Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring muskratin'

Default Spring muskratin'

Who does it?
    Last year wasn't the best, probably pulled 30-40 rats.

But numbers seem good this year..
    Anyone see glands yet?

How do you do this LB? I got a wooly boat, but is this an ice venture?

I do! I set trails in the marsh and thier "beds", mostly use floats though.

I hunt 'em in the Spring Flood here on Kobuk river.......Boating around with in the breakup ice flows and jams, with a .22lr and Muskrats having nowhere to live for 2-3 days, we hunt till the gas is gone or the shells run out. Can get 300+ on a good hunt....tooo bad its only once a year...
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I hunt 'em in the Spring Flood here on Kobuk river.......Boating around with in the breakup ice flows and jams, with a .22lr and Muskrats having nowhere to live for 2-3 days, we hunt till the gas is gone or the shells run out. Can get 300+ on a good hunt....tooo bad its only once a year...
    Might not want to talk to much about that means how its illeagle....but I know just how much you enjoy it!

The kobuk is in unit 23 right? Forgive me, but I am not as knowledgable of the trapping regs in that area as I am of the SC regs. After a quick peak it appears hunting rats in unit 23 by firearm is the only legal method starting sometime in June lasting until Oct with no closed season and no limit. Did I miss something wrong or is furfishgame clueless?

I do the majority in canoe... Usually just #1's and home made floats get em.. I also mark there dens in the summer and set for them when ice hits

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    The kobuk is in unit 23 right? Forgive me, but I am not as knowledgable of the trapping regs in that area as I am of the SC regs. After a quick peak it appears hunting rats in unit 23 by firearm is the only legal method starting sometime in June lasting until Oct with no closed season and no limit. Did I miss something wrong or is furfishgame clueless?
    Sorry, sorry, I was clueless, I read in there somewheres that you cold only take fur bearers (under a trapping licence) with a shotgun, bow and arrow, or muzzelloader or air gun, turns out thats only in unit 14, sorry bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Sorry, sorry, I was clueless, I read in there somewheres that you cold only take fur bearers (under a trapping licence) with a shotgun, bow and arrow, or muzzelloader or air gun, turns out thats only in unit 14, sorry bout that.
    A rifle is lehal for trapping most furbearers, BUT you must carefully read the regs.

Furfishgame what page of the trapping regs is the regulation you speak of? I can't find it. I didn't see anything in the regs saying you cannot shoot rats with a rifle in 14A or B. Maybe that is a 14C reg.

Wg, I believe that in certain portions units 14A, B, and C you cannot shoot animals(with a rifle) with a trapping licence.
    These units are in urban areas and no one would be varmint hunting there anyway.
    I love shooting Alaskan rats, one of my favorite activities! Pics would be great if anyone has any.
    They are tough little buggers.

Furfishgame what page of the trapping regs is the regulation you speak of? I can't find it. I didn't see anything in the regs saying you cannot shoot rats with a rifle in 14A or B. Maybe that is a 14C reg.
    The palmer wasilla managment area is off limits to rifles.

The reg Furfishgame speaks of applies to Palmer wasilla management area only. I just found it. So you are right.

I keep the regs saved on my iPhone in PDF format.

The reg Furfishgame speaks of applies to Palmer wasilla management area only. I just found it. So you are right.

I keep the regs saved on my iPhone in PDF format.
    Thank would be handy! I don't like cell phones or Ipods, almost as much as I don't like scopes. I always keep a set of trapping regs with my trapping bag. same as huntingregs in my pack while hunting.

The nice thing is, I'm not in the palmer/wasilla management area!

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Wg, I believe that in certain portions units 14A, B, and C you cannot shoot animals(with a rifle) with a trapping licence.
    These units are in urban areas and no one would be varmint hunting there anyway.
    I love shooting Alaskan rats, one of my favorite activities! Pics would be great if anyone has any.
    They are tough little buggers.
    I'll get you some pictures of last seasons pics tomorrow tailwind..

blind sets always pay off

Thanks LB. That is really appreciated! I've seen a couple of those before and that one with thie pissed of beaver cracks me up. I think he wants to rumble! I hope you let him down lightly...
    Golly, I would love to run a river and do some shooting. That sounds like one hell of a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast