Thread: Mt Su !

Thumbs up Mt Su !

I was up there on mon. the 14th. Left Willow at 10:30, stop at Luces at 11:30 for lunch. Hit the trail through Alexander Lake to Trail Lake then to the Mountain Trail. Went almost to the top as it was quite bumpy on top, then marked trail on the way down and went back via the Alexander Creek Trail and Big Swamp to Willow. Home by by 6pm. 128 miles a easy run. Will be going back up on Sat. if weather allows!
    Spring is here, rip it up!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Hey Trail Boss How was the alders this yr? Any trouble getting up though them,All The different Names for the trails Did go up Carl Thomas old rt, and come back on the troop 125 boy scout one They cleared few yr,s ago. Derf Lake? Thanks

Lightbulb Many ways to get there!

Went over to the base on the off Trail Lake on a uname and unmarked trail in the northwest corner to a siesmo line that connects to the ridge right before the base. I will mark this with orange DN. bags today. Which at that time becomes the Thomas Trail if you go north and if you go the other way goes through Derf lake to the Alexander. Some alders were cleared some by the ASSA group that went up two weeks ago.
    As normal they are a pain going up.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Are the trails in the Mat Sue hard pack?

Default Yes!

Yes! This area and up the Su. and Yentna rivers got none of the snow that Anch. got. But things do soften up in the afternoon!
    Mt. Su. trail is starting to get bumpy coming through Derf Lake and up the first third. The Trail off Trail Lake was not bad.
    We did take time to mark the Trail Lake route. and the lower half of Mt. Su. So breaking in the trail next year might be a little easer to find and break in.
    Get out and Ride!
    Before the price of gas goes up again!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Trail Boss Question, how steep are some of the climbs? I have a SWT, They say they are not good hill climbers? Never had it up off the river, Its only yr old hate to roll it off side of hill or something.Or would i be better off with my Old polaris LX wide trak. Thanks

Wink I think so!

As hard as things are you could do it on a SWT. But the bumps are getting a little tuff.
    The bigger climbs are straight runs.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe

Very Good, Thanks. Thinking about Sat, If the clouds stay up above.

Wide tracks are pigs for climbing hills. A short track sport sled will run circles around a wide track going up. If the snow is loose you'll have a harder time. If it's hard you'll walk right up, but if it's hard it isn't much fun. If it's cloudy there isn't much point of that trip, anyway.

Ya, I know Thats why i asked how bad is the hills, I sold my hot**** go fast 900,,Thats only two i have left besides the Wood hauling Cabin machines, old 85 tundra and 83 Enticer. If the tundra was 20yrs younger i would take it But has torn track fixed with a hinge,and about 100,000 miles on it, Ha, Still fires right up though even at -40 below, but i wouldn,t drive that thing further from Cabin then i could walk back,I know you have owned them,So you know what i mean when i say, like riding a log with skies on it..But in its day it was a good climber, It never had enough power to spin the track, It just kept going up and up..

With all this warm weather the snowpack is getting lots of water in it. The more days of sun, the more sun will be needed to soften things up. Riding was actually pretty good last weekend, even in places that had been rock hard a week before. I sure wish we'd get a few nights more in the single digits. One more freight load is all I want to haul. March is too early for breakup. This has got to be a teaser.

Default Mt Su. Sat..

IMG_0629.jpg It was a Awesome trip!!!