Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking into eklutna lake archery moose hunt

Default Looking into eklutna lake archery moose hunt

New on here. So i guess they close it when the quota has been reached. If you are are out there when the quota is reached how do you know. Do you need a sat phone to call.

You call fish-n-feathers every time BEFORE you go out and ask if the quota has been met. Talk to a human, get their name, number and what office it was that you spoke with. If it hasn't been met, go hunting. If it has, you waited too long. Sometimes they will or won't tell you what that quota number is either. Depends on their mood I suppose. I've seen them shut it down at 4 moose in the past. Haven't hunted in years, so not really sure anymore what the quota numbers are. You could take a sat phone and call throughout the day I guess while out there hunting to check in. But that's entirely up to you. Best of luck.

It is my understanding that they virtually never reach, or even get close, to the quota.....

You and 300 others will hunt there. Not all at once, but 300 will hunt that lake at least for a day during that hunt. Check the numbers, they support this...

Taylor

ok ill look into a sat phone. If i go ill probably hike in and be out there about a week straight.

Default Save you money

I wouldn't bother with a sat phone. As already stated, the area rarely even gets close to quota. This year, three were taken. I've hunted that area for the past 5 years and that's the most it has seen. I'm not clear as to why that is. It looks like great habitat. If you haven't scouted it out, a pack out will not be a very user friendly adventure. The trails make ATV or Bike/trailer excursions much more attractive. Good chance for a delicious black bear too, make sure you have that tag in your pocket. And don't forget the judo points, the grouse are thick in some areas. Happy hunting in there, it's beautiful, hopefully you'll have better luck in there than I did.
    Twin Peaks Oct 2007.jpg

Thanks im new to moose hunting and im looking for something for me and a buddy to start getting in the brush to get some moose hunting experience. I live in kodiak and that area looked like a good area to start in late season.

Success rates on that hunt are in the 1 to 2 percent range. You are almost guarenteed to not get a moose if you ride up and down the trail on an ATV legal day.

If you want to see a bull take your dog out there to run like I did. Figured heck with the Mathews,,, 20 yards looking at me like a blasted Angus in a pasture. my bad.

Yeah I tried to hunt it this year I Spent about 3 weekends In there on foot. The way to do it would be a boat. But it seemed like everyone that could shoot a bow was hunting up there. I did se a nice griz though one day while I was sitting up on a hill side scoping out the other mt side. He was just above the Tree line right when we got the first skiff of snow this past fall. He was running back and fourth and digging for food. Anyway its archery for them too and you would have to be smoking something good to want to go and chase a big ass griz down with a bow and arrow. Any way the only moose I ever saw with all the hiking i did was one cow moose and it wasn't even when i was hiking. It was in a farm field and I spotted her on the way out when I told myself to give it up in that area. The last I knew was only two bulls were taken out of there when I threw in the towel.

Default Might have an idea why so few are taken...

Hey guys, I live in the area and have hunted it; you are correct it is great habitat; FOR BEARS!! and lots of them. I wish any fellow ethical hunter all the luck in the world; but if you do put one down with a bow be sure to have a bear caliber pistol or shotgun with you when cleaning and collecting your kill.

I've hunted the other side of the lake several times in the last few years.Lots of people and very few bulls.I did call one in 2 years ago but couldn't get him to turn.Like others have said, lots of bears.Bear tracks at every mud puddle and some were huge brownies. A little unsettling when your carrying a bow.With baiting being illegal and an archery only area, I'm afraid moose calves are hit hard by bears.By the looks of the habitat moose should be everywhere,but that has not been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahmby View Post
    Hey guys, I live in the area and have hunted it; you are correct it is great habitat; FOR BEARS!! and lots of them.
    I too live in the area, and you are correct, bears and tons of em'! Funny, living in the valley (wasilla) for 30yrs and always had moose in the yard, never saw a bear. Lived here for one year and saw 1 moose inthe yard and lost count on the bears! Heard plenty O' wolves this winter too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I too live in the area, and you are correct, bears and tons of em'! Funny, living in the valley (wasilla) for 30yrs and always had moose in the yard, never saw a bear. Lived here for one year and saw 1 moose inthe yard and lost count on the bears! Heard plenty O' wolves this winter too.
    I don't know how you could lose count of them I would have had em stacked like cordwood. Bears are dangerous vermin that need to be put down, I don't care what the brownshirts say

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I drew a brownie tag... am excited about it. Where would you suggest in the Eklutna area. I have hunted moose and Blacks in the area a few times... just day hunts. I was thinking the end of the lake and then up the mountains...we will go for a week for black and browns. SO.... WHERE to go for the browns, ....and WHEN will they be out of their dens. I heard that Browns are larger and therefore can den up longer and therefore come out AFTER the blacks do. What do you think?

Negative. Browns will come out first. In fact, I've seen them out as early as the first week of April, but I rarely see a black until a couple weeks later. Browns tend to den up above treeline and blacks down lower in the trees. Of course, there is always a bear or two that ruin this theory.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by bullmaster84 View Post
    Yeah I tried to hunt it this year I Spent about 3 weekends In there on foot. The way to do it would be a boat. But it seemed like everyone that could shoot a bow was hunting up there. I did se a nice griz though one day while I was sitting up on a hill side scoping out the other mt side. He was just above the Tree line right when we got the first skiff of snow this past fall. He was running back and fourth and digging for food. Anyway its archery for them too and you would have to be smoking something good to want to go and chase a big ass griz down with a bow and arrow. Any way the only moose I ever saw with all the hiking i did was one cow moose and it wasn't even when i was hiking. It was in a farm field and I spotted her on the way out when I told myself to give it up in that area. The last I knew was only two bulls were taken out of there when I threw in the towel.
    Brown bear hunting is by permit winning only! Black bear is open for one by harvest ticket. I believe I talked to you one afternoon as I was biking. You were headed back up to your spot to glass, or just came down. Anyways, I saw 9 brown bear in a afternoon across the lake. Pretty cool. Not sure how many black bears I had seen, quite a few also and almost every trip out seen a bear of some sorts. Twin peaks trail on that mountain face I saw 6 blacks just in an evening after grouse and moose hunting. The brown bears appear to be harder to hunt in the area, more around brush where as blacks were higher near tundra. Oh, you mentioned boat, it is non motorized. I saw a boat and motor on a trailer. Looked like they were looking for a place to launch, then figured it out, not gonna happen! No fun when the wind picks and it is a head wind headed back to parking lot! Canoed in for a sheep hunt, won't do that again! Good luck this year.

Looking to do archery hunt, fairly new to hunting, any past experience for harvesting moose in this area? I can see it's been over a year since this thread started, I figured i'd ask to see if there were any updates.

Default Looking into eklutna lake archery moose hunt

Same as every year. Dense thick terrain with limited open grounds. Lots of bears.

Moose are few and far between. It's a tight high walled valley with few ways in/out for moose.

I've hiked quite a bit and seen few moose and lots of bears. Probably 10:1.

Most bulls I've seen are ones that have been hit along the highway where the power line crosses the Glenn just shy of the exit. Every Aug/Sept. 3 last year.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Aside from requiring a permit for bull moose, would i require a tag or permit for black bear archery hunt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast