Thread: Relocating from the lower 48 to Alaska

Talking Relocating from the lower 48 to Alaska

I will be relocating from California to Alaska in August. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to get household items & 27 foot travel trailer shipped. Have contacted many shipping companies but as of yet, have not heard back from any with any quotes. All of my household items are in storage at this time. Has anyone used a certain company with good or bad experiences? Any information would be greatly appriciated..

Loflyer

I' kind of curious what are the particulars on how are you asking for a quote . Like are you looking to fill a 20'-53' container or palletize everything or what?

Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

I have used ABF and it worked well. The cost was the cheapest quote we got, and they only charge for the space you use. When we shipped it out we didn't even have an address to ship it to, just a city. With them you have to load and unload the trailer your self, but that means that you control how well it is packed too. We used some day labor to unload the truck, huge help and a great price (I paid them twice what they asked because it was worth it).
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

This may sound silly but why not load most of your stuff in the travel trailer and just drive it all to Alaska? Even if you can't fit everything you should be able to put a lot in a travel trailer that size and minimize what you need to ship.

When i moved up I saved a lot of room by selling most of my wifes stuff on Ebay which paid some of the fuel cost. I only brought the inportant stuff like hunting stuff, TV, more hunting and fishing stuff. It sort of worked for me but in the long run she ended up buying it all up here so i am not sure if i came out a head or not but it was fun selling her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    When i moved up I saved a lot of room by selling most of my wifes stuff on Ebay which paid some of the fuel cost. I only brought the inportant stuff like hunting stuff, TV, more hunting and fishing stuff. It sort of worked for me but in the long run she ended up buying it all up here so i am not sure if i came out a head or not but it was fun selling her stuff.
    More times than not If i tried selling my soon to be wife's stuff on ebay lets just say i wouldnt be getting married anytime soon lol.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY