Thread: Dillon 550B and extruded

Default Dillon 550B and extruded

Any one ever try extruded powders in their 550B? If so, does it meter to your satisfaction? I know that with the magnum powder bar Dillon says it can be done. I was wondering what your experience is with the normal bars and the magnum one.

Near Phoenix, AZ

I adjust to throw short and trickle up. The bars don't do well with long extruded powder. Generally they are +/- .4gr and that doesn't work for me. I've had good metering with the IMR SSC types as well as RL-10X, 15 and 17 . They're a little shorter than some of the traditional extruded powders. They will throw flake or ball to perfection every time.

I bought the magnum powder system as a separate unit and it does very well with Retumbo. +/- .2 in the 90gr range of charge is the norm. If I'm loading for long range shooting I will still trickle each load.

Veneta, OR

it works pretty darn good with SSC extruded powders though BUT in magnums it does make sense to trickle up to finish each load, no big thing

I have. RL15 bridges in the thing, short charges one case, overfills the next...not good in .223

The mechanical setup for the RCBS PM works fine on the Dillon

Thanks for the answers.