Thread: Brown Bear Limits?

Default Brown Bear Limits?

Okay I want to pick the minds of the smart guys. I'm ashamed to admit that I have a 4 year degree and can't understand the regs. If you kill a brown bear in a 1 bear in every 4 years area, can you kill another brown bear in a 2 bear every year area, also know as predator control areas??? Help me out, going to Game and fresh and ask them later this week but wanted to get your take on this. The way I read the 1 in 4 reg I would say I'm done for the year, however the way the 2 in 1 reads to me is you could still take a bear in one of the 2 in 1 areas. Resulting in 2 bear in the same year. Also if you kill a blackie in a 3 bear GMU, can you still take another blackie in a 1 bear GMU? Just trying to stay straight with the law.

Thanks Steve

Default NO

"Also if you kill a blackie in a 3 bear GMU, can you still take another blackie in a 1 bear GMU? Just trying to stay straight with the law."

You have it backwards for black bears.

If you harvest a bear in a 1 bear unit, you can harvest 2 more in a 3 bear unit.

If you harvest a bear in a 3 bear unit, you may NOT harvest a bear in a 1 bear unit.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The short answer is yes,as long as you don't go to a one bear area your ok.

daveinthebush,your right on the money....

As for the brown bears, it works the same way (actually, it is the same for all species). If you harvest a brown bear in a 1 every 4 unit, you can then harvest another in a 2/year unit, or one next year in a 1/year unit. The 1/4 years regulation only restricts you from hunting in another 1/4 unit for 4 years. Same idea with caribou. If you take one in a 1/year unit, you can then go and harvest another in a 2/year unit.

-Brian

Don't forget to explain the regulatory year to him. So he knows just which season he can begin hunting again.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

in a bear unit thats a one brown bear a year,(open year round) you can shoot one june 30 and one july1st. regulatory year is july1 -june31st. but keep in mind if you get one july 1st, you have to wait till july 1st to shoot another one...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Regulatory Year

A "reglatory Year is": July 1st till June 30th of the following calendar year.

So if you shot one bear on June the 29th, you could take another in the same unit after July 1st. But not be able to take another in the same unit until after July 1st of the following year.

I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-28-2007 at 19:39. Reason: to many years

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks Guys

I thought that was correct with the browns. I guess I will have to wait on baiting in the interior untill after I get back from Vadez.

Thanks again guys

Steve

Question Locking Tags

Are locking tags good for a calendar year?

example: If out of state brother in law of AK resident buys tag to hunt this Spring (2006/2007regulatory year). His locking tag is good for this fall (2007/2008 regulatory year).

i believe tags are the same as hunting licenses, but harvest tickets are regulatory..i belive.
    Master guide 212

Yeah, tags and licenses are good for the calender year.

Default Locking tags

Can you buy more than one locking tag per calender year?? Say you shoot a bear in the spring. That counts against 07 reg year. Then you need a new tag for the fall. So can you buy more than one per calender year. Why does it have to be so hard. Went to Fairbanks F&G today and they had to call another office to get a answer to a differant question, I ask this question as well and got side tracked and forgot to ask again.

Thanks Steve

its my understanding you can buy as many tags as you want...only use the ones that are legal, there is an area with a two brown bear limit so you have to buy two at once. if you fill one tag, go buy another, but some areas in AK residents don't need a grizz tag...make sure you check, don't wanna waste 25 bucks if you dont have to!
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks Brnwbr

I just want to have a tags in hand to enage targets of opportunity, I really want to score on a grizzly. I would hate to be out doing this or that and see one in an area that is open to hunting and not have a locking tag. I now keep a copy of the reg with me at all times. Have seen game that I was not hunting and been unable to confirm if they were legal and want to be a boy scout in this case. PREPARED.

Thanks Steve

I'm thinking that any area that is 1 bear a year, or more, you don't have to buy a tag. Unit 22 is one a year, and 22A is 2 per year, and the 25 buck tag fee was rescinded years ago. Check the regs.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

steve good ideas, i got my first brownie on a caribou hunt, just took the tag as a just in case thing...got a nice bear with my .270, really made the trip for me as the caribou weren't there. Pays to be prepared for that kinda stuff...its nice to have a tag as well incase you have to drop one climbing over your bear fence, then you don't have to give it up to F&G too...
    Master guide 212

I shot my brown bear last spring in a 1 in 4 year bag limit. However, since I shot my bear before the new regulatory year (June/July), I could still go get another bear tag and shoot one in a 1 bear per year area that fall. So, technically, I could have gotten two brownies in one year. Gotta love the regs.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

And if you really get lucky you can take 2 moose in the same calendar year about every 5th year if you live in the right GMU :-)