Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau Fishing 2011

Default Juneau Fishing 2011

It's that time of year again folks. Time for the annual Juneau Fishing thread. Things should be starting up here real soon. I was taking a walk on a beach last Sunday and saw 2 dollies in the saltwater. First one was just a swirl and I discounted it as tide or my eyes playing tricks on me. The second was confirmed by my wife. I'm thinking this weekend I'll try to kick things off. Anyone else getting the "itch"?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Yea........I got the "itch" but will have to scratch and suffer another 75 days before I get any relief. Meanwhile, I dose myself with AK saltwater fishing remedy daily. Care to share any good King spots around Hoonah, Gustavus, or Glacier Bay areas?

Or better yet, where to jig a sabiki rig for herring besides Pt. Adolphus? Does Ocean Beauty have herring out front and allow making bait near them?

TIA- Steve-74 days and counting down

Its this time of year that I really miss my Juneau days. Prep the boat starting now ~ 4 am wake ups for the quick run to n. douglas and ferry terminal for a hour herring soak then off to work. Man those were long days. A week spent up excursion inlet in mid may. Runs to deer harbor.

Country roads, take me home........................... at least for the month of May.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

One of the perks of moving back north...

Still I miss Juneau a lot
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    One of the perks of moving back north...

Still I miss Juneau a lot
    Great picture. A lot I love about moving out, but man I miss those dime bright Kings.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Yea........I got the "itch" but will have to scratch and suffer another 75 days before I get any relief. Meanwhile, I dose myself with AK saltwater fishing remedy daily. Care to share any good King spots around Hoonah, Gustavus, or Glacier Bay areas?

Or better yet, where to jig a sabiki rig for herring besides Pt. Adolphus? Does Ocean Beauty have herring out front and allow making bait near them?

TIA- Steve-74 days and counting down
    I wouldn't call it a great spot, but I usually catch something off of Cannery Point, just north of Hoonah. I have caught kings, coho, chums, and pinks there.

Pt Couverden often has some herring hanging around.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It's that time of year again folks. Time for the annual Juneau Fishing thread. Things should be starting up here real soon. I was taking a walk on a beach last Sunday and saw 2 dollies in the saltwater. First one was just a swirl and I discounted it as tide or my eyes playing tricks on me. The second was confirmed by my wife. I'm thinking this weekend I'll try to kick things off. Anyone else getting the "itch"?
    Definitely itching for spring kings. I even thought about tying some hooks this morning (but the thought has passed now). I'd like to find a new motor for my scanoe - the electric one is just too much trouble with hauling the battery and always having to recharge it. I don't imagine I'll try fishing for at least a month yet though - still have grouse to concentrate on for the moment.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Have view straight down the channel from above the H.S. - smoke on the water this morning. Big 'ol breakers battering Pt. Arden. Did see a couple of boats trolling at the Ferry Terminal yesterday afternoon. I still have skiing to do. Ski area closes on April 10th, so I will test run the boat the next weekend. Saw the pic on the front page of the Vampire of them installing the finger float at the N.D. boat launch. It will get hammered this week by the northerlys. Bad call by the Harbors Dept.

I'm with Soggy - blue grouse is a priority before kings. Some trips I'll do both, but kings don't really start picking up until the grouse season is over. Going to the range to shoot my .22 WMRF and Fireball within the hour.

Out side Hoonah try going around Spasky Island for kings, there are a couple ridges that go out from the island that have great bait fish holding and king holding areas. Good Luck.

Gave the channel a try last weekend out of boredom. Didn't see any dollies or fry yet. Any day now, this warm weather will get things moving.

Great fishing in Juneau! Might try it again today!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Great fishing in Juneau! Might try it again today!

I know and you have blacktails, steelheads and cuttthroat frolicking in creek by your house on POW

I'm in Wasilla???

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I like this picture..

Looks like another good spring for oyx34r.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I know and you have blacktails, steelheads and cuttthroat frolicking in creek by your house on POW

I'm in Wasilla???
    Move to Cordova full time.

I like this picture..

Looks like another good spring for oyx34r.

That pic rocks. get's my adrenaline pumping just seeing something like that.

I'm going to play around with some similar colored hoochies today, trying to get dialed in. They ain't touching anything green that I'm putting down, that's for sure... I caught 1 yesterday, and marked 5 at the tide change. Tide change will be around noon today, so we'll see how it goes!

The new raymarine I put in the boat is showing me kings nicely. Not a bad little package for 1k.

Move to Cordova full time.
    I hear you, but my wife gets gets depressed there, a girl can only go to yoga, palades and aerobics 3 times a day there. I don't know what she'd do w/ the rest of her time, but sit around w/ the rest of the Cordovan women and complain about her husband

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

i'll be back the middle/end of April and start to hit the the kings hard........just bought a new knucklebuster set up right b4 i went on vacation, cant wait to get home and break it in right

The hatch has happened in Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by vermilion View Post
    i'll be back the middle/end of April and start to hit the the kings hard........just bought a new knucklebuster set up right b4 i went on vacation, cant wait to get home and break it in right
    Long hitch this time huh? Atleast you got to go fishing in Hawaii. let me know when you're back we'll have to chase a king or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast