Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenies after the trails in Sutton

Default Greenies after the trails in Sutton

First post here folks but I thought I'd bring some disturbing news I learned this evening to everyone's attention. It seems the Sutton Community Council is in cahoots with some greenies and they want to turn the trail system in/around Sutton into an Eco Tourism area. I live in Sutton and needless to say am not happy at all with the situation. I guess they didn't get what they wanted at Knik so they've moved up the road to Sutton. From what I understand there has been a multimillion dollar grant awarded and there currently are crews out with GPSs mapping the trails in the area for this greenie push. I for one and not in favor for this and think it needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Attached is a link to a pdf on the Sutton Community Councils website outlining this greenie vision.

http://suttoncommunitycouncil.org/wp...s-2.4.2011.pdf

I wish we as ATV users, Hunters, fisherman, in short the guys who like to use machines and eat animals were a little smarter, a little more determined and organized so we could counter this crap. The whole state is going to turn into a non motorized area.

Matt the ATV community responded pretty well to the attempted Knik take over. The greenies certainly didn't get what they were after out there. We could definitely stop them in Sutton too. I'm going to run for a spot on the community council and go door to door out there on this issue.

So from what I can tell this is a made up organization with no real official capacity to do anything. Nothing says official like a Gmail account...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    So from what I can tell this is a made up organization with no real official capacity to do anything. Nothing says official like a Gmail account...
    I would agree to a point. We learned of this from one of the elected members of the council. So it most definitely is a real threat to any motorized use of the trails in the Sutton area. Sutton is unincorporated so this is as official as you'll get.

Good for you Dave! and RFM, I could not agree more. The problem is we enjoy being outdoors so much we tend to leave the BS to the yuppies which in turn screws us. Looks like some good ol' country boys need to start beatin' down doors like Dave. Good luck, you'd have my vote.

Too bad for them they don't own any of the land they seek to control. I wouldn't get to worried as they can't unilaterally do anything except dream.

Chief...unfortunately you're wrong. Again from what I understand they've currently got people out mapping all the trails in area to include any that exist on private property in order to get them recognized as public access trails by the state. That's the first step, then they make their move to ban any/all motorized access.

They tried the same thing out at Knik and got cut off at the pass because of huge turn-outs against at the public comment meetings.

I suspect the same will be needed to stop them in Sutton as well.

Well keep me posted if there is anything I can do.. I just bought a 10K dollar wheeler and I would like to use it without having to drive out to the middle/end of the state.

The trails are on Borough/State/Federal land. They can't do crap except lobby, and looking at their 3/10/11 meeting minutes they tabled the plan after a meeting with the Borough including Mayor DeVibiss.

http://suttoncommunitycouncil.org/wp...da-3-10-11.pdf

and I'm telling you that a member of the community council says that issue is not dead. It's still being pushed by it's proponents and a group working with the proponents just happen to be the beneficiaries of a multimillion dollar grant to map all the trails and push this forward. Ignore me if you like but this thing is real.

I'm not ignoring you, I'm just pointing out they need at a minimum the Borough and State to cooperate as this council has no legislative powers. I don't see Larry Devilbiss being too cooperative in the manner. To counter them simply write your Borough Assembly member and the Borough Mayor. Politicians are used to hearing from these agenda driven "community organizers"............so you'd be surprised how much weight a letter from one NORMAL Voter brings, just be sure to provide your voter ID number on the letter(s).

BTW, them mapping all the trails may be useful to us. I'd be nice if they published good color topos with all the trails on them.

Point taken Chief. However and yes they did table the plan at their last meeting but more specifically the meeting minutes say it has been postponed. At least from the committee's perspective. The problem is the group from outside the community pushing this is continuing on with their baseline work. I'm working on getting more specifics that I'll share immediately once I receive them.

I guess what I'm afraid of is the creep effect and no one noticing until its too late. Lets face it that's what has gone on with everything else the greenie movement endorses for 20 plus years...They figured out you don't eat an elephant in one bite. They nibble away at what they want until before you know it it's too late to stop them.

One problem with Sutton is the area has been included in a management area 4 miles by 4 miles square right behind Sutton - between the state and the borough. The state would probably like to delegate management to the Borough if they thought they could get away with it. Bears watching, let us know when the next meetings are on it if you get a chance.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Mike, They've already had their monthly meeting for March and haven't put the one for April on the schedule yet. I'll pass it on once I get a firm date.

Also, I emailed the council asking for the particulars (who, what, when, where) regarding any and all parties involved in this plan. I'll pass that along as well.

The grant you speak of, if it is the same one and by the amount I am sure it is, was awarded to the Chickaloon native village. The project is to 'map' all the trails in the MSB.

It is worth noting that the ex-assy member from that area, Lynn Woods, was working to get a management agreement with the State for the MSB to manage all the land from Moose Creek to Granite Creek. Lynn Woods has always come across as anti-motorized. The effort didn't get traction at the MSB. I am sure it is not dead.

This week the MSB assy voted to support a new group, The Mat-Su Parks & Trails Foundation, with a grant of 100k. The amount is being matched w/a 100k by the Mat-Su Health Foundation. The P & T Foundation has to raise another 100k, either cash or volunteer work to get the 100k from the Boro. Why is this important? Lynn Woods is the chair of the Foundation... Our group, the Mat-Su Trails Council Inc, asked me to speak in support of the assy reso and I did. I was encouraged that assy members Arvin, Ewing and Noel Woods (not related to Lynn Woods) all pointedly asked the P&T Foundation about their support of motorized trail development. They appeared very concerned that the P&T Foundation will be all about non-motorized use.

About half of the 23 initial trails on the Foundation's 'work' list are motorized/multi-use. I was part of the group that developed the list. It will be critical that all users follow and participate in this Foundations development.

Some other Eska triva. We requested a grant to perform remediation on the Eska trail in '09. We did not get the grant. We will try again. The project included developing a single track trail roughly parallel to the existing trail. Both of these trail layouts were part of a State project done about six years ago. We only sought to make them happen. The Sutton CC was the only opposition. It is sad that the only thing that ever comes out of the CC seem to be complaints & objections (Slipper Lake improvements). They never seem to raise a finger to actually do something (example the trash cleanup done by others last summer). When the trail layout project began we were invited to be part of their trails committee. They never had one meeting...

I hope you get on the CC Board. Failing that, try and get their Trails Committee off the ground.

Scott
    Mat-Su Trails Council Inc

Thanks for the info Scott.

I was able to gather a bit more information today. From what I understand after the Sutton Council voted to postpone any action on the matter the Matsu Assemblyman from for the area Warren Keogh (warrenkeogh.district1@gmail.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) continued on with the matter on his own accord during the assembly meeting after the last community council meeting. The whole thing stinks to high hell if you ask me and I reckon the majority of folks out there do not support this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n_AK View Post
    Point taken Chief. However and yes they did table the plan at their last meeting but more specifically the meeting minutes say it has been postponed. At least from the committee's perspective. The problem is the group from outside the community pushing this is continuing on with their baseline work. I'm working on getting more specifics that I'll share immediately once I receive them.

I guess what I'm afraid of is the creep effect and no one noticing until its too late. Lets face it that's what has gone on with everything else the greenie movement endorses for 20 plus years...They figured out you don't eat an elephant in one bite. They nibble away at what they want until before you know it it's too late to stop them.

Fortunately State Law requires a public comment period for any proposed regulations.

There are many many "Public Comment" periods opening all the time with the State. The problem is finding the ones that affect access on specific trails or through defined areas. The Community Councils are a good way to keep your ear to the track as it were to get notice that these "plans" are coming. First they run "Scoping" meetings, which are usually the first meetings where the "problem" or reason for the "plan" is discussed and alternatives asked for. This is where the general direction of the "plan" is really determined. Waiting until the Public Comment period after the draft plan comes out is guaranteeing you are facing an uphill battle.
    Dave - great work! Keep us informed of what you hear.
    Just an example - the Feds' plan to regulate access and use of the area within 5 miles of the Denali Hwy (the whole length of it that wasn't regulated before) - the public notice for the meetings was a classified ad in the Glen Allen paper. This would affect everyone who hunts along the Denali Hwy. The AOAA got them to have another meeting in Anchorage and 246 people showed up who didn't see the Glenn Allen paper notice. Get that picture?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

MikeEcho-

Will the ATV club be organizing anything to fight this?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast