-KTN-SEA for this upcoming week, and the week after. $1100. I took KTN out of the mix and priced SEA-JNU-SEA for both weeks as well. $800. I must be spring break up there, eh? At this point, I just don't think its feasible to go knock on some doors. I think I am SOL.

These chief pilots get dozens of resumes and I doubt if any hire a person without a face to face prior. You might try a trip to Juneau and seeing the folks at Wings if you're trying to save airfare.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    These chief pilots get dozens of resumes and I doubt if any hire a person without a face to face prior. You might try a trip to Juneau and seeing the folks at Wings if you're trying to save airfare.
    I don't agree with this. While a face to face could be helpful and could be worth this guys time, it's just not true that no one would hire without one. I know in my own jobs I was hired on just a resume and phone call. If you're going to Juneau to see the folks at Wings you better hurry. When I flew there the ground school started in Mid-April. I flew a Beaver there but I think those are gone, so a little tougher to move over to floats from the wheel operations. A good place to pick up Alaska time in a 207, though.

I dont know about you guys but when I am looking at hiring a pilot I want a face to face before I hire them. I see about 3-5 resumes get faxed in a week and get another 3-5 phone calls a week with the majority of the phone and fax resumes being out of staters who promise to be in Alaska in a month or so. I put the guys who actually walk a resume in in a special file of top picks.

I have also seen that the Alaska aviation community is a very tight knit community. Its all about who you know not what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    I dont know about you guys but when I am looking at hiring a pilot I want a face to face before I hire them. I see about 3-5 resumes get faxed in a week and get another 3-5 phone calls a week with the majority of the phone and fax resumes being out of staters who promise to be in Alaska in a month or so. I put the guys who actually walk a resume in in a special file of top picks.

I have also seen that the Alaska aviation community is a very tight knit community. Its all about who you know not what you know.
    Thanks for the reply. I am headed up to Alaska late next week. Perhaps you're one of the ops I might be able to chat with in person.
    As for "who you know vs. what you know;" This is true, within any industry/community. Unfortunately, I am not networked into your business. Perhaps over time that will change.

Take Care-
    ZP

Physically being there is what I've always done, so I should say it is my experience as to what works. 2 visits over the last few months, and interview and I'm sitting in ground school in ANC now.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    Physically being there is what I've always done, so I should say it is my experience as to what works. 2 visits over the last few months, and interview and I'm sitting in ground school in ANC now.
    Congrats. Where did you get into ground school? What were your times?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPilot View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am headed up to Alaska late next week. Perhaps you're one of the ops I might be able to chat with in person.
    As for "who you know vs. what you know;" This is true, within any industry/community. Unfortunately, I am not networked into your business. Perhaps over time that will change.

Take Care-
    ZP
    Just to follow up on my trip and what I found out about hiring in SE AK.
    I was really hoping to find an operation that that flew both floats and wheels, and perhaps, at some point, I could wiggle my way into floats. To my knowledge, only Ward Air had this option in Juneau. Wings of Alaska had this option before the Seaport Air transition.
    Nonetheless, I headed up to Juneau to bang on some doors. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and accommodating. Ward Air's seasonal pilots are regulars and come back every year. During the summer, they don't fly their wheel plane much. They had not hired a new pilot in 7 or 8 years. In their opinion, it is the same situation in KTN, whereas, seasonal float pilots are regulars that come back year after year. Next I spoke to Wings of Alaska. They were in the process of hiring 11 seasonal pilots. The selections have already been made, so I was too late. However, the assistant chief pilot I spoke to was very friendly and helpful, and chatted to me about the other operators on the field (it seems that they all have a cordial relationship). Due to his suggestion, I spoke to Air Excursions. They stated that there was a possibility that they were going to acquire an additional aircraft in a month or two, however, they were not sure. If they did get this aircraft, they would need to hire one pilot. Another operation I attempted to visit was Fjords Air, however, I was unable to locate any of their personnel to talk to. Later that day, I went down to the waterfront to speak to Wings Air (despite the fact that I have only a handful of float hours), but, the office was closed.
    That pretty much summed up my trip to Juneau.
    I was planning a trip to Ketchikan, but, it looks like all of the seasonal flying there is 100% floats (which is ultimately what I wanted to do), but, I know I am not going to get anywhere with 6 hours of float time.

For each operator I visited, I prepared an application package that included: cover letter, pilot resume, professional resume, copies of certificates, training records from my last gig, and college transcripts.
    I would advise anyone in my shoes to do the same.

In summary, in my opinion, I think a trip like this to seek employment should be late February to early March. I was just a tad too late.

However....

The next week I got a call from Wings of Alaska. One of the pilots they selected for the April 11th class changed his mind, and they needed to fill the spot. I was offered the job over the phone (I didn't even really interview). I suspect that the application package that I gave them was thorough, and that the trip up there to meet them made an impact.
    So, here I am, in SEA, waiting for my connecting flight up to Juneau for the job!

Congrats!!! Enjoy the summer

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Great job Zpilot, now if you would keep us updated so us non pilots can have a little fun through your adventures. Thanks, Mark

zpilot, thats great!!! keep us updated on what your up to