Thread: Information for a friend

Default Information for a friend

Folks,

A friend of mine is looking for a half day halibut charter out of Seward. Her husband is deployed right now, and she is trying to throw something together for her and her in-laws this summer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Will

I hear good things about the military charter there.

http://www.sewardresort.com/charterboatmain.html

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you Mr. Steve. She is looking for a half day charter. Someone had told her about Alaskan Northern Outfitters. Have you heard anything about them?

Quote Originally Posted by willyum10 View Post
    Thank you Mr. Steve. She is looking for a half day charter. Someone had told her about Alaskan Northern Outfitters. Have you heard anything about them?
    No Sir, I have not. It is a long run to most fishing grounds from Seward, so you might want to look at Deep Creek it is closer to the fishing area and not as exposed to bad weather. I would also recommend checking out the Sportsman show that will be soon, can often get a deal during the show.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you. I will let her know. I know I am planning my own family trip from Valdez this year. I did the Seward one last year, and like you said it was a long trip out and back. I can't imagine my six year old daughter making it that far out without losing her breakfast. lol

I think you would have better luck finding a half day salmon charter out of Seward than a halibut charter. Like Stid said, generally the halibut grounds are probably out too far for a half day charter. Call around in Seward though and see what is available. Crackerjack, ProFishnSea, Fish House, JustinTime are names I have heard of in Seward
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Half day charters for halibut are not a Seward option. Looking at the distance you need to travel and figuring the tidal movement makes it too difficult to go for halibut on a half day trip. I know that they used to be a thing in Homer. The problem with that was you got onto some ping pong paddles quick and went home. The quality of the trip was not as good as a whole day trip. There are half day rockfish & salmon trips in Seward. They are funa and produce fish. Here is a link to a place that does that. They will work hard for the fish http://www.millerslandingak.com/

Will,
    I'll echo what others have already said, the Charter Boats will have to go too far out of Resurrection Bay to do a half day Halibut Charter.. However, a half day Salmon Charter would work... I imagine your friend targets Seward as it's closer to Anchorage, however, if she's got her mind set on Halibut, I know several of the old, well established Charter's in Homer are offering half day halibut trips... Sean and Gerry Martin at North Country comes to mind... Like Stid2677 already stated, have her Check out the Sportsman show in Anchorage next week, advise her to ask about Military discounts also..../John